Facebook comments and stories

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Facebook comments and stories

Post by Ross »

Didn't seem to be a suitable thread for this, so I thought I'd start one. I know not all of you have FB, or have the time to scour Gaz's comments threads for nuggets, so I thought I'd throw the interesting ones in over here. I'll throw in any interesting snippets from conversations with Brian should any be suitable too. First up, some interesting info on the making of My Kingdom:
lonely old Shoreditch rainy night 95 just got my home studio updated with a new Akai S3200 sampler and spliced the initial samples together with a lop sided beat that slowed down every drum roll . Appears in a John peel radio 1 session in that form .Brian started reworking the beat over at Earthbeat HQ and we’d recently done a recording session ( on another track ) with Richie Thomas Dif Juz drummer ( a band I loved from 80s who I’d bumped into at a party) . He’d launched into this beat between takes which is why it’s credited as ‘ caught with the dat running ‘ . A little tweak & It sounded great replacing the existing beat and even better when the reverse kick drum overlaid . Brian pulled out the blade runner soundtrack for the Mary Hopkins sample , we added the sequence and worked on quite a few touches for the single version .
One of my fave sounds is the surging voice sample Brian added which is an old trick of his using his old Ibanez delay rackmount which had a sample feature and huge delay times. Sampled that and played it into a sequence . We used to take breaks in a nearby scuzzy London park . Was so scuzzy it was always deserted . We’d sit on a slight mound which gave us a sweeping view of the scuzz and one day I swept my hand across the horizon and said ‘ ahhhh my kingdom ‘ went back to the studio and it’s scuzzy grandeur seemed befitting
I pointed out that he actually meant 1995, and he said the whole era is a bit foggy for him re: specific dates.
Ross

Re: Facebook comments and stories

Post by Ross »

From Brian, a one-of-a-kind white label 12" of the Translations promo with the exclusive edit of The Lovers on one side:
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Whoa cool. What is "Papua New Guinea (Amorphous Androgynous Translations)" ?! 10:24 is not a length of any of the individual Translations on the CD release.

Post by Ross »

It's a very slightly longer mix of Papsico. I should probably whack the two into Reaper to see where they deviate.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Eight extra bars at 6:48.
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Well there you go :) Not too much difference then.
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Thank you for solving that mystery - my guess was that it was two of the adjacent tracks in the CD version put together!
Ross

Post by Ross »

Just a quick one, there's a new FSOL twitter page: https://twitter.com/fsolyage
Ross

Post by Ross »

Brian informs us Environment Five CD repressing is on its way.