What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by mcbpete »

If you're lucky you might be able to find a cheap copy in HMV - it's where I got mine anyway !
The Haze
Hardhead

Post by The Haze »

My local HMV is rubbish so I wont get my hopes up. I went in there the other day not been in there for ages, anyway the Dance and Electronic section is 1 little shelf on the corner and they had no FSOL no Aphex Twin no Autechre and that's just a few off the top of my head, there was plenty of other artists they didn't have either. So it's pretty awful really,now i remember why i haven't been in there for ages.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Yeah they're generally (what am I saying, they're always) terrible but that's why occasionally you can get lucky with an under priced album that used to take residency on the shelves there for many a year at some ridiculous 'HMV import' price.
The Haze
Hardhead

Post by The Haze »

I'll keep looking just in case. But yes, sometimes you get lucky with something underpriced. I remember some years back I was buying a Tosca album which was new at the time, it had a 12 pound sticker on it, I took it over to the cashier and he scanned it and then charged me 1 pound 50. That had to have been a mistake.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

HMV have recently upped their music stock, the one here has pretty much doubled their rock & pop section and lots of it looks as if it was stuff that's been hanging around in warehouses for years, so you might be in luck. But your best bet, realistically, is a used copy online. Both UK and Us versions are on my Discogs wishlist and I get at least one email a week saying someone's selling one.
The Haze
Hardhead

Post by The Haze »

With HMV i guess it depends what city u live in. Stores in bigger cities like London for example may still be ok, but the one where i live in Derby is very poor. It's like anything other than popular music is barely an afterthought. The one in Burton on trent is worse though and didn't even have a dance and electronic section last time i went there. I used to buy my music from an independent record store they sold some pretty good stuff and regularly had rare stuff, but it shut down years ago. :( As for KLF Chillout, looks like i'm going to have to buy a used copy and 20 quid is about as cheat as u can get it. The only problem i have with buying used discs is they're never in the condition they are advertised as. Like it'll say "Used very good" but when you get it it's scratched to pieces and keeps jumping when you play it.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Yeah, when I visit my girlfriend in Folkestone they only have a rock/pop section, no dance, urban or metal sections like the bigger stores. Even the one in Leicester is like that, so I'm not surprised the Derby one is the same. Surprisingly in Maidstone we have a relatively decent selection.

The big one in Birmingham is probably your best bet for rare stuff, right?
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

i haven't entered a store to purchase a CD in about oh......10 YEARS =()

personally i find amazon used to be great - only once out of many many used CDs did I ever run into one where the quality was considerably worse than described
Ross

Post by Ross »

Yeah, I've bought a shit load of stuff second hand from Amazon and Discogs and have never had an issue with the quality.
The Haze
Hardhead

Post by The Haze »

I'll try Amazon, most sellers let u return it if you're not satisfied i think. To be honest it was mainly games i had an issue with but they were dirt cheat and weren't even worth sending back to get a refund.
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

Earth - Like Gold And Faceted
Earth 2: Special Low Frequency Version (1993)

Late night droning.
This track is also the first thing I hear each day. I configured it in my alarm clock, a modified version that very slowly fades in by linearly increasing the volume level from absolute silence to full volume over 5 minutes. Lovely way to wake up :lol:
Ross wrote:Yeah, I've bought a shit load of stuff second hand from Amazon and Discogs and have never had an issue with the quality.
Me too, with cd's, but gotta be careful with vinyl. I've learned the hard way that the interpretations of "it still sounds (very) good/like new/mint" can vary greatly from person to person :evil:
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Kiasmos - Thrown (2012)
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't usually obsess over minimal techno but the ambient undertones, string swells, and kalimba melody make this piece something really special.
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

just discovered this from Sense and frickin enjoying it with a few puffs and a cup of tea.... :D

http://psychonavigation.bandcamp.com/al ... -macial-ep
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
Akkya
Expander

Post by Akkya »

Circulatory System - Circulatory System

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circulator ... 28album%29

Akkya
Expander

Post by Akkya »

The Haze wrote:Their album chillout is pretty hard to get hold of these days and very expensive when you do find a copy. I wish i'd bought it several years back when it was in HMV bargins for a fiver. :/
just in case you wanna grab a copy
I have it too and listen to it every few months

also some of its tracks are mixed into my Archived Transmission mix which I'll shamelessly plug here too

http://soundcloud.com/akkya/archived-transmission-vol-1

Various artists - including :

Future Sound of London
Akkya
Aphex Twin
B12
LuLu Rouge
Boards of Canada
John Murphy
Woodstock [audio]
Orbital
Pink Floyd