Welcome to the Galaxial Pharmaceutical v7

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Welcome to the Galaxial Pharmaceutical v7

Post by Ross »

http://secondthought.co.uk/fsol/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Enjoy.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: Welcome to the Galaxial Pharmaceutical v7

Post by Pandemonium »

It was about time :)
nice one Ross ..
I'll take a better look and inform you of any errors (if there are any)
You're doin' too much, do less.
darktrain
Tingler

Post by darktrain »

nice site redesign ross very tidy...now all we need is some new products from brian and gary and we're sorted
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Great job man and I really don't want to dis anything on your obvious hard work in the update but just to say that the use of frames is very much a depreciated feature on a lot of browsers nowadays and may not be featured at all in future w3c compliant browsers. This mainly applies to your 'News' page that has both horizontal and vertical scroll bars to display the page which is kinda jarring given that such design doesn't feature on any of your other sections of the site.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

this is fantastic Ross, great job my friend.
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
Ross

Post by Ross »

mcbpete wrote:just to say that the use of frames is very much a depreciated feature on a lot of browsers nowadays and may not be featured at all in future w3c compliant browsers.
Wellllllllll they can fuck off. What's w3c? Also, if that's true, that's really, really terrible. Anyone who plougs ahead without thought for backwards compatibility is pretty fucking ignorant if you ask me.
Frames is a much simpler way to make a site when you're hand coding in notepad, and I'm not paying to upgrade my server so it supports SQL or anything, so they're staying for the moment.
This mainly applies to your 'News' page that has both horizontal and vertical scroll bars to display the page which is kinda jarring given that such design doesn't feature on any of your other sections of the site.
I spent hours trying to find a way to get blogger to left-align, but it refused - check the 'Images' link for how it looked otherwise. I don't mind that tucked away on the Images section (one of the less popular pages), but not for the news page which comes up when you load the page.
I'll take a shot at widening the frame a bit to get rid of the horizontal scroll bar, though. That doesn't appear on my computer at all, but it appears to at the library so thanks for the shout on that one!

And cheers for the other comments chaps. :)
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Ross wrote:Wellllllllll they can fuck off. What's w3c? Also, if that's true, that's really, really terrible. Anyone who plougs ahead without thought for backwards compatibility is pretty fucking ignorant if you ask me.
w3c is the World Wide Web Consortium - They're the people that define the language of the web and the ones that define what html tags do what a.k.a the big guns of the internet ! You've got a while before it's completely removed from user agents (i.e. browsers) but here's a list of tags that'll be depreciated when browsers switch to HTML v5 - http://www.w3.org/TR/html5-diff/#absent-elements" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ross

Post by Ross »

The following elements are not in HTML5 because their effect is purely presentational and their function is better handled by CSS:
font

Looks like I'm going to have to learn CSS then. This kind of thing makes me angry, tech geeks seem to think 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' is the worst commitable sin. People have been using font as standard html script since... probably since the start of html, and now it's deemed useless. Wonderful.

As for frames... I dunno, I've used them on almost every website I've ever made and not once had a single complaint about them, and have never had any real issues with other sites using them myself, so from that I have comfortably concluded that they work. When you've got a page like my FSOL site which has over 500 different html documents going into it, I can't risk using tables in case I want to change the layout at any point (and thus have to change the content of all 500+ pages), and as I don't have the internet at home, even if I did have the money to upgrade my server to support php or whatever, I wouldn't be able to actually view the site when making the site at home anyway. If these changes occur, it could spell the end of the site - or at least a very drastic cut down in its content.

ANGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Anyway. :)
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

As I say, don't worry it'll be a while before HTML v5 becomes the de-facto web standard. And when I say 'a while', it's estimated to be the standard around the year 2022 !
Ross

Post by Ross »

Oh, fair enough. We'll all be plugged into the internet at our spines by that point at this rate anyway.

I will try and take this into account when doing the next design, although God knows how!
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Slight comment about the following:
go in Releases -> Singles, EP's - here we have a list of links that covers the monitor, and we can scroll down.
- The links are lined to the EXTREME left too much, there isn't 1 pixel of space before them - it would be nice to have some space here, because this is a bugger when you use multiple monitors and mouse-coursor always goes in the other monitor area when you navigate it near the edges of the other.
- same goes for the bottom, the Archived EP can't be more down :) - leave a few empty rows there, because everytime I try to navigate there aero graphics from the Win7 taskbar kick-in and can't click the link.

- this goes for all the places where the letters/links are extremely glues the the edges of the screen, it just doesn't work...

- that is it for now, I'll moan whine more later :D
Ross

Post by Ross »

Ohhhhhhhhh God you want me to change all 500 pages?! :P

It doesn't bother me but I can see how it would be annoying. I'll try and update the frameset to throw in a couple of pixels on the left of the page.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

The Future Sound of London - From the Archives vol. 1-6

- I see genius informative descriptions on other singles/releases,
but here there is only the well known description,
- where are the track comparisons, what track came from what session (at least estimate)
- what track appeared earlier with different name... - that kinda stuff - I know we discussed these tracks a lot here in the forums...
Ross

Post by Ross »

Tricky, I don't want to overload the page with info on basically a hundred tracks. I have been considering something re: a history of the archive tracks which, if it happens, will be linked from the page.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I think it would be better to split the 6 volumes and have the infoz for each one separately..

- I have millions of ideas to improve the fluidity of your site Ross, as you know, I'm a bit of a web-designer/programmer/developer, as a part of a team - I could take a look at the code and make some navigating improvements, navigation on the site is near to nightmare.

1. If you go to a certain album you can't continue on other album, you have to go back or click 'releases' and 'album' all over again.
2. Singles section idea: why don't you make the singles detail-info appear on the right end of the list - that way the list of singles is still there, but you can navigate through them more easily.
3. the background could be made fix - and when you scroll you don't go to a second/third picture of the background, you just scroll text, and the background stays fixed. The crossover that you have now from total black to trees is pain for the eyes :)
4. multiple releases of the same single should be visually separated, nothing fancy, just use the minus '-' sign a few times :)

HUMANOID - STAKKER HUMANOID (1988)

12" (WSRT12)/CD (CDWSR12)/12" (OTB 1366-6)/CD (ZYX 6047-8)/12" (ZYX 6047-12)

01. Stakker Humanoid
02. Stakker Humanoid (Radio Edit)
03. Stakker Humanoid (The Omen Mix)

----------------------------------------------------------------

7" (WSR12)

01. Stakker Humanoid
02. Stakker Humanoid (Part 2)

HUMANOID - STAKKER HUMANOID '92 (1992)

7" (TOT27)/Cassette (MCSTOT27)

01. 7" Original
02. Smart Systems Remix

12" (12TOT27)

01. 12" Original
02. Smart Systems Remix
03. Snowman Mix
04. Gary Cobain '94 mix
05. Omen Mix
06. 303 Tribe
07. Outer Limits
08. Dub Drums

- you get the point..

5. artwork, I think you should have more and bigger (at least 500x500 clickable) pictures of the releases available - since they exist on Discogs anyway. More artwork gives more warmth to the site and it doesn't make it look like tons of text.
6. the live section has super descriptions but visually/navigationaly is not good...

--or you can just tell me to piss-off :) - no hard feelings, it's your baby anyway :)