What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Dennis
Ill Flower

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Dennis »

Magma - K.A.& Emehntett Re - after 30 years they completed their album trilogy about alien races and egypt mythology with 2 albums consisting of one 50min song each. The sheer complexity and beauty of this music is simply breathtaking. It took me a bit to get into it, but it's definitely worth trying. I have totally fallen in love with this.
Magnificient Insignificance
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Will try some Magma later, their body of work is just pretty overwhelming.. gonna start with K.A.

Just listened to Have Landed by Woob. Not a big fan of the downtempo jazzy stuff, but the second half is almost purely ambient. Pretty good, will have to get into this more. Also have listened some Imogen Heap for the first time, pretty poppy and light, but I love it. Would be strange (and super interesting) if she made a bit more darker album because it seems that she's incapable of producing bad music in general.

Next up, dunno.. a project called The Silverman, by the guy who formed The Legendary Pink Dots back in the day with Ka-Spel.
from the source flows the endless...
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Lots of Motohiko Hirami. Recommended for people who like lovely piano music: http://soundcloud.com/motohikohirami
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

It's a "soundtrack" for some underground comic that I've never read.. contains stuff from Howie B. & Meat Beat Manifesto, rather some real modern dub on this. And it starts with a FSOL sample ;)
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

Quiet Village - Pillow Talk
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

bitersweet pipermint!
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
Ross

Post by Ross »

Tangerine Dream-esque Berlin School electronica often conjours up images of space and mystical stuff, so I find the contrast between the music and visuals here hilarious:

Nice enough piece though, Create is one of the better artists in the modern BS scene (although to be fair, 99% of this type of music for the last 20 years has just been people trying to do Stratosfear and Poland ad nauseum).
Also, a lot of respect for knocking stuff like that out just for a YouTube video.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Very beautiful piece, emotional and psychedelic. I find that despite the tremendous progression in technology, the majority of music being released or written nowadays is crap - music full of gimmicks with no soul or emotion, whether its rock or electronica. Was listening to Lifeforms the other day and was wondering to myself - 'what the fck are they doing??? where is this coming from?'. Well, what do you expect when the majority of electronica fans consider Skrillex as the best thing ever happened to music, i really cant get it. Even my beloved IDM style records like Merck or n5MD and other contemporary stuff dont sound the same, yes they are amazing but there is still a 'but', i dont know why.

These days have been listening to Nodens Ictus - Spacelines and i feel the same thing every time when i play this record, bloody chills down my spine, this is just incredible, supernatural. I just couldnt help launching my emulation of Korg MS-20 (even though it was not used on this record) and start experimenting with synthesis and weird sounds. I guess there is something special and extraordinary in certain things that make you feel something different from the rest. Image
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

The new Ceephax album Cro Magnox -

Erm I've finally updated the youtube code to play in widescreen being that 4x3 stopped being a thing about 10 years ago :lol:
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Ah 'Nodens Ictus', still have to get this one. They only made one album, right? I love the sounds and vibes Joie Hinton created on early Ozric's records, so I'm almost sure this one is for me. The only ozrics side project I had a listen to was some 'eat static' record that I didn't like very much, contemporary goa trance like stuff, if I remember correctly.
Magnificient Insignificance
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Officially this is their only album as a release, it actually contains live and studio tracks to form a cohesive album, but flows like a real album. And yes, this is a masterpiece and probably the most underrated ambient/electronica diamond in history of music from the most underrated ambient project, and this is not an exaggeration as these folks are real monsters of music. Those who are familiar with Ozric Tentacles know very well that these guys are not just musical experimentalists but are real musicians who are masters of their instruments. Joie Hinton is a God of synths and Ed Wynne who is a multi instrumentalist could stand easily next to Dave Gilmour, Robert Fripp, Steve Hillage or Joe Satriani. The most amazing thing about these people is that they are as humble as fkk and have no interest in promoting themselves but just to make music and be happy with it. I think this is the reason that they are so underrated, as they could easily write masterpieces in any of their jamming sessions.

This is highly recommended for FSOL fans as they have similar approach in sound, merging various musical elements, synths/samplers and field recordings to create a magnificent wall of sound, i think this is the reason i fell in love with them. The story is quite weird as I had no idea about their existence, nor was I a huge Ozrics fan. It was more than 10 years ago, when me and my bro went for shopping to Carrefour hypermarket, and there was a huge box full of various 'price' CDs for 1 euro if I remember right, maybe 2 I cant recall but the price was hilarious, it was mostly old releases. i dont even know how my bro managed to dig this out from a giant box of Cds, but he did thinking this was a trance/goa record. When we came home and put it to play he was disappointed but i couldnt pick up my jaw up off the floor and I was literally blown away, the rest is history.

