What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Ross »

One day. Maybe.

Currently listening through some work in progress stuff for an album I'm starting to work on. It's very dark for the first time in ages.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

@seedy: I was listening Hassel / Eno collaboration a few days ago :)

don't remember the name... it was sampled in one of the Kiss shows by FSOL.
You're doin' too much, do less.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Ross wrote:Never really got to grips with Dustsucker myself. They're so different as albums though.

Now playing Egdon Heath by Gustav Holst. Some of his lesser known works are unfairly overshadowed by The Planets Suite. This is one. A beautiful evocative piece.
I'm not Dustsucker's biggest fan either, to be honest. I quite like it, but I own several hundred better albums. I should get round to buying Hex one day.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

nice pande....i havent heard that one yet myself
just interesting and unique sounds and atmosphere i've heard from these albums thus far.
he def has all the right connections too w/ eno, lanois, sylvian, la monte young

i believe a fsol mix caused me to learn his name in the first place :)

23 skidoo......i'm sure you peeps know this one. i've obvs known the name for quite long but right now i'm listening to urban gamelan for the first time

20 min in and this is great so far :)
Ross

Post by Ross »

Listening to this:
Completely insane experimental piece made entirely from the artist's voice.
Ross

Post by Ross »

epitome wrote:
Ross wrote:Never really got to grips with Dustsucker myself. They're so different as albums though.

Now playing Egdon Heath by Gustav Holst. Some of his lesser known works are unfairly overshadowed by The Planets Suite. This is one. A beautiful evocative piece.
I'm not Dustsucker's biggest fan either, to be honest. I quite like it, but I own several hundred better albums. I should get round to buying Hex one day.
I actually just gave Codename: Dustsucker another listen and I'm still firmly of the belief that Hex is a billion times better. Although the last two tracks on Dustsucker are pretty good, the rest of it seems to put the rhythmic plod of the music over the songs and atmospheres. Every track on Hex is really beautifully written and wonderfully arranged, whereas most of the second album seems quite cluttered and undeveloped. It's a shame.

The 'Independency' compilation is worth a listen too.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Thanks, I'll check both those out :)
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

I have pretty much everything they've done..

Hex is what i got me into them.. Dustsucker is more of a pop album compared to Hex, which is pretty drone-y. Burning The City and Black Meat are the best tracks off it IMO. The 400 Winters EP is also great.

Too bad there's so little.. pretty much all the proper, studio stuff they've done is pretty good, but I mostly listen to few tracks from here and there.
from the source flows the endless...
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Recently discovered, it strikes me that I havent heard of her before as she must be a polpular singer, Im quite pissed at myself for that. Amazing ...

I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
The Haze
Hardhead

Post by The Haze »

Has anyone here listened to this? What do you think?

I've wanted this for ages, but never got round to buying it. It's now nearly 50 quid for even a used copy, i wish i'd bought it when it was 20 something quid. :/
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

well you could always download it

should i feel bad for saying that?

it's 2013 eh?
The Haze
Hardhead

Post by The Haze »

I see where you're coming from, but i don't really agree with downloading for free. I feel like it's ripping off the artist. I mean if it's a single track and you can't get it anywhere else then i would but not a whole compilation.

Besides, some of the musicians featured on there are dead, and i'd feel like i was stealing out of a dead man's pocket. But that's just me, i'm not going to look down my nose at others who decide to download stuff. Especially when something is as expensive as that is.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

seedy wrote:should i feel bad for saying that?
No...
Everyone should use the 'try it before you buy it' system :)

I did download that, wonderful tracks, great names :)
The Haze wrote:Besides, some of the musicians featured on there are dead, and i'd feel like i was stealing out of a dead man's pocket.
It is impossible to steal from the dead :) ok, technically it is possible, but they don't care...
99% of the time, the money from these kinds of compilations go to the companies, not to the dead people's families.
You're doin' too much, do less.
The Haze
Hardhead

Post by The Haze »

Pandemonium wrote:
It is impossible to steal from the dead :) ok, technically it is possible, but they don't care...
99% of the time, the money from these kinds of compilations go to the companies, not to the dead people's families.
Good point. So i guess it's actually the companies that are stealing from the dead lol :lol:
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

The Haze wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:
Good point. So i guess it's actually the companies that are stealing from the dead lol :lol:

Companies & Right Societies get the 99% of profit and then send flowers to dead families Artists, and as say Pande, lot of people have first idea to download,listen and then, if enjoy buy Vinyl or cd..., i remember old time when cassettes and radio were the only 1 form to find and burn a expensive record on 80´s or 90´s,always there was poor music lovers,young people with like listening to music but without money....in the nineties all radio stations provided us the sound and record cassettes & Walkmans provied the songs ,today is the net & Hard disk or mobile....such is life.
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human