Environment FIVE & EP; separate entities or one whole?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.

<t>In your digital libraries are you combining or separating Environment FIVE and it's companion EP?</t>

Environment FIVE and the EP filed as one
17%
Environment FIVE and EP filed as two distinct entities
75%
All FSOL is one homogeneous whole
8%

Total votes: 12

moxlox
Tingler

Environment FIVE & EP; separate entities or one whole?

Post by moxlox »

Ok so with the bonus download tracks on Environments 4 I put them on the end of the album in my digital music library.

For Environment FIVE (which I haven't heard yet) I have the urge to store the album and EP as two discrete entities. Will make my mind up when I hear the album, but I get the vibe from a few of you that they have different styles?

So how are you guys filing it? One or two entities in your digital music library?

#passingthetimewaitingforthevinyltoarrive
Repetition Is A Form Of Change
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: Environment FIVE & EP; separate entities or one whole?

Post by Ross »

I've got them as two separate things; partially because the album ends on such a strong track that seems such a definitive 'ending track' that it makes no sense to have tracks straight after it.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

On my mp3-player I have the ep put right after the album, though I think it´s quite a bit odd; the change in style&mood is really harsh...
But for CD-listening purposes I recently burned a CDR-ep with all the recent fsoldigital-bonus-stuff.
The tracklisting goes like:

01 Electric Brain Storm
02 Hydro Medusa
03 Abandoned Housing Blocks
04 The Final Inner Breath
05 HereAfter
06 Plough

Clocks in on 26 minutes and works quite well as some kind of ep. :)
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross

Post by Ross »

Sounds like a good idea - I'd probably add 'Lakeside' from the Touched compilation to that.
moxlox
Tingler

Post by moxlox »

I shall create that as a playlist Dennis. Nice idea.
Repetition Is A Form Of Change
Concept
Tingler

Post by Concept »

Ross wrote:Sounds like a good idea - I'd probably add 'Lakeside' from the Touched compilation to that.
Speaking of which, I was surprised that didn't appear in E5. Maybe it'll be in E6, if there is one.
Ross

Post by Ross »

I reckon it's an exclusive for the compilation.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

I think it was confirmed already there will be an E6 some day. I would like to know how chances stand for an archive 8. There's still pretty much material in stock at FSOL-headquarters, I'm sure. :)

Still have to get that touched-compilation thing - if it's available still... I think there is still some stuff lying around even on my harddisk that could fit an ep like that - thinking of "landmass" or "deep into your subconciousness I slide" - in the end it's turning out to be a "bonus track album" :)
Ross

Post by Ross »

Environments 6 confirmed by Brian a couple of months back... no word on the Archives, but I could come up with an Archive 8 tracklist without acknowledging anything that we've not heard... not to mention the fact there are post-2001 archived tracks on vol. 7, so it's potentially never-ending. Who knows though.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I don't think the bonus EP tracks are that different in style to the main album - at least from tracks like Machines of the Subconscious and Somatosensory, so I think the bonus tracks could have been weaved into the mix somewhere, if they'd wanted to do so.

But like Ross says, Moments of Isolation is a very strong closer, so putting anything after that wouldn't really work - plus you'd lose the seamlessness between each track ;)

I like the bonus EP just as it is, gives me a nice burst of FSOL when I only have 15 minutes to spare :)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Dennis wrote:On my mp3-player I have the ep put right after the album, though I think it´s quite a bit odd; the change in style&mood is really harsh...
But for CD-listening purposes I recently burned a CDR-ep with all the recent fsoldigital-bonus-stuff.
The tracklisting goes like:

01 Electric Brain Storm
02 Hydro Medusa
03 Abandoned Housing Blocks
04 The Final Inner Breath
05 HereAfter
06 Plough

Clocks in on 26 minutes and works quite well as some kind of ep. :)
Like I said, I've kept the E5 EP as its own entity. But here's a list I have of FSOL bonus tracks etc from 2007 onwards:
La 7
Mulleck Well
We Have Explosive (2011 Rebuild)
Hydro Medusa
Abandoned Housing Blocks of Prypiat
Plough
Lakeside

...Which also clocks in at around 26 minutes, coincidentally enough.
There are other tracks like Five Six Five and a couple that appeared in EBS8, but maybe they're better just left in those mixes.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Sorry, now I've been put in FSOL-Nerd mode, so here are the other "EPs" I've assembled of FSOL stuff:

ISDN+ (using the 3 tracks from the White version that aren't on the Black version)
Kai
Amoeba
Snake Hips
[15:35]

Subconscious Slide (original)
Bring Me Home
Deep Into Your Subconscious I Slide
Deseo Reconstruction
[14:50]

Subconscious Slide (v2)
Landmass
Skyscraper
Bring Me Home
Deep Into Your Subconscious I Slide
Deseo Reconstruction
[23:41]

Untitled - I suppose it should be called The Herd Killing EP?
We Have Explosive (Herd Killing)
Herd Killing
Live in New York
Carlos
Cow
We Have Explosive (untitled remix)
[35:58]

The reason for two versions of Subconscious Slide is that I didn't know of Landmass or Sky-scraper when I first compiled it. I'm not sure they work on there, but I don't have anywhere else for them to go really. Landmass maybe works, but I don't like Sky-scraper on there (and yes I know it's technically not "FSOL", nor is Cow).

I'm actually surprised Carlos hasn't found its way on to one of the Archive albums.

Feel free to let me know if there are any other tracks that I could use on those EPs. I've kept most FSOL remixes of other people's work separate, except for Deseo Reconstruction because that just sounds like pure FSOL anyway.

:ugeek:
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Right, I've been playing around with those playlists now. Definitely Sky-Scraper needs dropping from Subconscious Slide. I can't make my mind up about Landmass, maybe that kind of works, followed by Bring Me Home.

I've made cross fade joins between Prypiat > Lakeside > Plough. Can't decide whether to keep La 7 and Mulleck Well in that EP... if I do I'll edit them and make it so they fade in and out, probably re-order it like this:

Mulleck Well
La 7
Hydro Medusa
Lakeside
Plough
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

@epitome: haha yeah great, I think you now got them all...was thinking too about the ISDN leftovers like Live In NY or Cow, must have them lying around here too...
I think the styles vary just too much with tracks like landmass or bring me home for example, they would rather fit on some early 90ies-rave compilation I guess. :)

Cool idea with making the tracks crossfade - how do you make this - with audacity?
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I love Bring Me Home though and although it does have a dancier beat, it still has some of the textures of Lifeforms too.

I've actually made this EP now, with all tracks fading into each other (some work better than others)
Mulleck Well
La 7
Hydro Medusa
Lakeside
Plough

I actually used an online tool to do it.

I need a title for it now, any suggestions? And I'm going to make a cover - is there anywhere I can get the FSOL fonts (specifically from the Environments series, if they're different to others)? Cheers.