Aphex Twin - SYRO

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: Aphex Twin - SYRO

Post by Ross »

Yes, that makes sense, I remember seedy getting Orbital and Underworld mixed up (somehow, haha)

Eno / Hyde have done two albums by the way. I think the second would be much more up your street, seedy. The first is basically a pop album.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

OffLand wrote:I approve of this Aphex Twin thread going on strange tangents.
It´s what makes this forum special I guess :)
I love that.
Magnificient Insignificance
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

OffLand wrote:I think Seedy's talking about Eno/Hyde ???

indeed whoops

and yes....this is just another instance of lumping those two acts together despite knowing much better their differences these days ;p

i heard both of the albums and surely was able to enjoy one much more than the other.
the one i liked less i think had more vocals etc.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Yeah, High Life is more jam-based, Someday World is basically a slightly off-kilter vocal pop album.
Ross

Post by Ross »

So this is out a week after Environment Five. And a fortnight before the new Winged Victory for the Sullen. I DO NOT HAVE THE BRAINSPACE TO TAKE IN ALL THIS AMAZING NEW MUSIC IN THE SPACE OF A MONTH.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

A bit off topic here, but September is piling the new music on for me.
FSOL, Pineapple Thief, Mike Doughty and Irreversible all in the same WEEK (possibly the same day)!! Amplifier the week before and I'm pretty sure there are at least one or two others out that month that I want as well.
And then October has Bush, Slipknot, Lagwagon and Rosetta that I already know about, with no doubt more that I don't yet know about.
My brain might explode.
Jack Absorb.
Hardhead

Post by Jack Absorb. »

Ross wrote:Oh completely, it's a really depressing bandwagon-jumping track from a band who never went near bandwagons before. When jungle came along, Orbital's response was Are We Here?, which takes a jungle influence and does something completely new and exciting with it. Beelzedub is the first Orbital track that doesn't sound remotely like Orbital, because them intentionally trying to sound like somebody else. As a novelty live version of Satan (which is how it started) I have no problem with it, but it really shouldn't have been on the album. Even compare it to Distractions, which has the same dubstep and dnb influences as Beelzedub in the drums, but at least keeps them within an Orbital framework.
Well the original Satan was in part a parody of heavy metal and in part a satire of how rave music had become the latest victim of moral outrage. It wasn't too long after that uproar about the supposed hidden references to Satan in Stairway To Heaven. Paul Hartnoll joked in the inlay to the Work 1989-2001 compilation that they decided to do a track that you didn't have to play backwards to hear the Satanic references. And of course at that time acid house was causing a tabloid frenzy, just as heavy metal had been accused of corrupting kids a decade or two earlier. He said it was a "self-fulfilling prophecy" when they did the Satan Spawn remix with Metallica in '96.

Although Beelzedub is a bit naff, I kind-of took it to be a joke about how dubstep is the new heavy metal - both in how it became popular with alt rock fans (Skrillex, Korn doing a "dubstep album" etc.) and in how an awful lot of people absolutely hated and called it mindless noise even when teenagers were lapping up (Sabbath, for example, were famously panned by critics but hugely popular and influential with teenagers). And the "Beelzedub" pun is just too good to pass up. Humour has always been a big part of Orbital's career (Brown Album opens with an absolute barrage of pranks on the first-time listener, for example) and that does mean you have to tolerate the occasional joke track every now again. Even Snivilisation had Quality Seconds.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Although I wouldn't rule it out, but I have trouble believing that it is a joke - I remember at the time of recording the album they were really excited about the new version of the track. Still, as I said, as a novelty live track it doesn't bother me, it just seems a bit of a waste on a studio album. In the past, the humour has been incorporated into their music or, in the case of Time Becomes..., is just absurd. If this is kind of a "lol dubstep" thing, it's a bit of a poor joke. I think if 'Quality Seconds' was as long as 'Beelzedub' I'd probably hate it too!
I also struggle with the name, but that's probably because they'd already done 'Beelzebeat' in 2001.

Back in Syro world, the first 'single' is being premiered on BBC Six Music tomorrow evening.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

He's putting out a single with it eh?

Going back off topic wildly again, the Stairway to Heaven Satan reference is a truly weird anomaly. Playing it backwards it actually does say "Here's to my sweet satan". It also does that in the live recordings as well though, so it's a specific line of the song that just happens to sound like that that when played backwards. There's a website somewhere that has clips of it, I've not been playing stuff backwards for fun.

At the end of the day, as Bill Hicks succinctly put: "If you’re sitting ’round your house playing your albums backwards, you are Satan. You needn’t look any further. And don’t go ruining my stereo to prove a fucking point either."
I am the eye that looks within
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

not totally sure what that means

someone said he is releasing a SYRO single tonight?
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

It means the track " 'mini pops 67 [120.2][source field mix] " (aka 'The Manchester Track') will be playing on the radio tonight
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

oh right....shoulda checked the tracklisting on the first page

also....i don't speak twitter so i was handicapped to begin with =P
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Quality Seconds & Time Becomes... are PHENOMENAL pieces of music.
You're doin' too much, do less.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

this tune was just uploaded by warp

have at it!
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Mr D James certainly has an 'interesting' vocal style huh :D