Aphex Twin - SYRO

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: Aphex Twin - SYRO

Post by Pandemonium »

It's a really good track... Yet somehow I expected more.
I guess everybody are expecting too much after so many years...
You're doin' too much, do less.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Yeah, really like that track, surprisingly chilly and melodic tune. Reminds me too of some plaid-stuff, the weird melody and vocal and everything. I wonder if the whole album will be in that mood, or if there will be some harsher stuff too on the record.

It's really fascinating to see all this high expectation turning slowly into dissapointment like 'it's good, but I expected more, something weird and completely unheard' to 'lets be honest, it's his weakest release so far' - as it was the case with 'Tomorrows Harvest' which I still think is great up to today. Pretty sure almost 50% of the people talking about their throbbing penises whilst having the highest anticipations will drown in dissapointment when the album finally arrives and turns out to be nothing else than just another Aphex album.
Magnificient Insignificance
kornbean
Hardhead

Post by kornbean »

This might answer your question, Dennis (if you don't mind a little spoiling).
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Oh thanks man, but I'm afraid I've read all those trackbytrack reviews published already, so no problem with spoiling :) I'm pretty sure SYRO will not dissapoint me in any way, I'm just not expecting that much like just, erm another pretty awesome RDJ-track collection, like Chosen Lords or The Tuss, that would be more than OK for me!
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Ok, first listening impressions:

I totally dig the first 4 tracks, melodic lush yet twisted in this unique special Aphex-manner - the ultimate sofa techno listening experience. With track 5 things start to get weird. 180db is a nice reminiscence of early 90ies mental rave madness though - but I think stuff like Xylem Tube or Joyrex EP's were just more 'original' in that way. Still have to get into the CIRCLONT-tracks, esp. the second one - a bit too much for me at the mo, might get it with further listens. The last 3 tracks return to form - melodic lushness and lots of 80ies style synths - pretty great. And that piano piece - beautiful. He should make an album full of these. All in all - SYRO will keep me busy get fully into it - which is actually a good thing.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Still waiting on delivery for my one....
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Should be getting my (unnecessary triple) LP on Monday, happy to wait until then... still digesting Environment Five and a couple of other recent purchases.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Woo!

(As you can see, the postman got me out of bed)
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

It's even better when the postman gets you out of bed, and you have absolutely no idea what he brings because you ordered something ca. half a year ago, and have totally forgotten about, like it happened when amazon finally delivered the issnes mispress digipak to me a few months ago :)
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

So far I've only got a .pdf from warp .... Maybe if I rename it to .wav it'll become a Merzbow remix of the album
darktrain
Tingler

Post by darktrain »

first 4 tracks are great and the last track too...deleted the rest and made my own little e.p.

Reminds me of 90's warp style electronica.

the good old days
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

At first listens I got the impression that something like memorable melodies is missing somehow, the whole thing appeared more like some kind of jazzy electronic jamming (except for minipops), but with repeated listens it appeared that there are in fact MYRIADS of memorable melodies, hidden within and behind nearly every track, it's awesome.
Ross

Post by Ross »

I definitely would prefer at least a couple of tracks in there with the melodies up at the fore... an Alberto Balsalm or a Vordhosbn or something... and definitely more mellow stuff on there. It's very dense and heavy going start to finish, other than the last track, obviously. Going to take a lot of listens to get into which - perhaps surprisingly - has never happened with Aphex before for me. But I do like everything that's there, the sound is wonderful and all the little bits are great. The almost title track, produc 29 and the last track are the three standouts for me after the first day.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Is it terrible that I found the whole thing kinda forgettable [on first listen] aside from the first and last track?

EDIT: How the Japanese bonus track didn't make it onto the album but 180db did I have no idea. In fact it's better than almost all of the tracks on the album -

Ross

Post by Ross »

Listened on headphones for the first time today, it's a whole different record. I'm enjoying it more each listen - although there still isn't much that's sticking in the way that those tracks I mentioned in the last post did. There's just so much going on in every track that it's difficult to point out exactly which track each melancholic detuned synth melody belongs to. It's kind of like someone took the whole of Analord and The Tuss, cut them up and rearranged them in double time. Lots of great stuff, but it doesn't seem to quite make sense as a series of individual tracks.

Give it more listens, anyway. I'm sure you'll find lots to love.