Wynne, Hinton and Pepler who is the 3rd member, could easily write another historic masterpiece, but its not happening, probably for the same reason that BoC are not writing a new album (as FACT gave as a heart attack because of their idiotic April joke yesterday). But again, as with FSOL and ISDN transmissions, their music has been recorded live and people can witness the magic of these wizards: there is the "The Grove Of Selves" from 87 as their first introduction as a side project of Ozrics, many bootlegs like "Live At Club Dog", other live performances and "Joie Hinton - Friends of Nodens". Recently they decided to release their live stuff as "Live At The Pongmaster's Ball 2002" and 3 volumes of "Live 1989 - 91" with lots of magic goin on, and we deeply thank them for that. Sorry for such a huge text but these guys really deserve to spread a word about.

I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

dubmasta wrote:Officially this is their only album as a release, it actually contains live and studio tracks to form a cohesive album, but flows like a real album. And yes, this is a masterpiece and probably the most underrated ambient/electronica diamond in history of music from the most underrated ambient project, and this is not an exaggeration as these folks are real monsters of music. Those who are familiar with Ozric Tentacles know very well that these guys are not just musical experimentalists but are real musicians who are masters of their instruments. Joie Hinton is a God of synths and Ed Wynne who is a multi instrumentalist could stand easily next to Dave Gilmour, Robert Fripp, Steve Hillage or Joe Satriani. The most amazing thing about these people is that they are as humble as fkk and have no interest in promoting themselves but just to make music and be happy with it. I think this is the reason that they are so underrated, as they could easily write masterpieces in any of their jamming sessions.

This is highly recommended for FSOL fans as they have similar approach in sound, merging various musical elements, synths/samplers and field recordings to create a magnificent wall of sound, i think this is the reason i fell in love with them. The story is quite weird as I had no idea about their existence, nor was I a huge Ozrics fan. It was more than 10 years ago, when me and my bro went for shopping to Carrefour hypermarket, and there was a huge box full of various 'price' CDs for 1 euro if I remember right, maybe 2 I cant recall but the price was hilarious, it was mostly old releases. i dont even know how my bro managed to dig this out from a giant box of Cds, but he did thinking this was a trance/goa record. When we came home and put it to play he was disappointed but i couldnt pick up my jaw up off the floor and I was literally blown away, the rest is history.

Wynne, Hinton and Pepler who is the 3rd member, could easily write another historic masterpiece, but its not happening, probably for the same reason that BoC are not writing a new album (as FACT gave as a heart attack because of their idiotic April joke yesterday). But again, as with FSOL and ISDN transmissions, their music has been recorded live and people can witness the magic of these wizards: there is the "The Grove Of Selves" from 87 as their first introduction as a side project of Ozrics, many bootlegs like "Live At Club Dog", other live performances and "Joie Hinton - Friends of Nodens". Recently they decided to release their live stuff as "Live At The Pongmaster's Ball 2002" and 3 volumes of "Live 1989 - 91" with lots of magic goin on, and we deeply thank them for that. Sorry for such a huge text but these guys really deserve to spread a word about.

Ozric are Masters of Mixed very diferent styles as rock metal,psicodelia hippie bits and tribal ethno sounds,thanks to they i was listened on radio(by a very Ozric /metal) fanatic Radio program in 1994 firts sounds of "Lifeforms" when i still feel like a grunge/indie listener and less electronic,and my world change since this moment... i was listened before to Fsol,Humanoid,Orb etc etc ... but ....LIFEFORMS was a stop and change the tape on my side....
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
Ross

Post by Ross »

Today I have been on an 80s TD kick... Poland, Tangram, Exit, Hyperborea. Lovely.
Akkya
Expander

Post by Akkya »

today I have been listening to

Akkya - Terminal Radio Mix 6 - (The Psychedelic Development of Our Unified Conciousness)
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Most of my friends love Ozric to death, I've never gotten into them THAT much except for "Waterfall Cities" which is a kickass album. I've also seen them live once, they played like 2½ hours. They're pretty "light" and in a way, traditional prog/fusion. Maybe I'm more into a bit darker stuff and I love occasional speech/vocal samples etc.

Latetly listened to:

Some rare Meat Beat Manifesto singles & remixes
ZWAN live recordings (Billy Corgan)
Hed Kandi Winter Chill compilations (which have some awesome poppy trip-hop/downbeat tracks)
Akasha - Cinematique remixes (was just OK, nothing special)

Very diverse, poppy stuff