Gear talk...

Make some music, have some musical tips or questions ? Well, why not bung them in here !
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Gear talk...

Post by tryptych »

I know a lot of people here make music, and I was wondering what kind of gear you use? Plugins, outboard etc..

I'm currently using (these are plugins of course)

- Sonimus Satson (buss & channel)
- EMI RS124 compressor (adds mad character and smashes drums)
- Nebula: Tape 5042 (a Neve Portico 5042 emulation, does wonders to the low end)
- For occasional EQuing, DMG Audio eQuality
- Boosting: some Pultec clone, usually Softube.
- Izotope Ozone mainly for frequency monitoring etc.

I'm also currently testing the new Brainworx Vertigo VCA dual channel compressor.. love it! Just what the doctor ordered, although some tube emulation would've been even better.

I also just bought the commercial license to Nebula and ordered the Mammoth (Manley Massive-Passive) and Doc Fear (this baby here -> http://www.mercenary.com/dwfearvactub.html) EQ bundle from Analoginthebox.com (yet to arrive)

I'm in gear heaven! :cry:
from the source flows the endless...
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Re: Gear talk...

Post by mcbpete »

PC running Jeskola Buzz
erm, and that's it ...

Keeping my setup minimal !
(actually I do also use Zoom H2 for field recordings, and Reaper for mastering)
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

I love how there's so much exotic gear coming out as a plugin.. stuff you'd never get hold of (and for cheap!).

I also used Reaper for mastering.. recently switched to Presonus One because it supports VST3's. I love the the rendering options in Reaper 'tho.
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

i use reaper too, and lots of freeware vst, im a long time unployed and dont buy nothing to nothing...

cakewalk z3ta (full) from computer music magazine
make sounds with Minimogue standalone(auto record in wav)
korg legacy m-1
oddy free v1
arppe2600
elextronic xl
inorganic1
products from dsk
Astralis_Baby_Bion_1-0
Artemis
Atonoise-free
bend box
Arptronv2.5
23_words
CatharsisIR
DanteV1.3
Pterosaur
Protein
SUPERWAVEP8
Torpedo_PI-FREE_1.0.4_VST_PC
vurbox
t-synth
and another etc etc
something to the own pro magix music composser with his keyusb midi
and im still rec in ordinary mp3 rec for fields

basic but complete for make something , pass the time and enjoy with sounds.
Last edited by Tito Lozano on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

lol wow

i have:
m-audio controller/keyboard
Cakewalk Sonar Pro and a bunch of extra stuff with it
hardly a clue how to use it yet
an 8 month old child

=()
LooseLink
Expander

Post by LooseLink »

I'm abit more built up technically as a illustrator than a musician, hoping to get a Wacom Cintiq soon (OMG-OMG-OMG etc)

Basically just Fruity Loops, TONS of VSTs, external keyboard, Acid 8. Back around the time of Random I was thinking of grabbing a external Midi Controller, but never got around to it.
LooseLink
Expander

Post by LooseLink »

Is Reaper quite good for mastering?
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Well for me it's mainly just because it's a low memory/cpu footprint of a DAW that makes it my personal mastering software of choice. Also the fact that I used be be a Sony Vegas user for video production and the workflow, keyboard shortcuts and look were so similar that made it a no brainer ...
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Second Thought, in its time, used Fruityloops 2 back in the day (I actually revisited it recently and made a couple of nice tracks), Acid 2, 3, 4 and 7, Reason 3, Reaper, Logic 5, various versions of Audiomulch, various versions of Ableton Live, whatever freeware generative software was floating around at the time and far too many VSTs. Hardware wise I had an M-audio controller which didn't like beer so died in a spillage incident last year sometime, since then I bought a cheaper one - er, i-2 I think? I don't have it with me at the moment - which does the job just as well. I've used various guitars usually miked up with SM58s. I had a really nice Tascam US-122 external sound unit but it doesn't seem to get on very well with Windows 7 so I've been on The World's Shittest Soundcard since last summer.
The Blackbirds' Revenge - my first post-Second Thought album - was mostly made in Ableton Live, one track features a piano VST but otherwise it's edit audio stuff.

In the future I'm throwing the laptop out (er, metaphorically) and going back to hardware... should be getting myself a 4-track soon, and back to playing my guitar again. Just need to get myself a proper keyboard...
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Dear Santa..

or

impurfekt
Hardhead

Post by impurfekt »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I was just going to make a similar one but found this. I'll chime in with my setup:

Hardware:

Mac Mini (2012) (w/external USB 3 7200rpm HDD)
Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 (better preamps than the Apogee Duet I used to have)
Yamaha HS80Ms
Shure SM57

Software:

Cubase 7 (just switched from Logic 9 this laster winter; harder to use but better where it counts)
Vienna Symphonic Library (money well spent)
Arturia V Collection (classic synth library)
MOTU BPM (software drum machine)
GForce VSM (sampled classic string machine library)
Symphony of Voices (mind-blowing choir sample library)
KORG Legacy Collection (classic KORG analog synth library)

Plug-ins:

QuikQuak Pitchwheel
Cableguys VolumeShaper
Voxengo SPAN (got tired of waiting for Schope to go 64-bit, works better anyway)

I've always been "in the box" and likely will be unless I strike it rich. It keeps things neat and tidy; just the way I like it.

The big item on my wish list right now is Ethno World 5. I want to implement A LOT more world sounds into my music.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Over the course of 2012 and the first half of this year I moved away from the 4-track (it broke) and back to a computer-based setup, and coincidentally got back to the point where I hated making music again. And really got sick of that laptoppy electronica sound again. So I'm going to be returning to hardware again in the future. Once I get my 4-track fixed I'll be with that, a classical guitar, a Squire precision bass, a couple of electric guitars, Boss delay and overdrive pedals, a Behringer four track mixer, a Stylophone, harmonica, melodica, some flutes and shakers, and my voice. I want to get a Zoom H2 and a shit load more pedals. And eventually a nice synthy synth.
Akkya
Expander

Post by Akkya »

Things I use to make music

i7 pc
axiom 25
Maschine
Ableton
Faderfox LV1
Numark Control
Traktor F1
Beyer 770 Headphones
Emu 1616m Soundcard

Stuff I mostly use

Guitar Rig 5
Ohmicide
Reaktor 5
Izotope Alloy 2
Izotope Trash 2
Massive
Albino 3
Absynth 5
Camelphat
Camel Space
Tons of other VST's
Most of the Maschine Soundpacks
Years worth of sample collecting
my imagination
previous inspiration

Great Books and Tv and Film
Video Games
my kids
my wife
History
Last edited by Akkya on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akkya
Expander

Post by Akkya »

Ross wrote:Over the course of 2012 and the first half of this year I moved away from the 4-track (it broke) and back to a computer-based setup, and coincidentally got back to the point where I hated making music again. And really got sick of that laptoppy electronica sound again. So I'm going to be returning to hardware again in the future. Once I get my 4-track fixed I'll be with that, a classical guitar, a Squire precision bass, a couple of electric guitars, Boss delay and overdrive pedals, a Behringer four track mixer, a Stylophone, harmonica, melodica, some flutes and shakers, and my voice. I want to get a Zoom H2 and a shit load more pedals. And eventually a nice synthy synth.
I have a zoom h2n if you wanna buy it
brand new hardly used
Ross

Post by Ross »

If you've still got it in <insert currently unknown long time> then I'm up for it. Won't have any spare cash for a bit. But cheers!