What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by tryptych »

LORDS OF ACID KICK ASS!

Latest

Marilyn Manson: The Pale Emperor
(2015)

Ugh. If you want to hear some wretched, tired bluesy-goth-rock from Brian, be my guest. Long gone are the days of Mechanical Animals and techno-industrial bangers. "Birds Of Hell" is probably the only song I'll ever listen from this.

Cocteau Twins: Milk & Kisses (1996)

It's OK. I've figured that I mostly just like the Twinlights and Otherness EPs and the Violaine singles. The rest are a bit too typical ethereal stuff which I'm not a huge fan of (although I enjoy some of the Projekt Records catalogue etc).

Bauhaus: In The Flat Field (1980)

Just started to listen to this. I've been meaning to get into them for a long time and decided to go chronologically.
from the source flows the endless...
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

tryptych wrote:
(2015)

Ugh. If you want to hear some wretched, tired bluesy-goth-rock from Brian, be my guest. Long gone are the days of Mechanical Animals and techno-industrial bangers. "Birds Of Hell" is probably the only song I'll ever listen from this.
I think The Pale Emperor is a great album, MM yet again changing his style. I'd put it in my top 3 MM albums, along with Antichrist Superstar and The Golden Age of Grotesque.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

i'm taking a 2nd journey through the alan parsons project albums and i'm getting into them this time
there is a cheese factor here and there but overall a bunch of tunes give me strong floyd vibes and well the production is obvs top notch ;)
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

epitome wrote:
tryptych wrote:
(2015)

I think The Pale Emperor is a great album, MM yet again changing his style. I'd put it in my top 3 MM albums, along with Antichrist Superstar and The Golden Age of Grotesque.
OK dude, if you're a fan of that era you might like this. I have to admit that I'm a HUGE fan of his stuff circa MA & Holywood (especially on the visual side). Just not feeling this one (or basically anything after Holywood).. I miss the industrial rock/metal bangers from that era. This is just very different , just not to my taste.

I used to think that the guy is a total poser, but he's just really one of a kind (for real). It's also ironic 'tho that Rolling Stone and shit like that are praising the album :D
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I really like Nine Inch Nails (Reznor solo projects too) - and in my mind, Marilyn Manson has always been some dude who aspired to be NIN, but never was...
You're doin' too much, do less.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Pandemonium wrote:I really like Nine Inch Nails (Reznor solo projects too) - and in my mind, Marilyn Manson has always been some dude who aspired to be NIN, but never was...
They are totally different.

Next up

Ladytron - Gravity The Seducer Remixed (2014)
Autolux - Pussy's Dead (2016)
People Like Us - Beware The Whim Reaper (1996, really looking forward to this)

Right now, I'm listening to "The Smashing Pumpkins" live club gig from the TV (although in my mind, they're not really the Pumpkins since it's basically only Corgan). So-so.
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

Sunn O))) - Kannon part 1
Kannon (2015)

This album has grown even more on me lately. So can not wait to see the guys live again :-)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

tryptych wrote:
epitome wrote: I think The Pale Emperor is a great album, MM yet again changing his style. I'd put it in my top 3 MM albums, along with Antichrist Superstar and The Golden Age of Grotesque.
OK dude, if you're a fan of that era you might like this. I have to admit that I'm a HUGE fan of his stuff circa MA & Holywood (especially on the visual side). Just not feeling this one (or basically anything after Holywood).. I miss the industrial rock/metal bangers from that era. This is just very different , just not to my taste.

I used to think that the guy is a total poser, but he's just really one of a kind (for real). It's also ironic 'tho that Rolling Stone and shit like that are praising the album :D
Well, I like all MM's albums, to be honest, those were just my favourites. MA has some of his best songs on, but also a couple of pretty bad ones (which is unusual for him) and it seems totally unbalanced as an album, which spoils it a bit for me (I still like it a lot though).

I also used to think he was a poser. I remember mocking friends who liked him in the late 90s, whilst they mocked me for my love of The Smashing Pumpkins. I only actually got into listening to MM a few years ago, but I've listened to everything he's put out now and it's a really strong collection of work.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

tryptych wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:I really like Nine Inch Nails (Reznor solo projects too) - and in my mind, Marilyn Manson has always been some dude who aspired to be NIN, but never was...
Every 'similar artists' search engine says they're not different at all, but ... nevermind ...
You're doin' too much, do less.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Bought this compilation:

https://earthlings-compilation.bandcamp.com/

Only listened the first 6 tracks so far, but enjoying what I've heard :)
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Pandemonium wrote:
tryptych wrote:
Every 'similar artists' search engine says they're not different at all, but ... nevermind ...

They shared the same artisic vision around 94/95 when Reznor produced his albums and even wrote some songs for "Antichrist...", if I´m not wrong, but after that they went in different directions, Reznor becoming the producer-genius with "The Fragile" and MM turning into that aseptic alien-looking rock star creature, exploring interesting David-Bowie-inspired Glam Rock/Metal territory with "Mechanical Animals".

I really kind of liked MM at that time around MA & Holywood, a fascinating character who was really strong at creating weird outfits and images - I remember getting really scared when I first saw the video clips from "Antichrist...", I mean he really kind of 'invented' a certain kind of look or aesthetic that was really iconic back around those days.

After "Golden Age..." I lost interest in him musically, I think he kind of repeated himself too much, he´s seems to be lacking a strong producer figure like Reznor backing him. But I have never heard the albums after that.
Magnificient Insignificance
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

i find them plenty different too

both dark, gothy, industrial whatever but i associate MM more with traditional rock and the horror glamshow shit he does

NIN i think of as more "pure" industrial

i prefer NIN over the two for sure
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

seedy wrote:i find them plenty different too

both dark, gothy, industrial whatever but i associate MM more with traditional rock and the horror glamshow shit he does

NIN i think of as more "pure" industrial

i prefer NIN over the two for sure
They are musically hella different :)

Both are very far away from what was traditionally labeled as industrial (Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire etc..). They were labeled as industrial by the press and it stuck. I guess Reznor didn't mind since he's a huge fan of the original genre.

I have to agree with Dennis, although I lost interest even earlier, after Holywood.. seems like the dude totally lost the depth of his previous work. Apparently his drug/boozing habits finally got to him.. he's a total alcoholic now (or maybe getting better nowadays? Could be.)

Umm yeah, BTT.. the new Autolux is awesome. The first tracks of the Ladytron remixes are fucking terrible, last 4 tracks are pretty cool.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

FSOL - archived 8

At first listens I was a bit underwhelmed by this, but now I think of it among the best of the series.
A very cohesive listen, strangely, as some tracks differ heavily stylistic-wise.
'Standing Room' is such an awesome track, it catapultes me into another world at every listen.
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Yes, wonderful record. Definitely sounds less organic than the bulk of their '90s material but works brilliantly in its own right. The last three Archives have had their own individual sounds rather than sounding like a jumble of their earlier eras, which is what I particularly love about them - it's an alternate timeline where these albums were actually released. Much like Environments 2.

np Tangerine Dream - Quantum Key
Wonderful EP that bodes well for this year's Quantum Gate album.