FSOL and Literature

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Dennis
Ill Flower

FSOL and Literature

Post by Dennis »

Don´t know if there was such topic already, but I recently read some novels and short stories by Phillip K. Dick (I just discovered this great author, I mean I knew his name before, but never actually read anything by him. I know i know, shame on me) whilst listening ISDN and Dead Cities. This is such a PERFECT fit as a soundtrack for these stories like nothing else. I mean some people find it difficult reading and listening music at the same time, me sometimes too, but this combination is so COMPATIBLE, it really strikes me. I wonder if Gaz n´Brian were inspired by Dick somehow.
Magnificient Insignificance
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: FSOL and Literature

Post by Pandemonium »

Having a soundtrack to a book and let your imagination do the Film is THE Best possible scenario, ever.
You're doin' too much, do less.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

I think that it's pretty safe to say that they're inspired by all the sci-fi classics.. :D
from the source flows the endless...
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

I always remember and read the ramblings odyssey while listen something from isness or dead cities

http://www.futuresoundoflondon.com/ramb ... tpage.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Total Recall
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Tito Lozano wrote:I always remember and read the ramblings odyssey while listen something from isness or dead cities

http://www.futuresoundoflondon.com/ramb ... tpage.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chapter Three - Upload on 19-10-01

Oooh I can't wait. Oh :shock:
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Ha bloody hell, I remember that.
I can't do anything when I'm listening to FSOL, I've tried reading but I always lose track of the words and end up just listening to the music.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

ha! same here - though not limited to FSOL or reading

i simply CANNOT listen to music and do something else that requires real thought.
music simply demands my attention. i even have problems doing the wild thing when music is playing!
the idea of "background music" just doesn't compute to me ;)
Ross

Post by Ross »

I can do it with some music - a lot of 'proper' ambient stuff works quite well. Anything with vocals or anything that demands a lot of attention to 'get' it (ie FSOL) is out of the question though.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

same here, the only type of music i can listen to while reading or studying is minimal/ambient on a very low volume level. Otherwise i cant concentrate on what im reading, especially when listening to music "that demands a lot of attention to 'get' it " like Ross says, especially FSOL. Also reading a magazine or an article differs from studying math for example, i tried studying math with music, i found it almost impossible to concentrate even with ambient.
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
beetles
Expander

Post by beetles »

" I've tried reading but I always lose track of the words and end up just listening to the music."

Same here - no way I can concentrate on reading if FSOL is playing but it definetely helps if Im trying to make something or do some photoshop / C4D sort of stuff.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

lol and the thing is....for the rare time i AM able to perform a mental task while listening to music...the truth is this is because i was able to fully block the music from my head. so really.....for me - what's the point of even wasting the electricity then? i'm like actively fighting to not hear a note lol
Pinyaka
Hardhead

Post by Pinyaka »

I have read the Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson while listening to Lifeforms several times. Good Times...
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

One thing I've always wondered:

Is the book "The Psychology Of Facelessness" (as mentioned in the Dead Cities booklet) by Philip Pinn completely fictional? I remember surfing night after night (in the 90's) and searching info about this book, but can't find anything..
from the source flows the endless...
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Thanx for mentioning that tryptych, im getting intrigued. But indeed, just been googling, nothing.
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
Ross

Post by Ross »

Probably exists/existed/partially existed/rumoured - and never finished or released. Like the 2008 re-release of The Isness.