From the Archives 7 out November 19th

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Re: From the Archives 7 out November 19th

Post by Dennis »

Apocalypse Now.
Magnificient Insignificance
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Guys, does anybody know if FSOL are planing to release all archives as a boxset in the future? I would really like to have this one, instead of buying them separately. Something like that maybe? :) I bought this ages ago, the same day it was released, i remember i was so fuckin happy...

I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

dubmasta wrote:Guys, does anybody know if FSOL are planing to release all archives as a boxset in the future? I would really like to have this one, instead of buying them separately. Something like that maybe? :) I bought this ages ago, the same day it was released, i remember i was so fuckin happy...

[SP box set]
Well, as you probably know (as you own it), that wonderful release is a compilation of singles, as where the Archives are full albums, so it's a bit different and they are still widely available. But I'd too like to see all the Archives albums (with the enhanced editions of course) released as a box set.. but who knows how many is still to come. Same goes with the Environments series too.

I'd also like to see all the recent AA remixes released as a compilation too.. that would be awesome :D
from the source flows the endless...
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Well, i think it doesn't matter that this is a box set of singles and not full albums. There are some truly amazing songs on these CDs which i adore, obviously songs that didn't finally become a part of their "Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness" masterpiece, i could even admit that i was especially influenced at that time by some of these very songs. This case reminds me of tracks from Archives, which as far as I know were not initially intended to be a part of any album. It is after a damage on FSOL's hard drives occurred that gave life to Archives. That's why i dont think that this is any different. Just imagine a lovely box like that, with all the Archives (yes, with the enhanced editions of course + the following volumes :) nicely placed one next to another, and a fatty booklet with the crazy alien FSOL pictures and stuff, oj oj yummy yummy :)

There is of course the issue of "how many more archives?" so that this kind of box set can be compiled. But its their music after all, and i dont really think there could be a reason why guys could not release this kind of box set at some point, satisfy their fans, and help themselves financially to continue this miracle of FSOL. We want to support FSOL, we love them...

...same goes for Environments of course
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

A box of the archives would be nice, though the accompanying words on the site for volume 7 implies they're not finished yet. Kind of reminds me of that answer phone message from Richard d James on ebs6 where he says call me when you've stopped making music. Is that what they do literally all day every day?

They could clear up with sets of singles not to mention remix compilations from their careers if they had the rights and inclination. I guess a lot of artists though are more interested in creating and going forward. How long before we get an amorphous archive or a latter day fsol one?
I am the eye that looks within
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

"Is that what they do literally all day every day?"

Not sure of course, but from 93' up to the end of millenium the sheer quantity of tracks they must have produced in that time is in fact simply breathtaking. I guess it's just the same with AA from 2002 up to today, if it happens one day that they will open the 'amorphic archives' I will definitely need a new CD racket for those releases alone.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Those who are on the mailing list will have received an email promoting this, which also reveals, staggeringly, that Walls of Thought was recorded in 1991.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

WoW, 1991, looks like B&G were ready for some serious ambient experimenting even in 1988-1991 period,
but the fame of Stakker, PNG, Expander and the similar stuff made them carried away in the more techno oriented streams for some time...
You're doin' too much, do less.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

"All orders of From The Archives Vol. 7 purchased through FSOLdigital will also receive an exclusive download of two further tracks; “Hydro Medusa” and “Abandoned Housing Blocks of Prypiat"

...does this mean the tracks are not going to be included on the CD format? :(
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

"...only to be lost shortly
afterwards (because the multitracks were was buried under a pile of
equipment in a box, in a store room) to resurface 21 years later."

Haha, funny insight on how they don't seem to stop coming up with "new" old material.
This is exactly the kind of condition I always imagined the guys dwelling in their earthbeat-studio. Finding some tapes buried under 'a pile of equipment' after more than 20 years since its recording has definitely something from an archeological quest."Hey Brian look what I found!" "Wow! If I just could remember having recorded something like that..." :D

And yeah, I don't like this bonus track shit too. I mostly buy the cd's when they are out here in the shops, it's always the easiest way for me, but now with 2 download bonus tracks I think I will order the bundle.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Ross wrote:Those who are on the mailing list will have received an email promoting this, which also reveals, staggeringly, that Walls of Thought was recorded in 1991.
It could've segued in perfectly with the end of It's Not My Problem had they released it.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

I wish the bonus tracks were included in physical format, and i wanted the CD so much :( guess will have to go digital again
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Dennis wrote:Haha, funny insight on how they don't seem to stop coming up with "new" old material.
This is exactly the kind of condition I always imagined the guys dwelling in their earthbeat-studio. Finding some tapes buried under 'a pile of equipment' after more than 20 years since its recording has definitely something from an archeological quest."Hey Brian look what I found!" "Wow! If I just could remember having recorded something like that..." :D
That's been William Basinski's patter for over a decade now :lol:
Graham Hicks
Hardhead

Post by Graham Hicks »

dubmasta wrote:I wish the bonus tracks were included in physical format, and i wanted the CD so much :( guess will have to go digital again
Whilst the bonus tracks don't come on the CD you will still get sent a link to download them if you buy through FSOLdigital.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Thanx for the reply Graham. Either on CD or mp3 , im ordering A7 the next days.