Aphex Twin - SYRO

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Dennis
Ill Flower

Re: Aphex Twin - SYRO

Post by Dennis »

mcbpete wrote:s it terrible that I found the whole thing kinda forgettable [on first listen] aside from the first and last track?
A 13 years wait for a proper new warp album combined with the fact that the name Aphex Twin is connected with other than superlatives of every kind seems simply impossible have made expectations go exploding through the roof lately, after a few weeks or months when the dust has settled - I assure you you will detect nothing more or less than just another pretty decent release from one of electronics still finest producers around :) (edit: contradiction detector: *meep meep*, ok yeah there's another superlative but it's not meant in an absolute way - there are Gaz'n Brian too...:) )
Magnificient Insignificance
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

So I gave the album a full listen, and quite enjoyed it! :)

I wasn't expecting too much, being not really a fan of most of the previous Aphex Twin albums, but this is pretty good. It's much more accessible, to me at least, than for example Drukqs. Some tracks are a bit too much for me, in terms of weirdness.

And what's up with the track "names"? Did he just slam his head a couple of times on the keyboard after finishing each track, or is there some kind of (conspiracy) theory behind them?? :s

I hope I'll enjoy it more after a couple of spins, which I'll surely do.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Most of them are based around some of the gear used to make them (the Korg MiniPops in the first track, for example.) The last track is his girlfriend's name backwards.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I've given it a couple of listens now and am quite enjoying it. I guess the key thing that stands out is the lack of insane programmed drumming, the overall lushness of the sound and the sheer considered density of it all. It sounds from interview as though the intention was to compile his more generally listenable stuff. It'll be interesting to hear what the more experimental releases are going to be like.
I am the eye that looks within
Ross

Post by Ross »

I'm enjoying more on every listen. Despite it still not sounding very 'immediate' in terms of a particular melody sticking out, it's incredibly addictive.
kornbean
Hardhead

Post by kornbean »

As seems the general consensus, each listen adds to the album. The first listen was a blur to me, but with each listen I am able to catch sight of and appreciate more. There's no doubt in my mind that in ten years' time, this album will be wonderful to rediscover.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Ross wrote:it's incredibly addictive.
Confirmed.

I really think now it´s one of his best releases. Like he took all of the harsh, metallic sounds from drukqs and replaced them with something with a softer, rounder approach. The same as in terms of complexity, but more accessible and listener-friendly.

But there are people out there who don´t like their Aphex listener-friendly, lets hope he pleases them with his further releases.
Didn´t he say in some interview there´s a chapter closed with this album, so who knows what kind of monster is awaiting us around the corner?
Ross

Post by Ross »

Yeah, this was released as a way to move on from this kind of music, and there's some more experimental stuff on its way.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Ross wrote:I'm enjoying more on every listen
Absolutely the same case here !
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

The bonus track is great. It fits very well right before "aisatsana", it kinda lets the album come down smoothly. It´s a shame it´s not on the european version.
billybatts
Tingler

Post by billybatts »

Ross wrote:When jungle came along, Orbital's response was Are We Here?, which takes a jungle influence and does something completely new and exciting with it.
I also liked their DnB take in Times Fly [Fast] from the Times Fly EP, largely forgotten about these days, but all good.
billybatts
Tingler

Post by billybatts »

Found on the tube

http://imgur.com/Ps3zrxT
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

He's at it again....

Very nice of him to release a new EP on my birthday:

Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 EP

Kinda looks like it might be less "poppy" than Syro...

Er, when did he release Part 1?
I am the eye that looks within
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Not sure how many tracks are on it. Looks like 10 to 14 from the text!!! This is an EP? Don't think Pt 1 exists (or maybe it's still unreleased).

If this contains a bunch of weird electro-acoustic stuff like some of the stuff on Drukqs, I'm all in.
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

haha i knew someone would beat me to it

:P