Gaz writes in Mojo on Pink Floyd

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Gaz writes in Mojo on Pink Floyd

Post by dell1972 »

http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2011/08/ ... floyd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do wish he wouldn't capitalise for emphasis. It's an interesting though typically meandering essay. Personally I thought they peaked with Meddle, always loved the dog solo in Seamus and the majesty of Echoes. After that, I agree with Garry, they do tend to lean on the shadow/absence of Syd Barrett, admittedly to great commercial success.
I am the eye that looks within
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Re: Gaz writes in Mojo on Pink Floyd

Post by dell1972 »

Actually it is alleged here that the accompanying CD contains a version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond by The Orb. Will have to look out for this. I'm surprised they didn't get the AA to do something for it.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

It's not often enough (in my experience, at least) that people comment on that lyrical slant of Floyd, of the dawning realisation that life isn't the wonderful experience that we're led to believe it would be, of the resignation and acceptance of oppression and corruption. For years I listened to them because they wrote good tunes, but eventually the words really began to resonate with me. So yeah, nice article, tedious capitalisations. But hey, it's Gaz.

Typically my favourite Floyd records are the oft-ignored (or even hated) ones: More and The Final Cut, although I do also love Animals and Piper. The others I find patchy but have some fantastic moments. Except The Wall, I can't listen to that apart from Nobody Home. When they start doing all the Beatlesy harmonies that plague the second disc, ugh...
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

ha! final cut is the worst imo.
it's like leftovers from the wall and has no rick wright....essentially a waters solo album

i REALLY REALLY f'n love floyd.....every note ;)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Definition: Well, if someone doesn't like/love Floyd - doesn't know SHIT about music :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross

Post by Ross »

seedy wrote:ha! final cut is the worst imo.
it's like leftovers from the wall and has no rick wright....essentially a waters solo album
All correct, I just love the melodies and the piano/string arrangements, and lyrically the first side (with When the Tigers Broke Free in its rightful place a la the CD version) is one of the most poignant and heartbreaking sets of songs I've ever heard. The aforementioned Tigers... still makes me well up these days.
Pandemonium wrote:Definition: Well, if someone doesn't like/love Floyd - doesn't know SHIT about music :)
Nah, I know lots of people who've got broad, well thought out tastes who hate Floyd. Even Syd thought Shine on You Crazy Diamond was 'like something my dad would listen to'. They're very safe music.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Its not like I listen to them every week or something,
but unlike you Ross, I haven't met anyone who 'knows' music and hates Floyd :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Ah. I've heard them described as the worst band of all time on more than one occasion. Lots of people tend to prefer the more raw/direct approach and find Floyd a bit on the overproduced/slick side of things, and that's something I can completely relate to, as I find myself thinking that about Wish You Were Here on the most part, the overly slick production and excessive guitar masturbation makes it seem very false to me.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

The self indulgent guitar solos and glossy production does tend to increasingly leave a bitter taste in the mouth. That and the fact that the richer they got, the more miserable they became. It's no surprise the punks hated them. I must admit I do like Animals for exactly those reasons though: oppressively morbid and with banks of guitar solos. Ironically Hawkwind sounded very similar to them in the late seventies and yet the punks loved them.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Indeed, the 'punk' route tends to avoid Floyd. That's punk in attitude and approach rather than just three chord shouty music, of course.
I actually think Animals is more punk in spirit than most of the famous '77 punk albums really, other than possibly Pink Flag. And I reckon The Final Cut is a far more effective anti-Falklands record than Crass's Yes Sir I Will.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Im going to start by saying once again that i could listen to Gaz for hours, i just get carried away by the way this man expresses himself. This guy must have been a philosopher in ancient years. "The problem was that now I could also see the DARK clearly too..."....this gave me the shivers. Concerning Pink Floyd, ive also heard bad words that surprised me to be honest at first. I never thought that there would be even one person who doesnt like them, but if we think about it a little, many people dont like Nirvana either. Yet, its impossible to ignore the huge musical importance of the band and Kurt Cobain especially. I remember the sound of Floyd since i remember myself, the Beatles, Floyd, Sabbath, Zeppelin and the rest was always playing at home. i think Floyd are a unique band and is the best rock (and not only) band that has ever existed together with Led Zeppelin. although rarely do i listen to their music nowadays it strikes me every time i listen to them. also the fact that they decided to stop making music makes me respect them even more, unlike countless other old bands that keep playing even today, mostly for the sake of money. but again, this is my personal opinion.
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
Ross

Post by Ross »

Quite - I loathe the music of Nirvana. ;)
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

haha :) i see. im mostly referring to "In Utero" which revealed the genius and true intentions Cobain had musically. This album sounds like no other and is as important as "Dead Cities" for me, even though i hardly listen to it anymore. but when i do, it all comes back...
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

I'm a huge Floyd fan.. at one point I listened to them ad nauseam, so I lost the taste for them a bit. I think there's time for all kinds of music, and there are definitely times I don't like listening to PF. For me, it's onward from TDSOTM to Division Bell (which I think is a great album). It's a journey. TBH, I never really got into the early, more experimental stuff.

I always thought FSOL as the Pink Floyd of electronic music. Definitely carries the same epic (and genius) aspects. Two of my favorite bands.
from the source flows the endless...
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

tryptych wrote:I always thought FSOL as the Pink Floyd of electronic music

same here...