Dead Cities 2LP reissue

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Dead Cities 2LP reissue

Post by Ross »

A copy has turned up in Tel Aviv. There’s been no official announcement but it seems that it’s snuck out early a few months ahead of release. Identical to the original, other than catalogue number and label credits on the back.
Ross

Re: Dead Cities 2LP reissue

Post by Ross »

Out 16th April!
Mandrake

Post by Mandrake »

Ross wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:38 amOut 16th April!
For the rest of us? If it is going to be available in Europe then you just made my day, if not my week! Thank you. I can dust off the golden coins that I left hoping that I am gonna be able to grab that LP. Oh I am so happy!
Ross

Post by Ross »

It’s released by Universal so should be pretty widely available.

Actually, the leaked info last month came from an Israeli shop selling it, so yeah, should be easily available.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

I *think* this is another one of those crazy clever bots that have started joining here..... Mandrake are you real - And if so why the throw to some random SEO website in your profile ...?!
billybatts
Tingler

Post by billybatts »

It's a freaking arms race eh?
Ross

Post by Ross »

Ah, you're right. I'm assuming these are actually people rather than bots who are being paid to post something seemingly relevant so they don't get deleted.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Think you're totally right ... Sorry Mandrake - you're outta here !
Neil
Hardhead

Post by Neil »

Will there be any extras/deluxe version? Not to say i'm not excited for just the original record, thats enough for me, but just intrigued. I guess a lot from that time has come out with the Archive series and the Record Store Day releases? Either way i'm so happy for this. Bought an expensive copy of the original pressing online a couple of years ago, but i was disappointed with the amount of noise, pops and wear and tear (to be expected i guess), so this is great and welcomed news! I've literally been keeping tabs on the internet for years about a possible repressing of this!
Ross

Post by Ross »

It's just a straight-up re-press, like the one of Lifeforms the other year.

There's plenty of stuff that could accompany a deluxe CD version - it would consist largely of alt versions of the tracks, I'd imagine, as a large number of tracks from the era have indeed appeared on the Archives and early Environments - but it would be a matter of whether Universal considered it financially worthwhile or not. Which artists get deluxe reissues seems to be fairly random - The Orb got 2CD sets way back in the day, including the 'flop' album Cydonia, and Underworld and Biosphere are handling their own reissues since they got the rights back to their old albums. Other artists from the era don't seem to be faring quite as well - Orbital haven't had any reissues other than vinyl, the Chemical Brothers have only had Surrender reissued...
I'd honestly take these standalone LPs as a sign we won't be getting any deluxe sets, as normally a multi-CD box and a standard LP tend to accompany each other. There are still archives and re-recordings to come, though, so I'm sure we'll get plenty more old material in the future...
Neil
Hardhead

Post by Neil »

Cheers Ross, that's interesting and makes sense i guess from Universal's point of view, if not the fans. The stand alone vinyl is enough for me as i'm kind of rebuilding a collection of lifelong favourites on vinyl. Have most of Underworld stuff now, and 808 State. Orbital stuff would be cool (checks wallet...). Really loved getting Lifeforms vinyl when that re-released and have been really enjoying the RSD and Archive/Environments releases (vinyl or otherwise) - its re-sparked my fandom really, but i think Dead Cities is my most sought after of anything as that album was such a world for me when i was younger! I've never been able to pin it down, so that 25 years later i'm still hearing new elements and it always sounds fresh - so cant wait for the repress. Cheers.
tengram
Hardhead

Post by tengram »

I would love to see ISDN released (2 LP version).
nanio tine
Hardhead

Post by nanio tine »

damm I bought a second hand copy earlier in the year for £50!! oh well great to see that Virgin are still interested in the band and see them as a worthwhile investment. maybe we’ll still get a dvd of the music videos and an isdn and epheidina reissue too!
Ross

Post by Ross »

Recordstore.co.uk are apparently offering a version with a limited edition lithograph print. No idea what this is a print of, but here's the link for those who are interested.
Neil
Hardhead

Post by Neil »

Cheers for posting. I got my copy from FSOL Bandcamp yesterday. Played it through and my copy sounds really clean and quiet so hopefully it's a good pressing all round. Doesn't seem to be further detail about the lithograph version on the Record Store site but will be interesting to see.