Kraftwerk

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
seedy
Antique Toy

Re: Kraftwerk

Post by seedy »

ha wow that's a lot
i'm def going to use that as a guide and reminder to check certain names out that i've heard of

ok that wasn't YMOs last now i'm listening to "service"

kinda nervous lol
sounds like talking heads....but not as good =P

SO....i guess i'm ok with YMO through '81 maybe ;)
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Pandemonium wrote:House & Dance music after 1997-1998 is very very stupid and I don't like it at all.
& Depeche Mode - I HATE Depeche Mode - the most pointless electronic music EVER. :)
Flipping heck - controversial post :o

Haven't heard loads of Depeche Mode but this one that I caught on an Autechre DJ set is a flipping amazing track. It gives me real clear images of 1980s coming of age films -

Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

OK they have a few good moments, few good tracks, - heck they should have a few good tracks after 20 albums :)
But I am discusted by that 80s drum kicks & that horrible synth colors - I really hate & avoid that sound.
There is only one famous band that I dislike even more than Depeche Mode - and that is Duran Duran :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Pandemonium and 80s pop music - not a good mix.

Depeche Mode are ok, although nothing after their first album did that much for me really. For the slightly weirder end of synthpop I tend to prefer OMD. Started out as a Kraftwerk-inspired experimental group who went on to do one of the most beautiful atmospheric pop records ever, Architecture & Morality. Lots of mellotron on it, really dreamy and beautiful. And Dazzle Ships is a beautifully stark record.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

@Pandemonium: That list is quite - erm - voluminous.

OK, so maybe lets say when what was Chicago/Detroit House in the 80ies came to Europe at the end around 1988/89 and became what was called Acid House/Manchester Rave in the UK, it was later merged with the more experimental approach of 70ies acts like Kraftwerk, Cluster, Tangerine Dream and so on, and IDM/ambient techno appeared. Maybe this kind of way. And not to forget the influence of dub music and those early industrial acts like Cabaret Voltaire, 23Skiddoo, and so on a certain Mr. Dougans at least was obviously heavily influenced by...

Shit I´m kind of interested in how musical styles evolve and influence each other...

@Ross: 'Architecture&Morality' is the one with 'Maid of Orleans' on it right? Oh, sweet childhood memories...still the only song I know from them. Will give def give this one a listen next time...
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

That's the album, yeah. The whole thing is stunning.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

@Dennis: I think you still got it the wrong way - take a look at the list again - what artist comes from what country :)

Chicago/Detroit didn't invent house/techno, new genres are not invented, they are updated on older ones - so house did not came from US to UK to become rave and later to be merged with 70s experimental sound - as you say.

Here's what Wikipedia says:
In the early 1980s, Chicago club & radio DJs were playing various styles of dance music, including older disco records, newer Italo Disco, hip hop and electro funk tracks, as well as electronic pop music by Kraftwerk, Telex and Yellow Magic Orchestra, and recent danceable R&B productions in the genre now known as boogie. Some made and played their own edits of their favorite songs on reel-to-reel tape, and sometimes mixed in effects, drum machines, and other rhythmic electronic instrumentation.
Starting in 1984, some of these DJs, inspired by Jesse Saunders' success with "On and On", tried their hand at producing and releasing original compositions. These compositions used newly affordable electronic instruments to emulate not just Saunders' song, but the edited, enhanced styles of disco and other dance music they already favored. By 1985, although the exact origins of the term are debated, "house music" encompassed these locally produced recordings. Subgenres of house, including deep house and acid house, quickly emerged and gained traction. By 1986, UK labels were releasing house music.

So, to make the long list short:

1910s-1930s - Luigi Russolo, Leon Theremin (experimental noise, machines making music, classical music performed electronically)

1940s - Karlheinz Stockhausen, Pierre Schaeffer (classical experimental elecronic compositions, sampling techniques, recording)

1950s - Pierre Henry, Koenig, Ligeti, Barron, BBCRW, Ferrari - musique concrète ambience, sci-fi movies electro-blleps, tape music

1960s - Nono, Cage, Glass, Riley, Jarre - first appearance of US composers doing electronic works (Cage & Glass both picked it up in Paris)

1970s - Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Eno, Cluster, Throbbing Gristle, Moroder (birth of dance/disco) - electronic music, beats, krautrock, wallpaper ambient, industrial

1980s - Afrika Bambaataa, Juan Atkins, Coldcut, Renegade Soundwave, Aphex Twin, Humanoid, Fluke, 808 State - there are too much when we come to 1988, especially in UK.

PS - bonus - Jean Michel Jarre - Freedom Day / Synthetic Man (recorded 1970)

and lets not forget Oxygene (1976) - this album had influence on Beat music (deep house, ambient) just as much as Kraftwerks famous 70s albums.

You're doin' too much, do less.