Fractional Difference - Exploring FSOL song-by-song

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Re: Fractional Difference - Exploring FSOL song-by-song

Post by mcbpete »

Ross wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:50 am It's alright, we'll chalk it down to you still being distracted by how good the new We Have Explosive is.
Yep that's exactly it :D

(BTW and apologies to derail the thread, if I leave this in brackets maybe no-one will notice! The intro 30 seconds or so of Exotype is the most incredibly detailed bit of sound production I've heard from them (and possibly anyone!) - my [obnoxiously expensive] headphones have never vibrated with such clear precision of the frequencies until that track passed through them!)
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Yes, that bassy synth is up there with the EMS at the start of Among Myselves in terms of deep, intense FSOL sounds. The sound design on this album overall really reminds me of Built by Humanoid, with its ludicrously complex intense programmed combined with characteristic FSOL cavernous reverb.

Something I've always been open about is the fact that I've never rated We Have Explosive, right from my first listen of Dead Cities, so I'm very pleasantly surprised that this has immediately become my favourite FSOL release since at least Environments 4.
nanio tine
Hardhead

Post by nanio tine »

thanks for this ross - really great to get lots of details that aren't all common knowledge! when's the next entry coming ?
Ross

Post by Ross »

Cheers. Should hopefully have the Papua tracks done tomorrow or Tuesday, then I'm away for a week so won't be moving on with the rest of 1992 until the week after.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Ok, tying up the Passion Music era today!
Aircut - Visual Attack (1992)
-Visual Attack (Humanoid Attack)
-Visual Attack (Oh Bonic Assault)
-Visual Attack (Oh Bonic Attack)

Semi Real - People Livin' Today
-7" Mix
-Original
-Med Mix
-Endorphine Mix
-Deep Field Mix
-Radio Med Mix

EarthBeat
Three exclusive tracks / mixes:
-Mental Cube - Q (EarthBeat Version)
-Yage - Theme from Hot Burst
-Smart Systems - Tingler (Remix)

And that's it for Debut and Jumpin' & Pumpin' (for now). Four radio shows, Metropolis and a bunch of remixes still remain for 1992.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Kiss FM Test Transmission 1
This took a while.
molo
Hardhead

Post by molo »

Ross wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:03 pm This took a while.
It was very worthwhile IMO. I really enjoyed reading it, thanks!
Ross

Post by Ross »

Awesome, thanks. :)

John Peel Session 1
Recorded 25/08, broadcast 18/09.
Lifeforms / Expander (Remix) / Papua New Guinea / Space Hippy.

mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

The first thing I learned from reading that epic 'Kiss FM Test Transmission 1' beast: Idiot boy here never bought the copy from the The Pod Room as I [thought I] had a copy of the set on my external drives for years .... but nope I just had this didn't I - "The bootleg captured about 50 minutes of the show, beginning with ‘Chile of the Bass Generation’ and fading out with the ‘Yage’ flutes." ​

EDIT: Actually no I've no idea what I have, got 2 sets definitely incorrectly labelled though:

- I've one titled '1992 - Kiss FM 14-09-1992' but it's 91m08s, starts off with 'You are listening to a test transmission' spiel and first bit of music is the whistly bits from the end of In Mind. Various Yage/Cyberface dialog between a DJ set of various early 90s ambient techno tracks and abruptly cuts off at the end. In the id3 tags it says 'DJ Barney 2007 - The "Test Transmission Ambient Radio FSOL" Archive Project.'

- And a second named '1992 - radio demo circa 1992' runtime 91m20, starts off 'Please select time zone - You have selected the future', the first bit of music being 'Lifeforms'. Again various Yage/Cyberface talk and various artists throughout, the voice before the tape starts to fade out says 'The Future Sound of London on Kiss 100 FM - moving further into the future'

Do I just have two random 90minute snippets of the 14-09-1992 set, or are these two different transmissions altogether ?!
Ross

Post by Ross »

The one that starts with the In Mind environment is Test Transmission 2, which I'll be covering tomorrow. We don't actually have a broadcast date for that, although it's definitely not 14/09. The second is the first half of Test Transmission 1. There are a lot of bootlegs that have come to light since the old Disenchanted days, this must be one of them! I still check YouTube and Mixcloud every now and then for any that might have been recorded that we don't have Pod Room versions of (none have turned up yet).
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Thanks Ross, knew you'd know exactly what they were - Time to tidy up those two files, can't be having mislabelled mp3s on my drives ! :lol:
Ross

Post by Ross »

mcbpete wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:31 pm can't be having mislabelled mp3s on my drives
Until the next FSOLDigital release.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Ross wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:57 pm
mcbpete wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:31 pm can't be having mislabelled mp3s on my drives
Until the next FSOLDigital release.
Oooh you :lol: