The Amorphous Androgynous - Listening Beyond the Head Chakra

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Re: New AA album - Facebook updates

Post by Dennis »

Ross wrote:
Ross wrote:Quick update - 'We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal' "album-length single" will be out in Jan
Now due in April.
Slowly they really seem to enter "new Tool album"-territory with that next AA one... :D
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Gaz just likes to get ahead of himself. He always mentions things in interviews that end up coming out months / years after his initial dates. Brian's similarly 'flexible' with terms like 'soon' (ie 18 months). Until we actually get a 100% official release date, always assume that what the band say is optimistic. :D
Ross

Post by Ross »

We’ve been working up the 2nd path of
‘ We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal ‘ to be a veritable ‘ Synthony On A Theme Of Immortality ‘ with Dave Spiers on the keys & artwork concepts with Gavin Penn nicely gathering pace in a parallel universe of an accompanying art booklet .......

Inspired by 70s sci-fi art and one particular soundtrack by Frank Ellis ( Vangelis ! ( ‘ I was working as keyboard tech for Jon Anderson ( YES ) and one day I answered the phone for him and a voice on the other end of the line seemed to say in an exotic accent at odds with the name ‘ hi -it’s Frank Ellis ‘ ‘ I don’t know a fuvkin’ Frank Ellis ‘ said Jon dismissively when I conveyed the caller’s name to him gesturing to me to promptly hang up.
5 minutes later ( a rather ‘ sheepish ‘ )) Vangelis rang back “ ( from the conversation archives of Dave Spiers )

A 55 piece choir seals the deal next month after 8 months scoring and rehearsal ...! Phew ... almost there .... to the cosmos and back !

The Amorphous Androgynous with Peter Hammill album length single ‘ We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal ‘
Given that the choir isn't recorded yet, and that needs to be done before we get the multi-path Immortal single which will precede the main album, I don't think we'll get the full album until well into the second half of the year. Still on target for the Christmas 2016 deadline then :lol:

Synths on this are sounding bloody great, anyway.

edit: Gaz says on Instagram that "the album" is due "second half of this year". Whether this means the Immortal album-length single or the actual album, who knows! I'd guess probably the latter.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Some more Facebook chatter from last week:
this track has had its own time frames simply because of the choir and strings aspects . The choir has mostly been recorded now so it’s all in hand now at least .
The main song can now be mixed !!!! This synth path ‘ A Synthony On A Theme ‘ I’ll be looking at choir samples etc ... getting there ... but still work to do to set it up at press / manufacture etc will take 3 months so probs 5 months from now
So... September for the lead single. I don't think we'll be getting the full album until 2020 now.
main song is almost 13 mins then paths/ versions - flow between those will be pretty special methinks . Not sure of total duration yet but quite a few different angles on the track for ‘ the journey ‘ ..
eg been working with this extraordinary fella Varrod Goblink ( Regal Worm / Cobalt Chapel / I monster ) toward a church hymn version based on our mutual love of quintessential British 60s/70s horror !
Think Choir , strings and all his vintage organs used to great effect on a church arrangement of the tune .. proper creepy !
Rob
Tingler

Post by Rob »

Ross wrote:So... September for the lead single. I don't think we'll be getting the full album until 2020
Really hope that all this great work behind next AA album will get a large consent, as one masterpiece deserves.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Something's got lost in translation there. 'Consent'?
Rob
Tingler

Post by Rob »

Ross wrote:Something's got lost in translation there. 'Consent'?
Damn google translator :D large approval maybe?
Ross

Post by Ross »

Ahh. Acclaim, perhaps! Yes, I'd like to hope so. This is the first proper album since the Noel Gallagher and MPB era, and it'll be the first since Alice to get a proper promo campaign, so hopefully there'll be some eager reviewers out there.
Ross

Post by Ross »

This has just dropped off the front page, in time for Gaz to post footage of pictures from the cover being displayed at a gallery... somewhere. What I'd imagine is the final mix is also playing.
Ross

Post by Ross »

https://www.fsoldigital.com/product/the ... -calendar/
So, the 2020 Amorphous calendar comes with the first two tracks from the new album sessions. All the art is by Gavin Penn, who's also done the We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal art, so I'm assuming the album cover is either on there or will be from the same series. There's also text on the pages which I'd imagine will be lyrics.

Two tracks come with purchases. The first is 'Immortal Suite No. 1 HAARP' - the assumption would be this is from the We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal mini-album sessions. HAARP is the 'High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program', an ionospheric research program by the US military. Or it could be a reference to the live album by Muse, but my guess is the former. :lol:

The second is 'Yer Peyote Blues', aka 'A Song With a Title That Immediately Makes Ross Want to Hate It'.

I've not heard either yet, but I'm sure someone can fill us in. I'll be purchasing a calendar in a few weeks.

What's interesting is the description: "2020 will be the year the Amorphous Androgynous surface on topographic oceans to release new original material for the first time since 2005’s Alice In Ultraland."
Now we know that The Peppermint Tree was basically the AA version of the first couple of Environments: old material, some updated, pieced together to make a new album. It also confirms my theory that the Cartel records aren't considered 'proper' albums, but part of the Monstrous Bubble Soundtracks thing as a separate side-project. That said, it feels really bloody strange to think that when this comes out, it'll be fifteen years since they last recorded a straight-forward album as Amorphous. Take the same period of time backwards from Alice and you're looking at 1990: AST, Yunie and the first Mental Cube release.
Rob
Tingler

Post by Rob »

Both wonderful tracks with the AA 2020 Calendar... the HAARP one could be an outtake from the sessions for the longform single We Persuade... as a suite is an epic piece of music...i hear the mellotron also <3 . The Yer Peyote one is really "dirty" blues, Doors the first name popping in mind... very short track with some kind of bass distortion in the end to give an even more lo-fi flavour...
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

And everyone was buzzing about the 13 years it took Tool to release a new album, but Gaz'n Brian easily even top that :)

(Ok, not really, we got countless FSOL-releases, Peppermint Tree, Cartel, and whatnot. Am not complaining... :) )
Magnificient Insignificance
james
Hardhead

Post by james »

So, as a relatively new fan (as in, I've become a fan since they last put an album out :mrgreen: ) I'm really excited to get to hear some new stuff from them - I've listened to the in-progress Facebook videos so much that I'm surprised I didn't wear them out...

Do the 'bonus' tracks that come with the FSOL calendars usually end up being available to purchase separately? I assume they never end up on the streaming services or iTunes (what with them being BONUS tracks, I get it) but I'm just wondering if there'll be a way to buy them on their own?

I REALLY want the calendar anyway...but payday's a long way away and I'd love to hear the tracks!
Ross

Post by Ross »

Three tracks from the 2017 calendar album ended up on From the Archives 9, it's possible others may end up on future archives and alias releases. The albums themselves aren't available outside of FSOLDigital, although the FSOL ones can be purchased as music-only options.
The Amorphous tracks, however, seem to be just two songs as bonus with purchases of this calendar. Not to say they won't turn up at a later date, but my suspicion is that they will just be exclusive to these purchases.
james
Hardhead

Post by james »

That's what I figured - thanks Ross!