Field recordings behind Lifeform tracks

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
phuture
Hardhead

Field recordings behind Lifeform tracks

Post by phuture »

Hi,
I'm new to the board, but long time FSOL fan.

Last Thursday night, early morning I was streaming Soho Radio and an eclectic mix show was playing ambient, field recordings, abstract sounds. Unfortunately, I don't know what the show was called. I've inquired with them and they've pointed me to Mixcloud where their shows are uploaded but I've yet to find what I'm after.

During one of these shows the DJ introduced a field recording. He mentioned the name "Wallace" - but not sure what that referred to. He also mentioned field recordings akin to Attenborough's nature field recordings, etc.

Anyway, this recording starts and it is totally the sample underlying the backdrop of what I think are multiple Lifeforms tracks. Same exact speed, everything. It was so enjoyable to hear the raw material that FSOL used to piece their tracks together and I'm now on the hunt for what this was.

I'm hoping someone here may know more about this mysterious track. I apologize for my lack of clues.

I believe it could have been underlying tracks like Ill Flower, Flak, etc. I believe this sample was split up and backing natural sounds across multiple Lifeforms tracks.

Many thanks!
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Re: Field recordings behind Lifeform tracks

Post by mcbpete »

No way - even more samples for the sample box ! Fingers crossed you manage to source the set
Welcome to the board - Great first post :)

(Could you have misheard Watson as 'Wallace' ? - Chris Watson was/is pretty much the leader in the field recording artist world): https://chriswatson.net/category/releases/
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

News to me - but definitely interested to find out more!
phuture
Hardhead

Post by phuture »

I finally found what I was looking for. Unfortunately, the soundscape I heard was NOT backing FSOL Lifeforms in 1994, as what I heard was released in 2019.

However, it was indeed sourced from Chris Watson and his "Glastonbury Ocean Soundscape". https://open.spotify.com/track/1E34fYWS ... JEMqM8U2Bw. Thank you mcbpete for the Chris Watson comment. Very interesting stuff!

I ultimately found it on the 1/12/2019 "Moving Sounds" show by James Heather. (https://www.mixcloud.com/sohoradio/movi ... -01122019/. I was a bit thrown off by the date because I heard the show on 12/12 and had a difficult time finally finding the original show in question.

Even though this isn't the outcome I was hoping for, which prompted my initial post, I am glad to have learned of Chris Watson. I think some of you will find the Glastonbury Ocean Soundscape interesting and vaguely reminiscent of FSOL's Lifeforms and find enjoyment in it.

Happy listening.