Saw THE ORB last night

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
seedy
Antique Toy

Re: Saw THE ORB last night

Post by seedy »

haha pande....you are just one sick puppy =()
as i've said...you are like me or epitome TIMES A BILLION

i cannot even imagine what it must be like to behold your collection. but i sure would like that chance some day. :)
i just don't know how you do it. in many ways it's WORK eh?!?!? i know my collection surely is at times but like we say it's a labor of love ;)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

haha this thread has some nice twists and details

i must say that my music is one thing i don't really "stress"....i just happily work at my hobby :)

my OCD listening system is like this:

-first listens......these are either in my commute or at home when nobody else is around. the point here is undivided attention and f'n CRANKING it so i get that full effect

-2nd listen and so on......when peeps are in the room and i'm not allowed to crank.

-exploratory listening. once i began working late nights a few days out of each month, i had the need for some background music. at first i created a pandora station with all the proper seeds (i created my own stations). pandora has been great as something i can have running and i don't need to give it any attention if i don't want. also by thumbs up and downing stuff and adding appropriate artists i have my stations tweaked well and this has allowed me to actually discover a few new artists. then at one point i discovered full albums on youtube and WOAH is there a wealth out there! basically i use pandora when i really need to focus on my work and i'll play a youtube album when i'm doing lighter work that allows me some focus on what i'm hearing. my youtube "process" is a well oiled machine now....i originally started out googling a few artists i wanted to learn about....found some full length albums....and then from there i've been able to constantly keep the train running by scanning the full albums linked to the right whenever viewing a youtube. i.e. once you have picked a full album, youtube "knows" you'll want more and so you'll always see more and more. SO....when i'm listening to say a tangerine dream album.....i'll find like 4 new albums i haven't heard yet and i bookmark them.
at this point i have probably like 40 albums bookmarked and i just keep adding more as i listen and delete the ones i've heard. in the end this has been a great way for me to check acts out without spending the money or download space.

i definitely do not worry about how much i can listen to etc. it is a little strange to feel like i own so many hours of music that it would take a few years to listen to all of it....but either way i just go with the cosmos and i listen to what i'm told to listen to when making a selection ;p
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

lol epitome "i try not to get into"

MUST. NOT. LIKE!

haha in the past year i've dove head first into tangerine dream, klaus schulze, brian eno, jean michel jarre
i mean.....that is a LOT of fukkin music!
so far i only have a complete KS collection.
the others i haven't even gotten started yet!

ROSS! cool to see you dig some canterbury.....any of the others as well?
i see you have caravan, soft machine.....what about camel, national health?
and i can't imagine you would like GONG do you????

gong obvs evolved but their early stuff i would think fits that title

GOD i love me some GONG

ps - sorry bout the multiple posts folks.....there was a lot to cover here ;)
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

concerning GONG: I have 'Angels Egg' & 'You', both fantastic. But even more fantastic I think is the first Steve Hillage solo album 'Fish Rising' from 1975, recorded with the whole Gong crew minus David Allen, an absolute 70ies highlight of progressive psychedelic spacey jazzy epic stuff topped with fantastic guitar playing, astonishingly modern sounding synth warbling and acid-dripping illumination lyrics that make you just feel good. One of my absolute favourite album from the 70ies.
On later albums he veered a bit much into some cheesy New Age territory about hugging trees and stuff, but I would at least recommend 'Rainbow Dome Musick' from 1980, an early instrumental ambient album which was sampled by LX Paterson on 'Ultraworld' Orb album later.

You can also hear the massive influence Gong/Hillage had on Ozric Tentacles, so I think Mr. seedy, you def should get 'Fish Rising', you won´t regret that.
Magnificient Insignificance
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I've only heard a few things from Gong, they are in my waiting list.

Also, connected with them, is a less known band from that era called Quintessence (http://www.discogs.com/artist/Quintessence+%283%29) which are Awesome.
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Gong - no.
Camel - not really (and not a proper Canterbury band
Hatfield and the North - yes

Live just down the road from Canterbury. Nothing good going on there now sadly.

In terms of stress, I suppose I'm the sort who thinks an album is worth tens/hundreds of listens before really getting to grips with it. Not gonna happen with 5000 albums!
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

haha dennis no worries - my gong family collection is pretty immense ;)
*rainbow dome musick* is actually a great album rec for this forum.....i'm not sure i ever thought to mention it here - good one!
and since we're on a hillage trip it should also be noted that the early system 7 album "water" is quite relaxing and ambient and would fit nicely here. alex played a role with early system 7 as well :)

oh no doubt gong/hillage is huge on ozric and namely ed. he's spoken about it a lot and they've been on each other's albums. and gong is the only band that ozric has ever covered ("om riff") ;)

PANDE.....please move the gong album YOU up on your list. it's about as spacey as they get and possibly my favorite :mrgreen:
other huge notables......angel's egg, flying teapot, expresso II, gazeuse, shamal, 2032

aha hatfield and the north there's one i forgot!
camel yeah idk....i just associate them as canterbury due to their sound.
i find a lot of those bands to really sound similar even though their compositions are obvs all quite unique
just the general "sound"
the tone of their instruments and themes etc.
a lot of band members crossing paths surely helps that too ha
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

seedy wrote: -first listens......these are either in my commute or at home when nobody else is around. the point here is undivided attention and f'n CRANKING it so i get that full effect
I do that too. I always want to give an album all my attention of the first listen especially. Only get that first listen once, right? :)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

yeah it's that and just knowing that AT LEAST ONCE i gave it my full focus
some albums will get many more of that same treatment.....some will never get THAT level again :P
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Haha, yeah!
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

wow this thread took a turn
epitome wrote:Yeah, working really gets in the way of listening to music!
I dunno, depends on your type of job. I sit behind a desk most of my time doing mindnumbingly boring work that barely requires any attention, so I make good use of my smartphone, corporate wi-fi and Spotify! :mrgreen:
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Yeah, I have a lot of free time at work too...
I sometimes use it for music, but most of the time it's just not the right place...
I get in a certain mode when listening to music (and we should agree we don't listen to conventional stuff)
and when someone walks in and asks for some IT help, I'm totally lost and disconnected for a minute or two :)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

haha nice

yeah i play some stuff at work and i'm sure they all thing i'm a madman for listening to weird noises for hours on end

it's like i love to drive around cranking my music. other people do as well but i never ever hear them listening to anything i even remotely like. i guess i just share this trait with people that like horrible music lol

really though......people that stop at a red light next to me must also think......i am a madman

i'm ok with this :)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

:)

I use headphones at work :)
The other two IT guys in the office use earplugs but I don't like that shit, I use proper large headphones :)
I look weird when someone comes in - but I don't really give a fuck...

In the car, I don't even dare to listen the weird shit we're all loving :)
I use "light" music for the car, jazz, funk, AA, stuff with groove that I like but don't take me to other planets like the IDM/ambient/weird electronic stuff...
Last edited by Pandemonium on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

um yeah funny you say this because just last week or so i was listening to an autechre/hafler trio disc and well let's just say it was a lot of rude f'n noises and nearly gave me a heart attack at full volume lol

shit was all quiet for so long then all of a sudden BAM!
CRACCCCKKKKKLECRACKCRACKBAM!

:shock:

i'm not sure i love this one....it's two discs 3ao ae3 or whatever the hell