What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Ross »

Pandemonium wrote: - absolutely nothing memorable on that - well, I have to say, the really good electronic music rarely has memorable stuff in it - that's kinda the whole fucking point. And yet it's good, legendary, memorable just because it isn't rotten popping melodies that stuck in your brain weather you like them or not.
Memorable as in you remember the music after it's ended, as opposed to generic, boring, nothing worth remembering. Most FSOL stuff is very memorable to me. As soon as I'd heard Environment Five it stuck with me, the interesting arrangements of sound, the mood and atmosphere, the rhythmic and melodic parts. There's lots of other electronic music that I've heard several times and I genuinely couldn't tell you anything about it at all (and sometimes wouldn't even recognise it if I were listening to it again).

I know the point wasn't directed at me but thought I'd reply - a language barrier thing I would imagine, a subtle difference in the definition of 'memorable'.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Hmm, no, I don't think it's the language thing...

I do not agree with statements like "if you do not remember the music after the concert or after the home-alone listening -- it was shit, not worth remembering" -- although I was thinking like this about 10 years ago.

This concerns other forms like free jazz or some jazz structure like indian music -- I enjoy the shit out of indian beat patterns that are 270 beats long - of course I don't remember them all (I barely remember a few chunks) but the process is what its worth - while I listen to it.

Same goes for drone ambient - I'm really picky with this one, I enjoy very very few drone artists (because most of them are generic and boring and don't have essence and art in them), also remember very very few things about the albums ( I try to remember the names of the albums, and even that can be challenging with people like Vidna Obmana ) but I enjoy the thought and the art of the creation while I listen and that IS the beauty right there - they're not not memorable - they're hard to remember - which is fine - I'll enjoy it like a virgin again next year.

Most of you know I have an obsession with breaks and old-skool funk - which is, like, as far as it gets from drone - but generally, it's all fine as long as you KNOW what you're listening, know the process. ... as I said, it's much better explained in the documentary mentioned before.

And I've mentioned this before, I have a few friends that are very well versed in music - but most of them don't bother with new stuff and expanding, which is fine, they KNOW they like the lighter stuff. After all, it's a whole industry trying to fuck with our psyche and plant melodies in it. I can respect a man who knows that Robbie Williams has Zero original art in his music but likes his catchy songs and dances to them (and scores girls) - I can not respect a man who thinks Robbie is the greatest singer/author who ever lived and loves his songs. Maybe Robbie is not a good example... but you get the point...
You're doin' too much, do less.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Yeah, I'm not just a big fan of minimalistic electro stuff like a lot of the new-ish MBM seems to be. I loved the use of real instruments, vocals and catchy hooks on the previous albums.. But yeah, a lot of the new singles/ep's seem pretty underground and pretty experimental. I'd still love to see him releasing something in the vain of SS and go back to more industrial style, that would be awesome.
Skam 2.2. DOES sound a bit like the second disc of Subliminal 'tho which was pretty much completely elektro stuff. "Anwswers Come In Dreams" was very disappointing IMO (I anticipated that album like crazy).

The exclusive track on "The Secret Broadcast Redux" soundtrack (it's a comic that I've yet to obtain) is pretty kick ass, I always get that same, old weird paranoid vibe out his synth sounds, love it :D
from the source flows the endless...
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

I discovered MBM around a time ca. 12 years ago when I moved to Berlin first, I remember I bought "Subliminal..." just by seeing the cover with this brain with cables in a now long time defunct record shop (it was called "World Of Music", it was so great, they had EVERYTHING there, even Japan Imports and other hard-to-get-stuff - ah those days...) near zoo station, and then it (and later Actual Sounds and RUOK) became my soundtrack bicycling around in hot summer days in strange urban districts with weird grafitties and people...

The albums after RUOK didn´t strike me much as well (ok, I actually liked that Jazz-album a bit), there were some horrible dubstep-influences on there and MC´s rapping, quite awful.
Magnificient Insignificance
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Oh and np:

Tame Impala - Currents

Guitars exchanged for synths and now this whole thing has a heavy 'chillwave'-vibe not unlike stuff like Washed Out or Neon Indian. The thing is, I like this very much, perfect soundtrack for lazy afternoons.
Magnificient Insignificance
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Been listening to more Touched Two Remixes. Some amazing stuff - although, as I've only listened to most tracks on Touched Two once (and quite a long time ago), I don't know if these differ much from those versions. Gotta say, the Yage remix was really cool, one of the (many) stand-outs (although, again, I don't know how different it was from the original).
Mr Royale
Tingler

Post by Mr Royale »

The Shamen - Arbor Bona Arbor Mala. a really good ambient album.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

nice, bookmarked!

there are a bunch of full albums in that link

i've really only heard remixes of The Shamen music thus far so this will be all new for me
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

The Chemical Brothers - Born in The Echoes

- confusing album... hated their 2004-2009 commercial period, loved almost everything else... they made a comeback to the good sound (in my mind) with FURTHER, but now... I just don't know...

Born in The Echoes has very very beautiful heavy sound most of the time, and has some bullshit things here and there... Gonna need more time with this one... but is it worth it??
You're doin' too much, do less.
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

Dusseldorf By Night (DBN) - Images For Tape

Music using old tapes & a sampler machine
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Ozric Tentacles - Curious Corn

Moving on from my detour out of time (Technicians of the Sacred) and back to the 90s now to continue working through their discography in order ;)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

curious corn was so f'n great

i remember the day it came out and listening to that bish on repeat for months on end :D
Mr Royale
Tingler

Post by Mr Royale »

seedy wrote:nice, bookmarked!

there are a bunch of full albums in that link

I've really only heard remixes of The Shamen music thus far so this will be all new for me
The Shamen are an odd act. They started as an indie/psychedelic band and slowly became more electronic and then had some chart success with Move any Mountain and sort of scuppered themselves with the terrible Ebeneezer Goode. When Will Sin died and Mr C arrived, it really did change the group (for the worse in my view), even if it meant they actually became really successful because of him.

I would recommend listening to En-Tact and this play list appears to cover the better version of the album (it has two releases in different orders)

There are a couple of tracks I now don't really care for, Move any Mountain and Make it Mine being the two that stand out. The Shamen took remixing to a stupid level, so some versions of one track can be great, but others less so. There is a Make it Mine version which is called Make it Minimal and I still really like that one (see mix below).

They have some hidden gems in their catalogue though such as these:

In The Bag - The original is better though and can be found on this mix:

Possible Worlds (lots of mixes of it):
an ambient one.
an acid one.

LSD:
great slow-building stomper.

E.Goode
Not an amazing track, but the acid line is great. No vocal to ruin it as such.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

seedy wrote:curious corn was so f'n great

i remember the day it came out and listening to that bish on repeat for months on end :D
Yeah, I'm loving it!

As for The Shamen, I don't know much of their stuff. I don't like Move Any Mountain, but I love Ebeneezer Goode - what a great song.
Mr Royale
Tingler

Post by Mr Royale »

epitome wrote:
seedy wrote:
As for The Shamen, I don't know much of their stuff. I don't like Move Any Mountain, but I love Ebeneezer Goode - what a great song.
Too each their own. Move any Mountain was the track that got me into them, but I got tired of it over time. I own this 3 x LP of the remixes, as well as the original Pro-gen 12" (and remix) and the promo for the 91 release (and the CD of the mixes too...)

http://www.discogs.com/Shamen-Progeny/release/79871

En-Tact is the album that really got me into electronic music.