Sean of Autechre on FSOL

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: Sean of Autechre on FSOL

Post by Pandemonium »

I'm somewhere between 'farfromthesun' and Ross...
I agree with farfromthesun in a large part - I can't really compare FSOL/Ae with Orbital/Underworld - I mean I can, but not in a good way... :)

In other news - Karl Hyde & Brian Eno released a new album... a promo really, the album comes out in a week or something... It looks exciting, but I haven't heard it yet...
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Well yeah, Orbital and Underworld are always somewhat rooted in dance music, Ae much less so and FSOL barely at all for a long time. Truth is, they're different sorts of music really, labeling them simply 'electronic' probably didn't help in the first place... But really, Underworld are probably one of the most idiosyncratic groups I can think of, everything from the art, to the song titles, to a lot of the sounds they use, are entirely them and nobody else comes close.

The Hyde / Eno album is out Monday (although Norman Records stuck mine in the post today, apparently). It's very poppy, falls more in line with Eno's 80s production on Talking Heads and the like, with lots of African-style percussive rhythms, brass and so on. I was honestly expecting something like Eno's mix of Slummin' it for the Weekend off of Edgeland, but the two promo tracks so far are really big and melodic so it suits me down to the ground. It's definitely going to be a controversial opinion-splitter though!
Concept
Tingler

Post by Concept »

Cool, didn't know there was going to be a new Eno album.

Do any of you guys listen to Susumu Yokota? Sakura and Magic Thread are bliss.
Nmesh
Open Loop

Post by Nmesh »

Never forget.

Proceed with visual attack.
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

I thought Oversteps was a return to form, but yeah they're rubbish now.
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
Ross

Post by Ross »

Eno / Hyde came in the post today. Very much a mix of Karl's solo album, Eno's early pop records and hints of My Life in the Bush of Ghosts. A very strange pop record. Not at all Underworldy though.

In the artwork there are photos of the studio, and on one white board is written "I think of the '80s as a time I chose to forget" - which might tie in very nicely with the Underneath the Radar video up there :D
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Ross wrote:"I think of the '80s as a time I chose to forget"

This might very well be my favorite sentence - it is exactly how I feel about the 80s :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

ronniedobbs wrote:I thought Oversteps was a return to form, but yeah they're rubbish now.
Whatcho talking aboot - Exai and L-Event are both bloody incredible !
Ross

Post by Ross »

Exai is the only album since Draft 7.30 I particularly like, other than the occasional track. Think I might have said that earlier in t'thread.