What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by tryptych »

3TEETH - 3TEETH [2014] (industrial, metal)
V/A - Best Of Dream Catalogue [2016] (vaporwave, ambient)
Massive Attack - Ritual Spirit [2016]
OKADA - Impermanence [2015] (idm, ambient, little bit dubstep maybe)
Memoryhouse - Soft Hate [2016] (glo-fi, chillwave, shoegaze)

Love them all, Massive Attack being the least interesting of the group :D
from the source flows the endless...
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Espectrostatic - Escape from Witchtropolis

Found this at the local record store in the dance/electronic shelf. Never heard of this before, only saw the cover and got very curious what kind of "dance music" that could be. There's quite a lot of artists/bands I got into only because the album cover caught my interest.
This is truly some interesting stuff, satanic vintage horror postrock electro, or sth like that. Not unlike the hauntology stuff from Ghost Box or Moon Wiring Club but with a stronger "rock music" vibe. Perfect soundtrack for your next satanic mass, harhar...
Magnificient Insignificance
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

tryptych wrote:3TEETH - 3TEETH [2014] (industrial, metal)
That has to be one of the best industrial albums in quite some time :)
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Tim Hecker - Haunt Me, Haunt Me Do It Again
Fennesz - Black Sea
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

epitome wrote:
tryptych wrote:3TEETH - 3TEETH [2014] (industrial, metal)
That has to be one of the best industrial albums in quite some time :)
It's pretty good but I find it to be pretty entry level stuff and they're not certainly reinventing the wheel here. Pretty solid release nontheless.
Dennis wrote:Espectrostatic - Escape from Witchtropolis
Wow, seems interesting. It's categorized as darkwave @discogs and rated pretty good. Will defo check this out.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Oneohtrix Point Never - Rifts
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

anyone ever hear of demdike stare?

badass stuff i can really describe it....like industrial ambient?
definitely dark and often eerie stuff

check this one

nice 8-)
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

So I quickly listened to the new Venetian Snares..

TBH, I'm not a huge fan of this retro analog synth fad.. I guess if you're into the synth sound in general you're probably going to love this but I feel like there's only so much you can do with just modular synths without any "real" instruments and possibly samples etc.

I completely understand why people prefer the "soft" and juicy sound of the analog synths but, to me, it's foremost about the song itself, I don't frankly give a fuck where the sound is coming from. I just find this mostly boring and one-dimensional.

He's done some pretty good stuff in the past tho. It just could be that, honestly, I like the sound of "real" instruments better than synthesis. Or possibly the combination of both.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Recently I got through the Steven Wilson solo stuff from "Insurgentes" to "The Raven..." and I must say this is pretty awesome stuff. Really don´t know why I missed out this, perhaps because the last Porcupine Tree stuff didn´t grab me the way it did back 13 years ago, I somehow lost contact with his music.

I remember quite a few critics saying things like his solo stuff is "prog by numbers", a sound to satisfy the listener who wants to drown in a comforting bed of delicate 70ies retro prog. I mean yeah, there are several nods to the usual suspects like King Crimson, early Genesis or even some Yes here and there, but he really manages to mix this with his own often quite melancholic or even pretty dark sounding PT-songwriting style that has obviously strongly matured over the years. A song like "The holy drinker" is just awesome. Still have to listen to "Hand cannot erase".

np: Cluster: Zuckerzeit & sowiesoso
Harmonia: first & deluxe

just lovely. And full of "soft and juicy" analog synths - hmmm... :)
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Dennis wrote:Recently I got through the Steven Wilson solo stuff from "Insurgentes" to "The Raven..." and I must say this is pretty awesome stuff. Really don´t know why I missed out this, perhaps because the last Porcupine Tree stuff didn´t grab me the way it did back 13 years ago, I somehow lost contact with his music.

I remember quite a few critics saying things like his solo stuff is "prog by numbers", a sound to satisfy the listener who wants to drown in a comforting bed of delicate 70ies retro prog. I mean yeah, there are several nods to the usual suspects like King Crimson, early Genesis or even some Yes here and there, but he really manages to mix this with his own often quite melancholic or even pretty dark sounding PT-songwriting style that has obviously strongly matured over the years. A song like "The holy drinker" is just awesome. Still have to listen to "Hand cannot erase".

np: Cluster: Zuckerzeit & sowiesoso
Harmonia: first & deluxe

just lovely. And full of "soft and juicy" analog synths - hmmm... :)
I'm a big PT fan.. before 2000 that is. Then they went all metal and things started to go a bit downhill (IMO of course). "Stupid Dream" is one of my favorite albums to this day. I've never gotten into his solo singer/songwriter stuff but his ambient/drone stuff is pretty decent
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Yeah, Stupid Dream is great. This one was also my introduction to PT. In Absentia was the last album I really liked, then lost interest for quite a few years. In retrospective the later PT albums are not that bad at all, there are some pretty decent songs on Deadwing or Fear of a blank planet. But yeah, he ruins it a bit with some dull metal riffing. Still have to get into his other projects like no-man or blackfield.

np: Animal Collective - Painting With

Was a bit hard to get into, the great melodies from earlier albums seemed to be missing a bit, but it heavily grew with further listens. Just makes a lot of fun :)
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

James - Laid
Beautiful record with gorgeous production from Eno.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Dennis wrote:Yeah, Stupid Dream is great. This one was also my introduction to PT. In Absentia was the last album I really liked, then lost interest for quite a few years. In retrospective the later PT albums are not that bad at all, there are some pretty decent songs on Deadwing or Fear of a blank planet. But yeah, he ruins it a bit with some dull metal riffing. Still have to get into his other projects like no-man or blackfield.

Was a bit hard to get into, the great melodies from earlier albums seemed to be missing a bit, but it heavily grew with further listens. Just makes a lot of fun :)
Yeah, there's some good stuff on those but it doesn't really come close to the pre-millennial stuff, does it? :D

"Trains" is is the obvious one from IA, gotta love this :)

epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

tryptych wrote:
Dennis wrote:Yeah, Stupid Dream is great. This one was also my introduction to PT. In Absentia was the last album I really liked, then lost interest for quite a few years. In retrospective the later PT albums are not that bad at all, there are some pretty decent songs on Deadwing or Fear of a blank planet. But yeah, he ruins it a bit with some dull metal riffing. Still have to get into his other projects like no-man or blackfield.

Yeah, there's some good stuff on those but it doesn't really come close to the pre-millennial stuff, does it? :D

"Trains" is is the obvious one from IA, gotta love this :)

My favourite PT albums are Fear of a Blank Planet, Lightbulb Sun and The Sky Moves Sideways. But then I like metal as well as prog and alternative rock. I like the variety in the PT back catalogue :)
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

FSOL - Pulse State

Amazing as always. Can't remember how many times I've had this tune on repeat while doing mindless work, at home or at the office, never fails to keep me going :-) And of course it sounds a million times better when given full attention.