(1994-00) Mixing It

Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

(1994-00) Mixing It

Post by Ross »

Mixing It BBC Radio 3 1994

Interviewer: A lot of people complain that electronic music all sounds the same, they can't really distinguish different artists within it. What do you hope that you put across in what you do that people won't hear elsewhere.

Garry Cobain: I'd like to think that somehow people could hear the struggle that we go through in order to accumulate sound and to write music because I think electronic music is the most genuine form of music you can write, and it is the only form of subversive music available right now. Our formless philosophy is that we're absolute idiots rather than pop ego mentality. We're not interested in that. We're trying to do something new and we still haven't achieved it. Nowhere near. I'm actually dead to the music I make, completely. It completely unmoves me.

Interviewer: How do you feel about this?

Garry Cobain: I actually think it's one of the most positive things you can do right now, just not take part in the bullshit of the music industry. We feel this kind of rock'n'roll pressure. In fact I'd like to waltz into the studio, be a genius, do a three minute performance on the keyboard, it's one of the great rock'n'roll moments, it's got a story, it was fantastic, it was a performance. Whereas in fact we're kind of like these bridled idiots that are so stiff with control, 'cause that's what electronics is about as well, it's about this weird kind of control, and I cannot get away from it.

Interviewer: Can you describe these live performances that you're going to be putting down digital phone lines in a few weeks' time?

Garry Cobain: The rock establishment is trying to force electronic music out onto the road, to try and emulate our rock brothers, and we just think that's completely naff and very hypocritical, and we're basically trying to show that there are other ideas and other ways of putting across electronic music. One of the ones that the music industry finds extremely frightening is the fact that it can be piped into the home. Having said that, the essence of what we're doing is basically a live gig from the studio, and it's to millions of people across Europe.

Interviewer: It is essentially quite a mysterious, and powerful and primitive sort of life force.

Garry Cobain: It's just part of the creative process.