Environment 7 trilogy

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
cascade
Hardhead

Re: A Space of Partial Illumination e7.002 out October 2022

Post by cascade »

environments 6 = duology
environments 7 = trilogy
environments 8 = tetralogy?

just wondering
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

First listen here. It's a good one again obviously though further listens are required. Not far from Rituals imo, same ingredients, heavy textured ambiences, IDM, with some amorphous leaning stuff on one or two tracks. Nice stuff.
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

cascade wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:35 pm environments 6 = duology
The Environmental section of Archived : Environmental : Views is considered part of E6, so it’s also a trilogy. Wondering if they’ll all be trilogies from herein. Although what it actually means at this point is pretty vague.
cascade wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:26 pm way more emotional than e.7001 in my opinion. makes me wonder what direction theyll take for e7.003
The two tracks played on the bonus mix from the last Touched Music night are very melodic and very weird.
cascade
Hardhead

Post by cascade »

Ross wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:25 pm The Environmental section of Archived : Environmental : Views is considered part of E6, so it’s also a trilogy
:o
haven't listened to aev yet. maybe i should give it a go
The two tracks played on the bonus mix from the last Touched Music night are very melodic and very weird.
any recordings of the show available? i must have missed it.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Oh, you should definitely give AEV a go! The Archived and Environmental discs are a bit weird with a mix of old and new material, but the Environmental disc is a complete new album. I mostly listen to the CD version which has no previously released material on it. It's similar to the other parts of Six but has its own vibe.

Here's the 30 minute warm-up soundscape and 20 minute bonus mix: https://we.tl/t-5jrt163bV3
The 7.03 tracks are the first and last of the bonus mix. First is 303s and hip-hop drums (the weird one), the last is all dreamy synth arps (the melodic one).
cascade
Hardhead

Post by cascade »

Ross wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:56 pm Oh, you should definitely give AEV a go! The Archived and Environmental discs are a bit weird with a mix of old and new material, but the Environmental disc is a complete new album. I mostly listen to the CD version which has no previously released material on it. It's similar to the other parts of Six but has its own vibe.

Here's the 30 minute warm-up soundscape and 20 minute bonus mix: https://we.tl/t-5jrt163bV3
The 7.03 tracks are the first and last of the bonus mix. First is 303s and hip-hop drums (the weird one), the last is all dreamy synth arps (the melodic one).
thanks!
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Whoa, the album is currently #3 in all of Bandcamp and #1 in all Electronic music. That's great to see!
sigESANg5 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:10 pm
mcbpete wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:54 am
Ross wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:29 am Apparently this was the number one selling CD on the whole of Bandcamp yesterday.
Woah that's great. Well done boys !
Well done indeed! Feelings of next level ISDN transmission came over me as I listened to 'A Space of Partial Illumination E7.002' proper last night! fuckin' brilliant !!!
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

"How Forests Think" is 1 hell of a weird track, not sure if I like it.
Magnificient Insignificance
nanio tine
Hardhead

Post by nanio tine »

quite a few listens now, its definitely an improvement on the past few releases but still feels quite generic and anonymous in places. a track like intents and purpose sounds like the sort of thing any idm producer, professional or not, could have made in the last 20 years. how forests think and exists to remove doubt are probably the worst here, really pointless music with no personality or originality. embodied cognition, all this has happened before and Sophies path are all amazing but they're the only pieces here that can really compare to the bands 90s material or the first few environments.
Trigga Bo
Tingler

Post by Trigga Bo »

the darkness consumes me 'If That Were To Occur' / 'Informal Horizon' / 'A Stationary Air Mass'
Ross

Post by Ross »

nanio tine wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:17 pm quite a few listens now, its definitely an improvement on the past few releases but still feels quite generic and anonymous in places. a track like intents and purpose sounds like the sort of thing any idm producer, professional or not, could have made in the last 20 years. how forests think and exists to remove doubt are probably the worst here, really pointless music with no personality or originality. embodied cognition, all this has happened before and Sophies path are all amazing but they're the only pieces here that can really compare to the bands 90s material or the first few environments.
Yeah, I think FSOL isn't in organic ambient mode at the moment. The run between Envi 2 and Life in Moments (+Views) has all shades of ambient, modern classical and proggy/psych stuff, so it's not that surprising that there's been a change of direction. Obviously if you're less IDM oriented, it'll be less appealing, but similarly some people weren't as fond of the earlier Environments for leaning too heavily on Amorphous sounds or not having enough beats. I'm sure we'll get another big epic melodic FSOL album again at some point, I'm always happy to follow a musician's creativity wherever it leads them, even if there are occasionally records that aren't quite so much to my taste.
Trigga Bo
Tingler

Post by Trigga Bo »

listened again (Tripletone/Bugbeats) good music https://music.apple.com/gb/artist/tripletone/1096278481
fsolish
Hardhead

Post by fsolish »

http://groove-musicsearch-v2-sv5.godd.j ... ack/197827

Click on Other version and you'll find..well..other versions :D
Trigga Bo
Tingler

Post by Trigga Bo »

Thanks fsolish The whole compilation (The Research Remixed) resembles Ai (Audio Intelligence 'Paradigmension') no wonder they were released around the same time, The Research (very minimalistic, poor in sound), Bugbeats Remixes (Robin Appleton/Will White/Brian Dougans/Garry Cobain). In my collection there are 'Emota (Bugbeats Remix Fullversion)' & 'Emota (Bugbeats Remix Underscore)' and other tracks from the compilation, from Chicago Music Library... how many good compositions do FSOL, Amorphous Androgynous, Humanoid & Yage and other projects have in libraries, and still not officially released on albums :roll: https://www.extrememusic.com/search?que ... %20DOUGANS
Ross

Post by Ross »

There’s some stuff from those Bugbeats / Ai sets that I like, but a lot of it feels quite broad and commercial sounding. I suppose some of it will have been composed with TV use in mind so that makes sense. Is Morning Mist on there too? That’s one that would make a great FSOL track, was it played on a Touched mix at some point?

CD came today. It’s a simple four page fold out booklet, the most minimal art on a ‘proper’ FSOL album since the first pressing on Accelerator. Further AI generated pictures of psychedelic looking pipes. There’s no mention of E7.02 on the spine and rear at all, making the environments series feel even less important.