Papua/Murmurations release for Record Store Day?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Papua/Murmurations release for Record Store Day?

Post by Ross »

According to the NME, there is a huge list of releases coming out on Record Store Day, including:

The Fall – 'Night Of The Humerons'
The Flamin Groovies – 'Shake Some Action, Teenage Confidential'
The Flaming Lips - 'The Flaming Lips And Heady Fwends'
The Flaming Lips/Mastodon – 'A Spoonful Weighs A Ton'
The Future Sound Of London - 'Papua New Guinea'/'Murmurations'
The Futureheads - 'Number One Song In Heaven'

Anyone?

The record store day website states:

The Future Sound Of London
Papua New Guinea/Murmurations
10"
QTY: 500
Label: Jumpin' & Pumpin
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Re: Papua/Murmurations release for Record Store Day?

Post by dell1972 »

That's interesting, though also annoying. Wonder if Murmurations is an Environments 4 effort? Wonder how much it'll be trading for on fleabay on April 22nd?
I am the eye that looks within
Ross

Post by Ross »

I hope it's Environments 4, that way I can ignore this and just get it on the album. Record Store Day can fuck right off.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Ross wrote:According to the NME, there is a huge list of releases coming out on Record Store Day, including.....
Apart from possibly the FSOL one, after scrolling though the big list on that link with my fingers crossed I'm happy that there's absolutely nothing I want this year. Yay - I don't have to bear the trauma of visiting over packed record shops ! It's great isn't it that a day originally meant for music fans has ended up alienating a huge amount of music fans :D
Ross

Post by Ross »

It's from Environments 4.
LooseLink
Expander

Post by LooseLink »

Swwwweet.

I'm guessing its a original mix Papua, would be pretty cool if it was a 2011 rebuild as well :D
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Ross wrote:It's from Environments 4.
Woohoo! And there was much rejoicing! I see from your blog that Environments 4 is "following shortly" too. That sounds like a step further on from "Coming Soon" in FSOL parlance :D
Ross

Post by Ross »

Yeah, it's finished and the ball's rolling on the release, it's just a case of sorting out copyrights, getting it manufactured and such now, so not long to wait.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I guess the big question is whether Environments 4 is entirely new material. It seems like we've all come to the assumption that it is. For all we know, Murmurations for example could be an archive recording from back in the day.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I get why you guys are pissed off for these limited record day sellouts - but I just wanted to say, be happy that you have them - and be happy that some cool shops are trying to survive.
Here, in most of Eastern Europe, record shops died out in 2003/2004.
In Skopje, with 800K population, we only have 3 or 4 shops that sell only local folk music and some posters and games and NOTHING ELSE. Its sad to have to wait some friend to go in EU or overseas and to bother him to get you some albums...
Luckily the Internet saves the day but its just not the same...

About Env4, I still think there will be some hints of old material, 10-15% - just to connect the whole thing :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross

Post by Ross »

I really like the idea of record store day, I really like the idea of supporting independent businesses in general, I just think it could all be done a bit better so it's not just about profit. The idea is to get people to go to record shops more, but if anything it actually puts me off, because I don't want to queue up and buy things in the madness that will ensue. Staggering these releases throughout the year (and doing them in runs of, say, 2,000) would be a much better idea. Nurse With Wound released an album to retail for 99p that was only made available through independent stores, asking fans who went out and bought it to take a look around other stuff in the shop while they were at it. I love that idea.

I miss going into shops and buying CDs, it was always the highlight of my week as a kid, waiting to get some money at the weekend and racing into town to get the latest Underworld single or some back catalogue album that I'd been after for ages. Waiting for a parcel in the post really isn't the same. Even getting CDs here, outside of cities like London/Leeds/Manchester, is difficult unless you're interested in stuff that's graced the top 40.

As for Environments 4, I have no idea what the contents will be, but I have a feeling it'll be mostly new stuff. I doubt we'll recognise much there.
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

I think the initiative is good but is a bitch for those who are outside uk. I miss the days of record stores here as when i was younger and think same things as said Ross before.Here only have a little heavy metal and top of the pops cds shop that sometimes surprises me with cds from Sanctuary distributor with low cost cds and i saw "nurse with wound "el perro del mar" "trojan furry selection by a super furry animal","photek productions" or "nightmares on wax" albums in a low cost cds and give thanks to god for find nice/cheap cd´s of fucking good music on my country.
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
Ross

Post by Ross »

Here in Maidstone we have HMV, which has no FSOL, although MPB3 is there. Tangerine Dream, Eno, Aphex, that's about the only really interesting electronic music you can buy in the town. When I was a kid, even the big high street chains like WHSmiths and Woolworths - for those outside the UK, those were primarily a book shop and kids' department store - had huge CD sections which had back catalogues of FSOL and the like. I miss the independent record shop in my town the most, which is where I got most of my CDs, even after I'd got the internet. It closed a few months after I moved away to university (I sometimes joke I was the only one keeping them open, haha). I even worked there for a while.

I only started buying CDs online about three years ago really.
bomb23
Hardhead

Post by bomb23 »

Is this a Europe only RSD item? I checked recorstoreday.com and the 10" isn't listed... anyone know?
thanks! -M-
Ross

Post by Ross »

Probably, as there are only 500 and it's distributed by J&P/Pinnacle who only ever seem to do UK releases.