Boards of Canada

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
darktrain
Tingler

Boards of Canada

Post by darktrain »

So they have finally announced a new album after 8 years..Tomorrow's harvest is out on 10th june 2013...17 tracks...after fsol boards are my 2nd favourite band and the news of a new album has made me very happy especially after thinking they would never release anything again...just wondered how other people feel about them?
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Re: new boards of canada lp

Post by dubmasta »

go to http://www.boardsofcanada.com/ and input the password 699742628315717228936557813386519225 to watch the video
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Yeah, this news made me very excited as it doesn't seem to be another bad joke again...

I like almost everything they did, they're among my favourite electronic music artists. I myself gave up hope after all those years they will come up with new material, so maybe there is also hope with Mr. R.D. James, who knows...
Magnificient Insignificance
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

ha!

was wondering what took this thread so long :mrgreen:

ps - fans of BoC should check out Tycho
very similar sound....borderline ripoff if i must say but i still like his stuff
darktrain
Tingler

Post by darktrain »

the only downer is bleep.com is down and has been all night and i need to pre-order!!

yeah i like some of tycho's stuff..it is a bit too close to the boards sound
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Tychos "Dive" is great, kind of an easy listening version of boc, more the bright and shiny 'folktronic' side of things.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Just for a bit of balance (you did ask), I'd say Music is Math is the only track I like by them. Generally their beats bore me and the melodies fail to move me at all. Never understood why anybody liked them, let alone loved. Compared to the complexity and depth of FSOL, the stark foreboding of Autechre, etc. they always just seemed very simplistic and amateur.
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

There is a mystery about why people love BoC so much, and i must admit Im one of them. Love Tycho, used to listen a lot to his music back then when there was only IDM on my player. Another album that might be considered as a BoC ripoff but it still a very honest work, and I love this release is Ciaran Byrne ‎– Galtrim from Psychonavigation Records, havent listened to it for ages but probably will play it tomorrow after the BoC news.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I agree with Ross, but his statement is a bit too harsh :)
I'd say they are OK, I've listened the albums... about 5-6 times a piece... but they didn't have my interest in the long run...
You're doin' too much, do less.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Hm, I definitely think there's a kind of a certain magic in boc's music, that almost struck me immediately from the very first listen of 'music has...' & 'geogaddi'. I came across them quite late in 2004, and liked it instantly more than almost every ae record from around that time. Those hazy, washed out sounds and melodies create an utterly distinctive atmosphere of strangely nostalgic feelings of forgotten childhood memories or something. I know that this became quite popular among electronic music makers since then, with the whole hauntology/ghost box hype kind of thing, but boc still are quite unique/the reference for such sound.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

They are easily one of the most overhyped electronic acts by far. None of the albums are really that good IMO, the EPs on the otherhand are brilliant (A Beautiful Place.. & Trans Canada Highway). The "interludes" and other weird short pieces are some of their best work. I hope the new albums takes the TCH route, so I'm actually looking forward to this.

But not many artists can say that they can publish a 2 minute piece of samples and some talking and it will sell for several hundred bucks on eBay (or who knows how high the price will rise).

EDIT: Several hundred bucks my ass.. check this out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boards-of-Canad ... 4172eb6d8a
from the source flows the endless...
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Yeah, many times they have been considered overhyped and overestimated. I can say that i fell in love with them instantly the first time i listened to Twoism, definitely my most favorite electronica band after FSOL. I find there is some distorted romance in their music, something really wicked, but emotional and dreamy at the same time, a detuned reality. I guess its natural that many dont like them.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

yep i'm another that finds them "good" but not earth shattering

much of it sounds the same to me....pretty simple and laid back

look around though and peeps are just insano about them.

that ebay auction is UN phucking real
darktrain
Tingler

Post by darktrain »

i like boards for many different reasons but i suppose the main reason is the feeling of nostalgia they convey...there's a happy side to them but also a darker undertone running through their tracks.I have to agree that the shorter tracks tend to have the better ideas(just wish they were longer!)one of the reasons they attract so much fandom is that they are pretty mysterious,keep themselves to themselves,barely play live and are very enigmatic..its a great way of building up an image of a band especially when there is so little to go on..i think they went too acoustic on campfire headphase and am hoping they return to the geogaddi style era..whichever way they go im just happy they have returned after 8 years away.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

The thing is, the whole otherworldly melodies and nostalgic sound is exactly what I look for in music, and I don't get it at all from BoC, honestly never understood why people get this childhood thing from them. Other than maybe it sounds like kids made it (or is that being too harsh? :D )