(1997-05) Mixmag

Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

(1997-05) Mixmag

Post by Ross »

Mixmag May 1997

Interviewer: Broadcasting live from their North London studio via ISDN to the Mixmag Arena. FSOL have only done this once before to the Kitchen building in New York, so this is their UK "live" debut. How do you feel about "playing" Brighton?

Garry Cobain: I don't really have eyes. I don't know how I'm gonna feel-which is quite a nice feeling. For the next two years I'm going to analyse every reaction from everyone, and then make up my mind how I felt about it.

Interviewer: What exactly are you going to be doing?

Garry Cobain: I guess it's a beginning of something we've shyed away from the last couple of years. Pumping audio-visual broadcasts into auditoriums. There'll be people mixing video live at the event and we're going to be performing live from the studio. We're going to have a teleconferencing unit so we can butt in and say things and watch the crowd. The entertainment is not us fiddling with buttons-the entertainment is going to be out there. Spatial freakout. It's going to be interesting.

Interviewer: Have you ever been to any festivals?

Garry Cobain: Reading. [laughs sarcastically] Reading Rock Festivals. Glastonbury. I've been to quite a few.

Interviewer: So what's your best festival experience?

Garry Cobain: I think it was probably Tribal Gathering two years ago. We got caught in the traffic jam. I took some E in the traffic and just built up the importance of the whole festival in my mind. Every band was a disappointment after that. [pauses] That's gonna sound dreadful. [Sound of devilish laughter from partner Brian Dougans in a background]

Interviewer: Which crucial item would you advise people take to festivals with them?

Garry Cobain: Meditation mat. Or if you're taking drugs, don't take those special variety peanuts-because they do your mouth in.