The Cartel

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Re: The Cartel

Post by mcbpete »

epitome wrote:I haven't got into AA yet, too busy working through FSOL stuff. Although I have bought (but not listened to) Tales of Ephedrina.
Tales of Ephedrina is more a FSOL thing (I think I'm right in thinking they're meant to be stuff that didn't fit into Lifeforms), but when you hit The Isness ... well you'll notice the contrast 'tween FSOL and AA then :D
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

mcbpete wrote:
epitome wrote:I haven't got into AA yet, too busy working through FSOL stuff. Although I have bought (but not listened to) Tales of Ephedrina.
Tales of Ephedrina is more a FSOL thing (I think I'm right in thinking they're meant to be stuff that didn't fit into Lifeforms), but when you hit The Isness ... well you'll notice the contrast 'tween FSOL and AA then :D
Yeah, that's why I bought Ephedrina, sounded very FSOL-y :)

I have listened to a couple of AA tracks on YouTube and some other samples... might not really be my thing, to be honest. I still might give them a proper chance one day though.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Gaz has been uploading stuff to Youtube again.

The First Billion is the Hardest

and remember this folks. Looks like he's tarted his stream of consciousness rant with some music:
I Don't Give a Damn (About The Man)
I am the eye that looks within
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

I think I'm one of the few people on here that isn't super into AA. I like some of the tracks but many of them just aren't my cup of tea, including the Cartel. Prefer the more electronic stuff or the really mellow stuff like Hightide on the Sea of Flesh.
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Don't worry - I'm part of that few too :)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

And I think I will be as well, but as I said earlier I do still plan to give them a fair try one day :)
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

I do love the Abbey Road cut of The Isness, the other stuff is definitely less up my street, although there are some fantastic tracks - Plankton, Oblivion, Drifter, the Oasis and Noel remixes. And of course the proto-Environments stuff like The Wicker Doll.
From the clips, I reckon the more overtly soundtracky stuff on The Cartel will go down a treat.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Aye it does sound a little more funky - I'm still to download it, but I reckon it'll be pretty ace.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

oh i love me some AA but i think there are plenty here that enjoy fsol so much more

to me they are just different beasts.....AA is a psychedelic band....FSOL is an electronic act

two of my favorite bands ever are floyd and the beatles.....so for me AA touches on a lot of those vibes.
AA is simply f'n great......i just never bother to compare
apples n oranges :)
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Absolutely - I think that's a healthy stance to take !
beetles
Expander

Post by beetles »

"I think I'm one of the few people on here that isn't super into AA. I like some of the tracks but many of them just aren't my cup of tea, including the Cartel. Prefer the more electronic stuff or the really mellow stuff like Hightide on the Sea of Flesh."

Me too. Just don't really get it. I think I waited so long for FSOL to come back when they had their break and they came back with the AA stuff I was so disappointed.Never really got over that.But i'll give The Cartel a listen and see how it goes.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

I really like Floyd, The Beatles and a hefty load of British psych and early prog, so stuff like that really appeals. It's more the stuff that seems to be based around psych-funk, groove/jam based music and so on that doesn't really do much for me. Another album of Goodbye Sky/Plankton/Sunshine Day/Egghead and I'd love it.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

melody vs groove :)

i love it all and i think AA really has their own unique brand of music. the groove/funk oriented stuff as we say and the more dreamy floating stuff like goodbye sky.
these cartel clips just capitalize on that groove sound they have methinks.
these sounds are right up their alley and we now realize they were hinted at in the past with tracks like snake hips etc.

*straps on mustache*
LET'S DO THIS! =()
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Well, I love funk and psychedelic stuff a LOT - so AA got me by the balls since day one in 1997, but when The Isness came out my mind was overexposed to pure awesomeness.

I mean, yes, if I have to choose/compare, I too probably like FSOL a bit more, but just a little bit. (as we said, apples and oranges)
You're doin' too much, do less.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

OffLand wrote:I think I'm one of the few people on here that isn't super into AA. I like some of the tracks but many of them just aren't my cup of tea, including the Cartel. Prefer the more electronic stuff or the really mellow stuff like Hightide on the Sea of Flesh.
I think the majority of people here isn´t so much keen on AA. It´s in parts so much away from what FSOL was/is famous for.
But you can count me in, my appreciation for a wide range of 70ies progressive/psychedelic rock is even older than my interest in electronic music, so for me it was a very positive surprise when my old FSOL friends ('Dead Cities' was my first own bought CD with electronic music) came up with a 'progressive rock' record of that stellar kind back in 2002, it was kind of least what I expected from them,it was like the two musical worlds I was into during that time merged into one masterpiece of music.
(not to mention all that spiritual stuff that surrounded the album, coincidently I was heavy into that when the album came out, reading Ram Dass´ 'Be Here Now', couldn´t have fitted better!)
So really looking forward to 'the cartel', like to any other new FSOL release!
Magnificient Insignificance