Boards of Canada

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Dennis
Ill Flower

Re: new boards of canada lp

Post by Dennis »

OMG, that ebay shit is really fucking ridiculuos. So I definitely agree, they ARE in fact overhyped to the max. But beside that they make some really good tunes..(at least to my ears ;) )
Magnificient Insignificance
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

For me Dayvian Cowboy is a great mindblowing song
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Awesome. This album´s gonna be a burner.
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Wow, yeah, that is a one lovely piece of electronic music.
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Trying to avoid all previews until the vinyl lands on my lap. The only thing I've heard so far (as I suspect the music used isn't actually going to appear on the album) is this -

Reminded me of the incidental music from Terminator 2

Huge fan of the brothers' music (TCH was a little bit of a let-down, though only because of how much I loved their other darker stuff) and even did a remix for them that never got released -

http://ilovecubus.co.uk/mp3/747.mp3

Here's the original -
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Quite liking that new track actually, seems to have a bit more drama and dynamic in it than their usual stuff.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

I'm of the few who really enjoyed TCH, find it almost equal to Geogaddi, I get caught in that sunny, holiday-like atmosphere every listen. The production on it is so cinematic and lush with lots of details hiding in the corners.

I myself had no problem if the new one goes in that direction with a bit of geogaddi-darkness thrown in here and there.
Mr Royale
Tingler

Post by Mr Royale »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks they are mediocre. :)
Akkya
Expander

Post by Akkya »

not feeling it myself,

but well done on their viral campaign - better effort than the record imo

http://bocpages.org/wiki/Record_Store_Day_incident
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

That puzzle solved by fans that lead up to the announcement of the new album went completely passed me ^^

Right now I'm listening to the entire album for the second time. I think it's great, fresh new stuff but typical BOC style. It's probably their most accessible album for the mainstream electronic music fan. Which, I dunno, is definitely not a bad thing for sure.

Nice that Warp has made the digital version available one day before the official release! :) Will be listening to this at work all day. I'm sure it will only get better each listen, as all their previous albums have.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

RazorJack wrote:That puzzle solved by fans that lead up to the announcement of the new album went completely passed me ^^
It didn't for me, I had to moderate 140 pages of this - http://forum.watmm.com/topic/78556-6-9- ... 1-9-2-2-5/ :D
darktrain
Tingler

Post by darktrain »

pre-ordered the album and it arrived this saturday 2 days before the release so was happy with that..Album is great..very coherent has some elements of older boc styles but definitely a new direction..very soundtracky and dark and foreboding with glimmers of light poking through..loads more synths on this album which aint a bad thing..favourite tracks? split your infinities,white cyclosa,new seeds,come to dust and reach for the dead.bleep.com very kindly sent me flac files and wavs of the album too for free which i was impressed with.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Just got a copy of the 2x12'' today and am over half way through my first listen. First thoughts: I probably need to hear it a lot more times to pass judgement as it's kind of passing me by with little sticking in my mind.
kornbean
Hardhead

Post by kornbean »

Quite a few listens in and its really starting to grow on me. I think that with the first listen, I was judging it too much on what I expected to hear, given the couple press releases that I had read. The most apparent critique being that it is the darkest thing that they've come out with yet. I'm not sure I would agree. I'd argue that they've had gloomier moments in the past, but as a whole, it does seem to lack some of the brighter moments of previous releases. One distinguishable aspect of the album, though, is its percussiveness, which I was quite surprised by. Other than that, it does feel a bit brief, but it really isn't any shorter than any of their other albums. I'm gonna guess a faster average tempo and more even track length is what gives it this sense.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

I predict the majority of disappointed 'boc-fans' with all their complaining about being underwhelmed and how there's lack of melodies will come back in a year or two with ears and minds cleared from those ridiculously grown expectations, and will rediscover and appreciate TH for what it is, just another classic Boards-album.

Really, I'm enjoying this one as much as all their other releases.