What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Tito Lozano »

Namlook made million albums and still wait for a more quality and more something for the new Moby album,for example.

i prefer no mix art with sales

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_music

http://everything2.com/title/Why+underg ... cial+music

Only opinions,each pick your way
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

I do really dislike the way the commercial end of things seems to be heavy on long gaps these days - back in the '90s, it was almost expected that artists put out an album every year, I remember huge 'comeback' albums by Oasis and the Manics in the late '90s after they'd been away for two years. These days 3, 4, 5 years seem to be the norm, which makes no sense.

It's difficult. I think some artists, especially those working in more experimental/improvisational ends, do come up with enough content to put out several records a year, whilst others who make more, erm, 'crafted' music might work better around the album-a-year rate.

I've found it's best to concentrate on a smaller number of artists/labels/review sites for finding music these days, rather than trying to take it all in. I've discovered an extraordinary amount of music from acloserlisten.com and the Fangs and Arrows forum, and from these I've found a handful of artists and labels I follow too. That's more than enough for me to take in on top of the other stuff I already know of.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

ha i've always thought along a similar line

although there is no direct correlation between quality and quantity i think it is often a factor.
basically i think the rule applies more often than not but as we all know there are always exceptions

it's weird for me to think about because it causes me to question some of the music i really like.
the thought is.....well if that person took more time to digest and polish this music....it likely would be that much better.
i just feel a sense of haste when thinking about so much music being churned out. as if these tunes are "good enough to move on with" rather than "the best they can possibly be"

i can't knock things one way or the other and the strawman argument is just that.

but either way it's interesting to observe and think about
Ross

Post by Ross »

I think it depends on the intent of the artist/release. A lot of tapes I buy are on the improvised, lofi end of things, and these work as sort of... documents of what was made rather than huge defining lasting statement. Different releases have different purposes.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Has some very good but also some pretty horrible tracks (especially towards the end, which is never a good thing). Mind Mischief totally the best song here. Incredibly hype they're getting..
from the source flows the endless...
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Ah yes, this is another example of those typical pitchfork-hype bands that I quite like, good warped, 'out of space'-production work by Dave Fridmann, whose productions I´m always quite keen on, he often totally nails that typical psychedelic sound with lots of shimmering details to be discovered via intense headphone-sessions. I´m also quite curious about the new MGMT record...

But back to more common ground:

The Irresistible Force - "Flying High" (1992)

I was so lucky to finally get an original copy of it at a fair price via some US-trader - this one is just classic. This is definitely on par with all the classic 'ambient house' albums from that era to me. I´m tempted to ask something like: 'why is no one today making this kind of bubbling hallucinogenic sound anymore?' (But maybe there is, and I´m just to lazy to find and work myself through all the correct blogs & forums... :) )
Magnificient Insignificance
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
Ross

Post by Ross »

Off Land - Tidewater Pulse
haze
Hardhead

Post by haze »

Currently listening to Tim Hecker : Ravedeath, 1972 (proper lovely album imo)

After that I'll be sticking on Node : Node (if you don't have, you really should!)
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

Been listening the new Ulver, titled "Messe I.X-VI.X" pretty much non-stop since its release a few weeks back. Album of the year 2013 for sure.

But now, being in the mood for some gangsta-rap: Scarface - No Tears :D
darktrain
Tingler

Post by darktrain »

new album from laura veirs - warp and weft been a fan for years finally get to see her live in november in manchester

irresitible force - flying high classic ambient house

new goldfrapp album - change in direction to more acoustic sounds but still a great voice

asc - programme 01 ep - very 90's bola/gescom sounding electrofunk.

the green kingdom - dustloops memory fragments - delicate glitchy electronica
Ross

Post by Ross »

Siouxsie & the Banshees - Kaleidoscope
darktrain
Tingler

Post by darktrain »

just discovered for the first time Cabaret Voltaire's 'the conversation' really reminds of fsol in their use of sampling,rhythms and sounds...1st cd full of beats takes you on a journey and the 2nd more an ambient meandering composition..all in a ll a great discovery.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Porya Hatami - The Black Woodpecker
Part of the Birds of a Feather series of mini CDrs on Flaming Pines, all of which are really wonderful. A lovely ambient series.
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

Finis Africae - 1984 (prima Tavesia) & 1985 Un paseo por el parque

Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human