(1996-11-01) BBC Radio Leicester

Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

(1996-11-01) BBC Radio Leicester

Post by Ross »

Radio Leicester 1st November 1996

Garry Cobain: ...FSOL basically is about trying to cut out the go and seeing what we can get as a side-product of that, as an extension of the world we're trying to create, we're trying to create something a bit different. I'm into the mythology of... I've been brought up with rock'n'roll and all the great performances from Bowie and stuff, and I don't really want to be two guys stuck with ironing boards on a stage. So, in a way the whole idea at the moment is to invent a world, really, something a bit deeper, and that's what we're trying to do with radio and television. We've got an hour on MTV tonight if anybody has satallite, at 12 o'clock I think, a film going out tonight, so try and catch that as well.

Interviewer 1: Because you're as renowned for your video work as you are your sound work, the video to My Kingdom's absolutely excellent.

Garry Cobain: Excellent, thanks. Well, yeah, we're not really musicians, we're just kind of like street kids who have, by way of sampling and collaging, have learned to appreciate these different mediums in a way, and that means we can apply that philosophy to anything. At the moment, when we get given the opportunity to do radio... We spent two weeks on it, our first radio show ever, which was three years ago. We spent two weeks making the show, and everybody around us - our managers and record company people - were saying "come on guys, get down to some work, you're not getting paid." Our attitude was there could be 30,000 people or whatever, that potentially makes it a very, very big gig. So the idea is just to reach people, really

Interviewer 1: And you're going to do a full half-an-hour session for us now, what are you going to do? Are you going to do stuff off the new album, or is it...?

Garry Cobain: We're going to do a couple of bits from the new album, and just some other stuff as well. Just mince the history of music for half an hour.

Interviewer 1: Well, we'll let you get on with it Garry. Thanks a lot for going to all this time and trouble and sending your engineer up to patch in to you

Garry Cobain: [laughs] No, thank you.

Interviewer 2: Yeah, we're really looking forward to it, and off you go, basically.

Garry Cobain: Alright.

Live transmission.

Garry Cobain: Ok, that's it, thanks a lot for your time.

Interviewer 1: That was absolutely incredible.

Garry Cobain: Thanks a lot, excellent.

Interviewer 1: We are dreaming here, we are dreaming. We feel like we've just had half an hour of meditation. It was absolutely brilliant.

Garry Cobain: Thanks a lot for your time, I appreciate that, it was very enjoyable.

Interviewer: We've got Dylan here, who's always been a fan of yours, he works on the programme, and he's just got a couple of questions he wants to ask you.

Interviewer 3: Yeah, you're getting much harder now, into a more alien sound, I think. Compared to your first album, which maybe people do know, with 'Papua New Guinea' and things, that was much more songy and sweet I think, so are you going to go back that way at all at any time?

Garry Cobain: Yeah, maybe, I'm not sure. There's a battle going on in the studio as we speak, between the two of us, yeah. Maybe. Maybe it's the only way to go, actually. As we called on our last album, 'everyone's into weirdness right now', and it is becoming the norm almost, to hide behind weird sounds. So maybe the best way now is to get a bit more coherent and a bit more...

Interviewer 3: Song based or whatever, yeah. I loved Lifeforms, anyway, I thought the actual title track was one of my favourites for ages, but again you seem to have gone even further this time. With Dead Cities it is quite a sort of alien sound, isn't it?

Garry Cobain: Yeah. I think around Lifeforms, despite the fact there were lots of good sounds out there at that time, they just sounded rubbish in terms of the sonic nature, and we just got into the whole idea of sound and exploring that. We just tried to create an album that sounded really sonic, to use a better word, rather than relying so heavily on the idea of selling albums with singles. We wrote an album with no single on it!

Interviewer 2: Can you give us a quick listing of the tracks you were playing for us there?

Garry Cobain: Erm, yeah, there was... 'Yage', 'Oil', 'Herd Killing', 'We Have Explosive', erm... God, I don't know actually! [laughs]

Interviewer 2: [laughs] They all link togther so well, don't they?

Interviewer 1: I was just thinking we maybe should have booked the full hour!

Garry Cobain: Yeah, that'd've been nice. Another time, that'd be cool.

Interviewer 2: Anyway, good luck with this tour, because I think it's an absolutely brilliant concept, and I know you've done it before with the other album, but it's going really well, and we're very appreciative.

Garry Cobain: Excellent.

Interviewer 1: Thank you very much Garry Cobain and our best to Brian as well. Cheers Garry and Brian.
Garry Cobain: Thanks, guys.

Interviewer 2: Thanks very much. So there they were, live from London, The Future Sound of London, live from the Earthbeat studios, north London, via ISDN. Absolutely brilliant, we love ya!