The Amorphous Androgynous - Listening Beyond the Head Chakra

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: New AA album - Facebook updates

Post by Ross »

Seems like Rob has got his AA calendar first, but I'm nicking this info from him.

Speculation based on the artwork...
Title: Listening Beyond the Head Chakra (possibly... Gaz did suggest that my guess of Machines, Mantras, & Songs of Cosmic Insignificance was close, so maybe not...)
Tracklist:
She Listens To The Sun
Mother Told Me (What She Told Me)
Mantra (Crossing Over)
We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal
The Hippie Trail
Listening Beyond The Head Chakra
The Machines Of Loving Grace
A Teardrop In The Fabric Of Reality
Money To Burn

Nine tracks listed, which would certainly line up with what we know already (loooong songs). She Listens to the Sun, Mantra, Immortal, Machines and Money to Burn we've already heard, the only ones missing from our list of known songs are Whatever I Do, Don't and I Don't Give a Damn About the Man... we'll see if they've been renamed.
Mother Told Me ties in with the 2014 announced but never released 'Mother' AA longform single, so that'll be interesting to hear.

The relatively concise nature of the tracklist really does suggest that this is going to be a (fairly) straight up songy album. I get the feeling certain elements of Amorphous have been syphoned off into FSOL. Certainly the last two tracks on Alice in Ultraland fed into the direction of the Environments, and there are plenty of recent FSOL tracks which would fit on those earlier AA albums (Heart Sick Chord, Murmurations, In Solitude We Are Least Alone, Anacro Rhythm, I Dream in Viral Blue, Algae Floats the Water in Super Technicolour). I reckon if they were made today, tracks like Elysian Feels, Her Tongue is Like a Jellyfish, The Emptiness of Nothingness, Another Fairy Tale Ending, The Wicker Doll and Riders on Circadian Rhythm would probably end up on a FSOL album rather than an Amorphous one. So I think this is largely going to be vocal prog songs, and if there are instrumentals they'll be much more down the blues / funk / psychedelic soul end of the project.
Rob
Tingler

Post by Rob »

Nothing confirmed (...although seems got a little acid sarcasm reaction from Gaz: " Give a man a walkie talkie and a calendar and he thinks he rules the world" - lol), mine is only a guessing since Listening Beyond The Head Chakra is featured on 2 different months of the calendar (wonderful artwork by Gavin Penn & Gaz & Amorphic Arts) and the blue female(?) face on the cover is suggesting that "beyond hearing" to me.
Ross

Post by Ross »

99% sure Gaz is Amorphic Arts 😉
Rob
Tingler

Post by Rob »

Ok, fb page of AA revealed the title of the album an hour ago....
So....my speculation was right :D
Rob
Tingler

Post by Rob »

The Amorphous Androgynous
1 hr ·
2020 vision

Since 2020 is the year of our re-emergence with new album ‘ Listening Beyond The Head Chakra ‘ ( our first since 2005’s ‘ Alice In Ultraland ‘ ) we’ve designed a calendar ( available NOW at fsoldigital.com ) as an oracular spectacular into the year ahead ! It comes with 2 previously unreleased tracks .

The calendar is a collection of some of the art ( a multidisciplinary mix of collage and traditional oil on canvas ) created in collaboration with artist Gavin Penn for our album length single ‘ We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal ‘ featuring Peter Hammill ( vocals ) & Paul Weller ( piano and guitar ) to be released at the beginning of 2020 plus the album
‘ Listening Beyond The Head Chakra ‘ to follow later in the year .

#PeterHammill #PaulWeller #theAmorphousAndrogynous #Prog #Psychedelic #SymphonicRock #RockOpera #MonstrousPsychedelicBubble
Ross

Re: The Amorphous Androgynous - Listening Beyond The Head Chakra

Post by Ross »

Not massively taken with the title, it has to be said. Needs to be longer and more ridiculous.

Really hoping we get Environment Seven next month, because otherwise it's going to have to slot in between at least two Amorphous albums next year, which just feels unlikely.
Rob
Tingler

Re: The Amorphous Androgynous - Listening Beyond The Head Chakra

Post by Rob »

Ross wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:44 pm Really hoping we get Environment Seven next month, because otherwise it's going to have to slot in between at least two Amorphous albums next year, which just feels unlikely.
You right Ross... add that there is also a full CD by them coming in the Touched Music 11xCD box this December....not sure that Env 7 will be out in the same period...but i hope for that!
Ross

Re: The Amorphous Androgynous - Listening Beyond the Head Chakra

Post by Ross »

Fuck, I forgot about that. Coupled with whatever next year's RSD release is (not to mention the 2020 Calendar Album and Ramblings Vol. 4)... it's going to be another busy twelve months!
Ross

Post by Ross »

So it turns out an alternative version of 'Mantra (Crossing Over)' was released as a Weller track a few years ago:
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Oh right. I remembered Gaz talking about this version at some point saying that he was bummed that they replaced their beats with a drum machine. I assume the Manta version is going to be quite epic.

Post by Ross »

Bit of natter between Gaz and Weller, and the bottom half of the Immortal cover, which states:

A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble (Exploding in Your Mind) presents:
We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal Remixes
featuring:
Stoned Freshwaters - Peter Hammill - The Amorphous Androgynous - Paul Weller - Atomic Simao - Cobalt Chapel - Regal Worm - Higher Peaks - Las Trompas De Falopium - Future Children
Steve Cobby's Sweet Jesus - The Flying White Dots - Richard E Further Out

Gaz also states:
March We Persuade Ourselves album length single
April - Monstrous Psych Bubble version featuring a plethora of collabs/ remixes
Looks like we're getting the standard paths record then a remix record a few weeks later.

And given how extensive this will be, the album probably won't be following until well into summer by the looks of it.

Those collaborators:
Stoned Freshwaters - an amusing update of what is believed to be Brian's engineering name when it comes to Amorphous projects.
Peter Hammill - Van der Graaf Generator member featuring on the original track.
The Amorphous Androgynous - no idea who this bunch of reprobates are.
Paul Weller - plays piano on the track and maybe more.
Atomic Simao (Ukrainian band inspired '60s psych rock and '90s electronic music)
Cobalt Chapel (British acid folk / '70s horror inspired duo featuring Jarrod Gosling from I Monster)
Regal Worm (Psych/prog project of the same Jarrod Gosling)
Higher Peaks (British indie/psych group featuring a member of Weller's live band)
Las Trompas De Falopium (Mexican psych-rock group. Name means 'fallopian tubes')
Future Children (American analogue electronics group)
Steve Cobby's Sweet Jesus (Mellow exotica project from the Fila Brazillia founder)
Flying White Dots (Mashup artist)
Richard E Further Out (American DJ & producer)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Looking forward to these :)
Ross

Post by Ross »

The Monstrous Bubble release will be out for Record Store Day as an LP, with a digital and possibly CD (nothing confirmed here - the Isness Abbey Road mix never got a CD release later, so this might follow in the same vein) version almost certainly to follow on FSOLDigital.
It's changed covers! Or this might just be an alternative cover:
Ross

Post by Ross »

mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Can totally imagine that loop being on the old FSOL site (the one with lots of Flash stuff), looping and looping and looping