FRENCH LIVE 97

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Re: FRENCH LIVE 97

Post by epitome »

Let's be honest... I AM going to get the entire Podroom :D

So, yeah, I just kinda wanted an idea if any stood out, and I'd get those first. But chronologically sounds good - that's the way I usually like to do things anyway :)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Ok, cool. I might get one or two of those first... and THEN go chronological after that :geek:

I love that there's so much FSOL goodness out there to listen to. I feel like I'll still be going through all this stuff a few years from now :)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

What about the Electric Brain Storms thing - what's that like. I really wish they had track lists on these.

And what happened to the first 6 volumes?
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Man you're like when I discovered the (long since closed) disenchanted FTP site full of archived FSOL radio sets. I'd only had the internet for a year or so and bought their albums to date (this would've been just prior to the Isness) thinking that's all there was, then suddenly I had these dozens of sets full of hours worth of new and mixed FSOL goodness. It was quite overwhelming (especially as this was back when I had a 56 Kb modem and could only download ~15Mb an hour)

EDIT: Holy shit, you've got the brainstorms to listen to as well ! They're flipping amazing. Alas the first 6 are down possibly due to licensing reasons (they're each 1-3 hour mixes of their tracks mixed in with other peoples stuff). Some of the tracklisting can be found here - http://www.discogs.com/label/The+Pod+Room
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Yeah, I feel like I died and went to heaven when I discovered FSOL ;)

So, are there any exclusive FSOL tracks on any of those EBS Volumes? Sorry, but I'm not familiar enough with all the track names to know! I'm only on to Environments 3 and Archive 2 :o
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Erm, I'm not sure - like you say there's just so much stuff ! I think they were exclusive at the time - they'd stick in tracks that'd then appear in the later Environments and Archive albums, though they're more just great FSOL themed mix sets. If you've heard our Terminal Radio stuff then you'll get the general feeling of it.

The one that's on there (No.7) is actually my favourite so it's good that it's still there !
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Right, I'd better grab Vol. 7 before it disappears then!
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

You won't regret it - I get goose pimples every time on the last third of it :D
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Can't argue with that. Bought. And yes, it took me that long to keep guessing my FSOLdigital password and then reset it...
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

lol yeah i didn't answer epitome because he already knew what my answer would be.....ALL!

i must say that these shows really grew my love for fsol. i spent a lot of time tracking those shows out and so it was a great journey going through all of them. you'll hear many similarities between the gigs but in a way that was part of the appeal for me. you hear these themes over and over and samples and snippets but they are in different orders and lengths and well you just never know how "standard" the next few minutes will be
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Epitome, don't be overwhelmed by the volume of the material.. I'd seriously consider going chronologically since there's so much to digest and detail in every release. If you do this, you'll be up for a REALLY strange journey and get a bigger picture of what's happening.

Maybe you'll even start to enjoy the hippie AA releases more.. ;)

Oh and seedy.. put down the bottle man :P
from the source flows the endless...
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

FSOL really is like that iceberg the Titanic hit. Superficially it doesn't look like there's a massive amount of stuff they released then there's all the archive albums, the infinite universe of aliases, radio shows, podcasts. There's an absolute ton of stuff from the podroom that was taken down as well. I'm still trying to take it all in.

My favourite of the Podroom ones are the Rome, Kitchen, VPRO Netherlands and LA shows, though I do have a soft spot for the Art Futura show with the crazy pretend pre show technical disaster. That would have been such a headfuck at the time.

There's stuff still not released on many of the EBS releases, even the first digital mix still has unreleased tracks, as does the second. I think there's one podcast I don't have because someone said it was just the first half of the LA show.
I am the eye that looks within
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Yeah, EBS7 is phenomenal, the other 6 are brilliant too.
Chronologically is a good way to go with The Pod Room, partially as it means you get the Rome show early on, which is my favourite.

Tons of unreleased stuff on the EBS mixes.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

yeah i think chronological for these shows is ideal just because the themes (and songs) change and evolve over the years.
if you jump around you won't notice some of that cohesion as easily
tryptych wrote:
Oh and seedy.. put down the bottle man :P
ha! did i say something screwy?
i'm at work....no bottle here! :)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

dell1972 wrote: the crazy pretend pre show technical disaster.

eh?

what was this again?