First FSOL track you heard

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Quiller
Tingler

Re: First FSOL track you heard

Post by Quiller »

Probably seeing the video for Cascade from a compilation of music videos on VHS that one of my older sisters had. Might have been earlier. I do remember hearing PNG in that crap Who Framed Roger Rabbit rip-off Cool World from 1992, but I think my awareness of FSOL was in the background prior to about 1995 or so.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

i couldn't really tell you my start aside from knowing that Ozric lead me to fsol.
i think it was specifically from reading interviews with the bassist Zia (who as an aside makes decent trance music as ZubZub).
he mentioned fsol/AA on many occasions back in the day

this is often how i find new music - by taking some interest in the acts that have influenced the music i already listen to
billybatts
Tingler

Post by billybatts »

Any London/SE based fsollistas? we should meet up for debriefing and cocktails
Akkya
Expander

Post by Akkya »

I'm in Brighton
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Yeah I'm in London for the moment... moving somewhere affordable later this year though.
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

I discovered FSOL in '93 thru their remix of Curve, an EP set I bought for the Trent Reznor remix. A lot of my 90s techno favorites were discovered by accident thru remixes, or compilations I bought for other artists.
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

Nice thread, cool stories!

I am not sure anymore which was the first FSOL track I heard. Though it might have been Cascade, from the Lifeforms album, on a low quality Amazon.com sound clip. If I recall correctly I discovered FSOL because the guy from one of my favorite bands is a big fan so I just had to check them out. This was sometime in 2007 I think. Lifeforms was the first album that came up when doing a quick search and took a while to grow on me, but when I downloaded Dead Cities and heard the opening beats of Herd Killing I was sold immediately.
LooseLink
Expander

Post by LooseLink »

Wipeout 2097 soundtrack, without knowing who they really are, but really like the songs. Then I had one of those "holy shit they did this AND this?" when I heard the Isness in 2001. Dove right into their material, and became one of the only artists I'd only listen to for months for a period.
billybatts
Tingler

Post by billybatts »

Landmass is a classic. brilliant, self contained dance track with typical FSOL flourishes. Can anyone point to similar tracks they've done which i might have missed, perhaps off the archives?
Mr Royale
Tingler

Post by Mr Royale »

I love Landmass. It is fairly singular I guess, but Accelerator has similar bits and some stuff on Tales of Ephidrinia and some of their By Any Other Name tracks.

I bought Wipeout 2097 to rip the track from the disc as PS1 games often stored the audio as actual tracks.