Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

(2003-01-27) Stakker - Eurotechno

Post by Ross »

STAKKER - EUROTECHNO (2003)
CD (CAT129CD)/LP (CAT129LP) 27th January 2003

01-21. Untitled

Notes:
Personnel: Brian Dougans, Mark Maclean, Colin Scott.

Mark Maclean is better known as Buggy G. Riphead.

Cover sticker on the CD states "For the 1st time ever, the original soundtrack of a visionary landmark in dance music culture 'acid techno magic'".

Soundtrack to the classic 1989 video Eurotechno. Recorded around the time of the Humanoid material, the record in fact features some material from the Humanoid Sessions disc. Re-released on Richard D. James (Aphex Twin) and Grant Wilson-Claridge's Rephlex label in 2003. On the topic of how the release came about, Brian explained:

"He (RDJ) phoned me and said he wants to talk about Stakker. How much of an influence on him and Grant it had been, and could he put it out on Rephlex. Of course 'Yes' was the reply.

I spent several weeks pulling on old reels of tape. The whole track at one point was hanging of my wall on pieces of tape - about 300-400 little pieces of 1/4 inch tape; which we then randomly grabbed and re-pieced together - that's why it keeps changing mad frantic cuts!

I sent everything to Grant and him, and Richard formed the Stakker session album. Then they also licensed the EUROTECHNO soundtrack from MGM in USA. When it came to mastering and cutting the album I met with Richard and Grant in south London. We spent several hours mastering, and then Richard said: I live around the corner, lets go back for some recreational activities. He at that point lived in a 5 store office block, the basement was flooded, the ground floor was like a building site. He lived at the top, in between were his studios - piano room - synths - etc - very cool. I spent the rest of the day with Richard and Grant, indulging... Lovely guy, very serious, lives for ART..."