Help identify this FSOL collection?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
warpy
Hardhead

Help identify this FSOL collection?

Post by warpy »

Hello board, relatively new FSOL fan here having dug into their discography at the beginning of this pandemic and now going through a 2nd time. Long story short, after a hard drive failure and moving to a new storage solution, I went through some long dormant files and discovered a FSOL collection that I have no memory of acquiring and have had no luck in identifying its origin. It's been bugging me for a while, but I never bothered to ask here because I don't know why no reason really...

Anyway, it is titled "From the Archives, Vol. X" and has a 1h50m total duration. These are 320kbps mp3 files, and have the year 2007 in the tag metadata, though this seems very suspect to me. The original file "date modified" metadata was overwritten with my data migration, so I can't tell how long I've had this thing. I've pasted the track list below. Thanks in advance!

1 She Fell Backwards 6:53
2 Proportioned 5:39
3 Dead Dolphine 2 5:23
4 Lifeform Album Varient 4:19
5 East Pacifica 3:13
6 Eleven Hot Knives 4:13
7 Switzerland 5:17
8 Egypt (Original) 5:09
9 Tif Feetall 2:50
10 Under Pass 14:16
11 Environment A 2:45
12 Environment B 0:51
13 Environment C 0:51
14 Environment D 0:15
15 Environment E 0:37
16 Environment F 0:43
17 Environment G 0:51
18 Telephone 0:05
19 Tales of ephidrina Environments 7:38
20 Accelerator Environments 4:10
21 Lifeforms Environments I 5:26
22 Lifeforms Environments II 5:06
23 ISDN Environments 10:21
24 Dead Cities Environments 7:17
25 We have explosive environments 5:49
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: Help identify this FSOL collection?

Post by Ross »

Tracks 2-8, plus 10, all leaked online in the late '00s, no idea from where. Lifeforms Album Varient is Plasmatik, Switzerland is a longer version of the released mix, Egypt (Original) is The End of the World, minus the strings. The others have been waiting for release ever since... no idea if we'll ever get 'official' versions of them, so they're nice bonuses really.

The Lifeforms/Dead Cities/etc. Environments were put together by a fan years ago, they might have been posted on the earlier version of this board, or possibly even on the FSOLLIST. Mid-'00s, from memory. Just the between-track environments from the albums all mixed together to create some nice ambient listening.

Tif Feetal appears to be literally just taken from Archive 5.

The mystery comes from the other tracks.
She Fell Backwards is the full length version (sadly edited on Archive 6), Proportioned is Brujo with a different name.
In terms of the Environments tracks, a is A Corner, B is Environment - Thunder, C is UU, D is some sounds from the Lifeforms era I think, E is the first 37 seconds of Insides, F and G are Dead Cities tour environments. Telephone is pretty much what it says.
I have literally no idea where any of these came from. D, F and G definitely sound like something that could have come from the studio rather than bits cut from transmissions, which suggests these might all be other tracks that leaked. There was a period when a bunch of unreleased tracks found their way online (including some recordings from 2006-2008), although nobody really knows who put them out there.
warpy
Hardhead

Post by warpy »

Well that answers that, thanks so much Ross! I continue to follow along with the Fractional Difference journey, so thanks for all that excellent work as well. When I went through the catalog in 2020 it was a blast to do with very little prior knowledge. Doing it again along with your write-ups is like it's brand new all over again.
fsolish
Hardhead

Post by fsolish »

Ok, let's go...
Time to come clean.

I made the "From the Archives Vol. X" in 2007.
(I also made the Fsolar systems Trip 1-3 back in 1998, and the ISDN - Outtakes, but that is for another day.)
The Lifeforms/Dead Cities/etc environments was also made by me back in 2000(ish) and was indeed shared on the earlier version of this board.

Anyway, in the early 2000's I "accidentally" stumbled on a downloadable folder when digging deep into the old yage.co.uk site with some web tools I don't remember the name of anymore. I did find a list of MP3 files and it was just right click and save as type of thing. This was way, way before the birth of FSOLDigital.com.

