Aphex Twin - SYRO

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: Aphex Twin - SYRO

Post by Ross »

I'm sure there's an element of "let's see how many stupid fanboys we can get worked up with a leak" to it, too.

I will be waiting for a nice shiny vinyl edition on day of release.

Paul Hartnoll's recently been tweeting about a new Orbital album too. Fuck's sake 2014, I've asked you nicely, don't make me get the baseball bat.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Ross wrote:Paul Hartnoll's recently been tweeting about a new Orbital album too. Fuck's sake 2014, I've asked you nicely, don't make me get the baseball bat.
Really ? I must say I've kinda warmed to their last album recently. Way too short, ends on a bit of a wimper than a bung, the breakbeat programming in Beelzedub seems real lazy (or that they just weren't used to that type of fiddling), but aye s'alright. Hopefully it'll be a bit more 'epic' in nature
Ross

Post by Ross »

Vague memories of interviews with Paul suggesting that Wonky was kind of a re-introduction, which is why it was a bit 'slight', and they're moving forward again to do something more interesting / experimental, so hopefully this will be less poppy. Wonky's become my favourite post-'90s Orbital record, despite slightly flat production and their two worst songs ever (Wonky and Beelzedub), so I have hopes that the next one could be really good.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

The song I too really hated in the past (Wonky) sprang to life on recent listens with the latter section which I previously would skip as I couldn't face the intro. The singing loop rather than the rap bit has a real nice pads and other instrumentation that only Orbital seem to manage to pull off.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Dennis wrote:Ok, but it's actually quite good. Would have swallowed it without hesitation as a serious new AFX or Squarepusher release. Don't get it too why someone would make promotion for his stuff by starting such a stupid fake show. Makes it all somewhat unappealing...
I just asked the man - http://forum.watmm.com/topic/84544-aphe ... try2203184
His response isn't going down well :P
Ross

Post by Ross »

mcbpete wrote:The song I too really hated in the past (Wonky) sprang to life on recent listens with the latter section which I previously would skip as I couldn't face the intro. The singing loop rather than the rap bit has a real nice pads and other instrumentation that only Orbital seem to manage to pull off.
It was originally intended as an instrumental, which would have been pretty great. Orbital 'songs' only work when they're indecipherable / wordless (Halcyon / Are We Here / New France)
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Ah interesting - I wonder if that mix is available anywhere ?
Ross

Post by Ross »

Hasn't been released. Apparently the vocals were recorded after they'd finished the album and then come back to it again. Shame.

Orbital news might actually just be a new Paul Hartnoll album, after doing a bit more research. There's definitely a new Orbital one in the works (they posted one of those graphic timeline things on Twitter a while ago, like they had on their making-of-Wonky YouTube diary.)
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

The green eyed monster strikes again, but the guy does have some point.

There is quite a lot of blind faith and utter elation going about and to an extent he could fart into a flanger and still sell a shit load of records, but you do come across as a bit of a knob doing a fake to get some attention - the end result is usually the opposite to what you want.

At the end of the day, other than the Analord stuff, The Tuss album (allegedly) and possibly some even more tenuous rumours, there's not been anything new for a very long time so people can be excused for getting a bit overexcited about the prospect of a new album(s).
I am the eye that looks within
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

lol it's strange we didn't see these for tomorrow's harvest (at least i didn't - though there were plenty of unauthorized remixes to try and latch onto the name)

i've seen fake versions of this album in multiple spots already

idk....i've got soooo much good music in my life that it's not an issue at all to wait for the actual release date
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

mcbpete wrote:His response isn't going down well :P
Ah thanks for sharing it, I already read it on watmm. Such a rascal.
Although I would disclaim being a AFX-'fanboy' who turned blind and deaf because of overexitement, I can see his point. But his track is really damn good, he should contact rephlex or warp or whatever, if that´s not what he did already...

As for Orbital I still have to get into Wonky. I only have listened to 30 sec. clips in a cd-shop months ago, my impression was like: some stuff quite good, some average, and then came 'beelzedub' and I was like: Okaaaaay...that´s not so good. Even 'Acid Pants' is a masterpiece compared to that. It had me ruined the whole album, but maybe I should give it another try once...

What I ask myself is why were they in need to ape this whole dubstep thing in such a bad way, when it was already an almost dead hype, I mean Orbital were one of the originators of popular electronic music in the 90ies (this was the same btw.with MBM and 'Autoimmune')
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross

Post by Ross »

Oh completely, it's a really depressing bandwagon-jumping track from a band who never went near bandwagons before. When jungle came along, Orbital's response was Are We Here?, which takes a jungle influence and does something completely new and exciting with it. Beelzedub is the first Orbital track that doesn't sound remotely like Orbital, because them intentionally trying to sound like somebody else. As a novelty live version of Satan (which is how it started) I have no problem with it, but it really shouldn't have been on the album. Even compare it to Distractions, which has the same dubstep and dnb influences as Beelzedub in the drums, but at least keeps them within an Orbital framework.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

orbital dubstep?

ugh :-/

wonky.....i think this is the one i listened to and wasn't very impressed with

also on topic of orbital - not a huge fan of that album done with eno either......at least after one listen :)
Ross

Post by Ross »

Orbital/Eno? Are you high, seedy?
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

I think Seedy's talking about Eno/Hyde ???

I approve of this Aphex Twin thread going on strange tangents.