Environments 6

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
ronniedobbs
Expander

Re: Environments 6

Post by ronniedobbs »

Do we know if the vinyls will come in any kind of slipcase or gatefold? I'd be curious to see pictures once they ship.
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

No, the double pack vinyl will just be the two records.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

dell1972 wrote:Me too, the postman's still got his grubby hands on it.
If we notice a lot of happy looking postmen walking around at the moment we'll know why (and not the usual reason).
Blinker
Hardhead

Post by Blinker »

Got mine in the post not long ago. Will be listening shortly, very excited. :)
Faroutman
Hardhead

Post by Faroutman »

Hello all hope you are enjoying your new sounds! I bought the vinyls.But would like to ask if anyone had a problem with MP3 downloads.
6.5 was fine. 6 downloaded ok up until track 12. Don't know if others had the same problem.
Thanks...
Ross

Post by Ross »

Full thing downloaded ok for me. Drop an email to info@fsoldigital.com and someone should be able to help you.

My CDs arrived today. From the liner notes of 6:
track 9 [Wild Weather] is part of "Field Recording Notations" in this case a metal gate was moved back and forth at different speeds creating different tones and rhythms - this was then transcribed to a musical "script" for piano with string and brass accompaniment - in parts the metal gate has been left in the recording.

Which is intriguing. Apparently Field Recording Notations will be a full album coming along at some point...
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I hope my CDs arrived today, really want to hear it soon!
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Yep, they've arrived here. Looking forward to listening to it tomorrow. I see there's a "FSOL uses EMS Instruments" message and "This album features SKYFLOW PROJECT Synthesis Design (FSOL : DIGITANA)"
I am the eye that looks within
Ross

Post by Ross »

Symphony for Halia was created entirely using the Digitana, apparently. Which shows how versatile it's going to be.
gabo86
Hardhead

Post by gabo86 »

Ross wrote:With music software that puts numbers before letters alphabetically (i.e. pretty much all of it), this is above Six in the listing. You have no idea how irritating I find that...
That's the same problem with Enviroment/s II/3/4/Five: currently the alphabetical order is 5-3-4-1-2, and when I'll add six and 6.5 (I'm currently waiting for them) the order should be 5-3-4-6.5-1-2-6, that it's quite a mess.
Anyway, very interesting insights into the two albums, can't wait!
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

My CDs showed up yesterday too. I didn't have time to listen last night, but I did celebrate by listening to the E5 bonus EP and the A8 bonus EP :)

Got up nice and early this morning and just listened to Six as the sun came up (well, kind of). Absolutely stunning stuff. There were a few tracks that didn't seem to fit all that well (Seq/-9, Wild Weather, Electric Pastrol -- I may actually have got those wrong, listening on CD I'm not 100% sure which track I was on). I'm hoping they will make more sense after repeated listens because for the most part this is the best of the Environment(s) series so far. Looking forward to listening to 6.5 but that might have to wait till the weekend.
Ross

Post by Ross »

gabo86 wrote:
Ross wrote:With music software that puts numbers before letters alphabetically (i.e. pretty much all of it), this is above Six in the listing. You have no idea how irritating I find that...
That's the same problem with Enviroment/s II/3/4/Five: currently the alphabetical order is 5-3-4-1-2, and when I'll add six and 6.5 (I'm currently waiting for them) the order should be 5-3-4-6.5-1-2-6, that it's quite a mess.
Anyway, very interesting insights into the two albums, can't wait!
Oh I tag all my stuff with the date in the title so it's all chronological anyway - (2016-10-07) Environment Six for example.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Wouldn't ...6.5 still be listed before ...Six though on account of it coming out on the same day?

I've only got part way through Six so far, but it's sounding very good. Wild weather is quite different to everything around it. I'm thinking it sounds so far more like the bulk of Archived 8 than Environment Five.
I am the eye that looks within
Ross

Post by Ross »

dell1972 wrote:Wouldn't ...6.5 still be listed before ...Six though on account of it coming out on the same day?
Yes, hence my original annoyance! On my iPod I've listed it as Environment 6 to keep it all in order.

This will be getting a fully distributed release on 28th October. Amazon have it down as Environment Volume Six and Environment 6.5, just to add variety.
Blinker
Hardhead

Post by Blinker »

Both of these albums are really very good indeed. I think I prefer 6.5 overall but much more listening to be done, which in the end is not a chore. :)