Then in 2007 after the From The Archives Vol. 4 was released I decided to put the unreleased tracks and the home made album environments together to create an album as I was on a FSOL high at the moment. (Calling it Vol.X was not meant like Vol.10, but more like Vol.Unknown).

This was however never meant to be shared online, but made purely for my own listening pleasure. But, it ended up in a wrong folder on my computer by mistake and was accidentally shared. And then it was to late..

HOWEVER! The most interesting/intriguing part of it all is the original file names of the downloaded files which, untouched, goes like this:

FSOL Archive 1 - Fsol Archive 1 - 05 - Eleven Hot Knives.mp3
FSOL Archive 1 - Fsol Archive 1 - 14 - Cellular Control.mp3
Fsol Archive 2 - Archive Vol 2 - 05 - Lifeform Album Varient.mp3
Fsol Archive 2 - Archive Vol 2 - 11 - Space Squid.mp3
Fsol Archive 3 - Fsol Archive 3 - 10 - Lost Transmission.mp3
FSOL - ARCHIVE VOL.9 - 00 - Yage Orig.mp3
FSOL - ARCHIVE VOL.9 - 00 - Under Pass.mp3
FSOL - ARCHIVE VOL.11 - 00 - Empires.mp3
FSOL - ARCHIVE VOL.11 - 00 - Switzerland.mp3
FSOL - ARCHIVE VOL.12 - 00 - Dead Dolphine 2.mp3
FSOL - ARCHIVE VOL.12 - 00 - Envi 4a1.mp3
FSOL - ARCHIVE VOL.12 - 00 - Envi A2.mp3
FSOL - ARCHIVE VOL.12 - 00 - Envi A3.mp3
FSOL - ARCHIVE VOL.12 - 00 - Enviroment A1.mp3
FSOL - ARCHIVE VOL.12 - 00 - She Fell Backwards.mp3
FSOL - ARCHIVE VOL. 18 - 00 - EYGPT Orig.mp3
FSOL - ARCHIVE VOL. 18 - 00 - ILL FLOWERS 1.mp3
FSOL - ARCHIVE VOL. 19 - 00 - East Pacifica.mp3
FSOL - ARCHIVE VOL. 19 - 00 - Enviroment 7uu.mp3
FSOL - ARCHIVE VOL. 22 - 00 - Proportioned.mp3
FSOL - ARCHIVE VOL. 22 - 00 - The Teeth Of The Wind.mp3
FSOL - ARCHIVE VOL.29 - 00 - Fsol -ENVI - LA 5.mp3
FSOL - ARCHIVE VOL.29 - 00 - Fsol -ENVI 6.mp3
FSOL - ARCHIVE VOL.29 - 00 - Fsol -Envi LA 1.mp3
FSOL - ARCHIVE VOL.29 - 00 - FSOL -LA - Tronk 1-Appropriate.mp3
FSOL - SM Vol1 - SMOKING FISH VOL 1 - Archive - 06 - Telephone.mp3
FSOL - SM Vol2 - SMOKIN FISH VOL2 - 09 - Tif Feetall.mp3

Let the ramblings begin :D
Trigga Bo
Tingler

Post by Trigga Bo »

:!: fsolish 8-)
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Haha wow, so that's where they all came from. Cheers for the info!

Smoking Fish was an early FTA template - early 2002s, I think the cover art can be seen in the Artworks booklet - although I don't think there were ever serious plans to release it at the time. What's 'Lost Transmission', by the way? Don't recall seeing that one in the versions on Soulseek.

warpy - glad you're finding the blog interesting!
Trigga Bo
Tingler

Post by Trigga Bo »

fsolish
Hardhead

Post by fsolish »

Ross wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:05 pm
What's 'Lost Transmission', by the way? Don't recall seeing that one in the versions on Soulseek.
Lost Transmission is just a shorter (cut) version of The Teeth of The Wind from Archives 3.

Excellent work on the Fractional Difference by the way Ross, really enjoy reading it !