What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
RazorJack
Open Loop

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by RazorJack »

Hunee - Crossroads
Hunch Music (2015)

Heard this on the radio yesterday. Pretty good, sounds like they've been heavily influenced by FSOL's Accelerator, this reminds me a lot of Pulse State.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Apocryphos, Kammarheit, Atrium Carceri - Onyx

Fuckin' awesome. Top notch dark ambient, 9/10.

I also listened the whole Cure discography chronologically (not all the singles 'tho) and started to listen to Funkadelics catalogue yesterday.. the first two albums are hella chaotic and druggy.

Now I'm listening to Touched Two where I left off (track 200+ something), so far I've favorited like 6-7 tracks.. kind of reminds why I many times enjoy acoustic/real instruments over electronics. Some good stuff on this nontheless.

What's It Going To Take? (Hope For Gaza) by Sense is probably the best so far IMO, incredibly touching piece.

Oh yeah, there's something wrong with my left ear but it's healing.. I'm waiting at least until tomorrow to listen to the new Archives album.
from the source flows the endless...
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

tryptych wrote:Oh yeah, there's something wrong with my left ear but it's healing..
I hope it's nothing serious - infected ear-canal can heal, damaged hearing tubes can not...
You're doin' too much, do less.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

I think it has something to with pressure. It also think there's a small hole hole in my eardrum which should heal in a 1-2 weeks. It's getting better all the time 'tho :D
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

OK, ear healed almost completely now. I don't know where I had smashed that.. pretty odd. Will probably listen to Archives 8 this evening with a proper setting (not THAT proper 'tho ;)

Right now, listening to Memoryhouse "The Years EP", some crazy good tracks on this. "Lately" was actually shortly featured on some of the MPB mixes (the one with the Bill Hicks clips).
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

New album out next week. Sounds good so far, very "Secret Migration"-like:

Magnificient Insignificance
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

holy heck haven't seen that name in a long time!
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Yeah, they have gone into 7 year hiatus and experienced various "personal tragedies & calamities" which delayed work on new album. "The Light In You" turns out to be pretty strong, more song based, less based on textures & sounds like on "Snowflake Midnight".

np: Oneohtrix Point Never - Garden Of Delete

Lord forgive me, I couldn´t resist. I´ll buy the album when it comes out I swear. But I was a bit hyped about this I must admit.
It took me a while back then to get into R+7, but then it 'clicked' and I got "Returnal" & "Replica" too - great stuff.

But this here turns out to be the definitve highlight of his career. Very hard to describe. I could imagine this is easy to get a bashing for there is a track like "Sticky Drama", something one could describe as a kind of "electro-blackmetal with brostep-synth-sounds and high-pitched chipmunk-vocals", a complete no-go normally for me, but it really works! Some great sensibility for rather 80ies-sounding synthie-pop amongst all the madness, tracks like "Child Of Rage" or " Lift" are just pure bliss.

I recognize this as a kind of a fun-record somehow, like SP´s "Ufabulum", childish in a good way, makes me somehow wanna watch Superhero-Movies or play ego-shooter-games :)
Magnificient Insignificance
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

The Cartel (Vol 1 & 2)

One of my favourite FSOL-related releases since Dead Cities. Right up there with E2, E5 and the Sand Sound Folly EP. I still need to listen to the RSD vinyl version and the remix album.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Today I'm listening to Tangerine Dream live at the Royal Albert Hall in 1975 off the bootleg box. Never get tired of this and probably my favourite live recording of their's. Perfect sound as it was an FM broadcast and although it has Michael Hoenig standing in for an AWOL Peter Baumann it basially sounds like an extended live version of Rubycon, which can never be a bad thing. The first song alone is nearly 70 minutes long and took an age to get going properly due to a variety of electronic malfunctions. I'm sure I read somewhere that it was insanely humid in there that evening and there were a variety of plants in pots placed all over the stage to add to the atmophere. They were even introduced to the stage by John Peel.

After that I may listen to Phish's Siket Disc for about the hundredth time, or possibly some of Pete's cubus stuff I came across on my hard drive the other day...
I am the eye that looks within
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

dell1972 wrote: listen to Phish's Siket Disc for about the hundredth time

well done sir!

i believe i gave you back whenever a list of other similar stuff of theirs right?
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Yep, you did. I do like Siket Disc, it's probably closest to electronic music in a way, wonderfully woozy. You find yourself with the phrase "quadrophonic toppling" repeating subsonsciously in your head hours later.

I've also given Slip Stitch and Pass a go, great Doors bit in the middle there, with the hilarious transition into Lawn Boy. Another one I've given a go is the MSG New Year's 95 album, the Lemonwheel ambient thing and a bootleg called Ambiance 98. It's all impressive stuff.
I am the eye that looks within
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

haha man, i must say......

the New years 95 and lemonwheel gigs i was both at and man oh man
those were some trippy nights :twisted:
the memories there....wow!

i'll have to backtrack to that post i made listing some stuff but out of what you're listing here you'll surely want to add the tower jam (another one of those nights haha):

geez....just pulling up that link and listening for a second i get goosebumps :D
this was a "secret" set that many people slept through as it started about 2 hours after the third and "last" set of the evening
here's some video to see what it looked like (make sure you check around 45 min to get the full sense)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

The Cure - Join The Dots (and other b-sides and rarities)

Seems a good way to spend a day off work...
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

earth to infinity/deep space network

i'm sure pande is all up on the move d and related ;)

also checked out michael sterns - ancient leaves the other day and that was good stuff

also guys -
i mentioned these awhile back in another thread but after hearing most of their catalogs i would def recommend:
-robert rich - just all around great ambient sometimes tribal
-steve roach - again great ambient though some albums are too droney/not enough happening for me. lots of great tribal albums as well
-byron metcalf - tribal drums plenty of albums with these two guys above