Forthcoming FSOL picture disc vinyl on Touched Revolutions

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: Forthcoming FSOL picture disc vinyl on Touched Revolutions

Post by Ross »

To the best of my knowledge, this is a vinyl version of a previously CD-only release.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Confirmed by Martin: this will be a 12" picture disc issue of the first A Controlled Vista, the album that originally appeared in the Touched by Silence boxset.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Record stores are beginning to offer this for pre-order. Dates seem to range from 12th November to 20th December at the moment. Here are some links:

Redeye Records
Deejay.de
Horizons Music
Japhy
Ross

Post by Ross »

gabo86
Hardhead

Post by gabo86 »

Hi, I don't know if somebody remembers me...I'm the fan who collects "full albums" only. I just wanted to ask if this year there has been some "full album" out...because there have been reworkings (in forms of long singles), then the AA mini-album (which is not complete, the complete album should come out next years)...but...is A Controlled Vista considered a full album?
Thank you in advance!
Gabo
Trigga Bo
Tingler

Post by Trigga Bo »

gabo86 i think FSOLDigital presents "A Controlled Vista" as compilation/mixed
Ross

Post by Ross »

A Controlled Vista is 50 minutes of new music, albeit presented as a single track. They've not really said if it's a mix or an album or what... as ever, with recent FSOL it's kind of up to you to decide what fits your description of a full album or not.

That said, if you are ignoring the Calendar albums, Record Store Day reworkings and such because they aren't conventional albums then you're missing out on some of the band's best music! I understand finding short EPs and such fiddly, but this year's Cascade release is longer than any of the Environments albums and just as good.
gabo86
Hardhead

Post by gabo86 »

I am against EPs for two reasons: first, they are too short (I tend to listen only to album-lenght records); second, some EP tracks then end up in albums, and I don't want "doubles".
For longform singles, I don't like to listen to the same track over and over, albeit in different guises and remixes. Are this longform singles "different (within)" enough?
I once listed all the FSOL(-related) albums I own: should I add something (without breaking my rules - that is, the forementioned reasons)?

My list (in alphabetical order):

1984-1987 (Vol.1)
1984-1987 (Vol.2)
1984-1987 (Vol.3)
Accelerator
Alice In Ultraland
Archived : Environmental : Views
Archived 8
Blackhill Transmitter
Built By Humanoid
By Any Other Name
Dead Cities
Earthbeat
Environment 6.5
Environment Five
Environment Six
Environments
Environments 3
Environments 4
Environments II
Eurotechno
Four Forests
From The Archives Vol. 1
From The Archives Vol. 2
From The Archives Vol. 3
From The Archives Vol. 4
From The Archives Vol. 5
From The Archives Vol. 6
From The Archives Vol. 7
From The Archives Vol. 9
Global
Hand-made Devices
Ignition Of The Sun
ISDN
Life In Moments
Lifeforms CD1
Lifeforms CD2
Sessions 84-88
Tales Of Ephidrina
The Cartel Vol. 1
The Cartel Vol. 2
The Issness
The Pepperment Tree And Seeds Of Superconsciousness
The Pulse EPs
The San Monta Tapes
The Woodlands Of Old
Ross

Post by Ross »

I depends on how different you want tracks to be; obviously there are songs on the Archives, first three Environments, The Peppermint Tree, The Cartel, Earthbeat which are all alternate versions of others.
Length-wise, I'm not a big fan of anything that runs less than 30 minutes, but most of FSOL's EPs and such are 35-65 minutes, so they're longer than a lot of band's normal albums.

My suggestion would probably be to listen to the multi-path releases, which vary in length and amount of repeated material. You might find them too repetitive, but you might find there's enough new material there to enjoy. A quick overview:
The Lifeforms EP is particularly notable, it has five tracks that are totally unrelated to the album version, plus the album version and a very different remix of Life Form Ends, and runs to 39 minutes.
We Have Explosive EP has some very different tracks and runs to about 30 minutes.
The Cascade and My Kingdom have more obvious recurring themes, but the 'main' versions are very different to the album versions. About 35 minutes each.

My Kingdom Re-Imagined features a re-recording of the original, then two other tracks that feature the same drum loop, the other seven tracks are totally unique. Runs to 43 minutes.
Yage 2019 features a re-recording of the original, three alternate versions and nine unique tracks. Runs to 52 minutes.
Cascade 2020 features re-recordings of two parts of the original EP (both totally different to the album version), plus 11 tracks that contain subtle elements of the original but mostly feel unique. Runs to 60 minutes.
Papua New Guinea Translations features the original, plus seven alternate versions that sometimes feature the same chords, but some are unrecognisable from the original. Runs to 54 minutes.
Mello Hippo Disco Show and We Persuade Ourselves We Are Immortal do feel like samey remixes of the same track for 40 minutes, so I'd probably avoid those.

The Calendar Albums are definitely worth a purchase, they're all original tracks and 50-60 minutes. If you don't like the track-a-month approach, you can pick them up as complete albums by buying at the end of the year.
gabo86
Hardhead

Post by gabo86 »

Ross,
you've really intrigued my. I seem to be pretty interested in 2019-2020 re-workings.
About calendar albums, those track haven't been reissued somewhere else, have they?
I think I'll buy them (the three reworkings and the calendars...maybe Translations, I don't know).
Ross

Post by Ross »

Two Calendar tracks ended up on Archived 9 - the rest are all exclusives.
gabo86
Hardhead

Post by gabo86 »

Ok, and the same for the reworked singles?
Because, for example, I remember some "bonus track" (from some Archives or Environments, I can't recall exactly) that ended up on something like Life In Moments...but it's ok, they were bonus tracks, so I did not include them.
And, for Archived : Environmental : Views, the CD version has only new tracks (and that's the version I picked), while the vinyl version has lots of already-released tracks.
Is that correct?