Environment FIVE: out 8-Sep-2014

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
moxlox
Tingler

Re: Environment FIVE: out 8-Sep-2014

Post by moxlox »

No delivery yet. Hope it will be there tonight.
Repetition Is A Form Of Change
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

No LP for me today...
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Hmmm maybe I was actually quite lucky getting my CD yesterday...
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

My CD's are still in the processing mode on fsoldigital so I guess Graham hasnt posted them yet. But a friend who bought the album was kind enough to share it with me, so Ive already listened to it on replay like 5 times already.
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I've still only managed one listen so far and two for the EP. Will hopefully listen to both once each today though.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

ENVIRONMENT FIVE ladies and gents - hats down.
It will take a few more listens to fully appreciate it, but it's DAMN GOOD. I'm not sure how the new directions in those bright and jazzy forms will be accepted to the general FSOL fan, but I sure know most of the Board fans will love it. I'll get a proper review some day, for now just some quick thoughts... (I love how the titles and the tracks tell a story of... well... whatever happens after death...) - AND I LOVE THE EP!

01 Point of Departure - WELL, YOU DIED! - very weird but big track, I'd even say new age / jazzy mix...

02 Source of Uncertainty - YOU DON'T KNOW THAT YOU'RE DEAD YET - absolutely divine piano piece, probably the first one that can top Max.

03 Image of the Past - YOUR LIFE FLASHES BEFORE YOUR EYES - this one is a tricky one, has elements of ISDN (but brighter) and also The Cartel.

04 Beings of Light - YOU MEET THE 'ANGELS' - another beautiful ambient with Riz on vocals...

05 In Solitude We Are Least Alone - YOU REALIZE THAT YOU CAN ALSO PARTY IN THE AFTERLIFE - this kind of brightness in composition is very unusual for FSOL and probably a first one - obviously a Gaz piece. The last three minutes go proper-crazy - "what the fuck was that" - to quote the ending...

06 Viewed from Below the Surface - TAKING ANOTHER LOOK AT THE AFTERLIFE - a slow slow and looong look...

07 Multiples - OH YOU CAN DIE MULTIPLE TIMES... - is that a guitar??

08 Dying While Being Held - DYING WHILE BEING HELD (to retype the title) - another unusual bright piece (by Gaz no doubt) - this one will take a while to make way in my head... "I don't remember what happened to me..."

09 Machines of the Subconscious - YOUR BEING IS AFRAID OF DYING - and after the bright one, a proper FSOL darkness... that alarm-sounding effect through (almost) the whole track is fucking brilliant once you get a hang of it.

10 Dark and Lonely Waters - BEING LONELY IS A CHOICE (AND THERE'S NO RIGHT OR WRONG ANSWER) - wonderful melodic darkness... I must say I still like that darker FSOL more.

11 Somatosensory - YOUR BEING FINALLY KNOWS EXACTLY WHERE IT IS AND IT HAS MIXED FEELINGS - going from ambient to IDM multiple times, brilliant, and the background if full of wonders...

12 The Dust Settles - THE DUST SETTLES, IT'S OVER, YOU CROSSED TO THE OTHER PLAIN OF EXISTENCE - and the other plain is jazzy - YES - I like this one more and more.

13 Moments of Isolation - WHEN YOU IS ALL YOU NEED - an epic ending, again very freeform and very jazzy structures.

BONUS EP

01 Electric Brain Storm - "created using the SYNTHI RANGE by EMS ……………………………...…….. ELECTRIC BRAIN STORM ( 9 )" - this is written in the tag of the track. What to say, I literally fell in love with this track from the first listen. I want a whole album of these...

02 The Final Inner Breath - Was it too dark for the album? Absolutely loving this one too! HOLY SHIT, this track is amazing - try a LOUD listen in the dark!

03 HereAfter - Another unfit for album duty? It's not even that much dark. A really good ride of complex beats and textures.
You're doin' too much, do less.
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

Ross wrote:No LP for me today...
I haven't received word that mine shipped out yet. The order status is still "processing" so I doubt it'll get here anytime soon :(
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

dang i still haven't even ordered yet
might have to wait a little bit
money n such :(
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

01 Electric Brain Storm - "created using the SYNTHI RANGE by EMS ……………………………...…….. ELECTRIC BRAIN STORM ( 9 )" - this is written in the tag of the track. What to say, I literally fell in love with this track from the first listen. I want a whole album of these...
Oh, didn´t notice the tag, so it´s a newer track? I was quite sure the ep-tracks date back to the 90ies with all the Dead Cities vibe and the yage-didgeridoo on the second one. The first one almost reminds of 'Icunabula'-era Autechre. I could imagine a lot of people who are not well with the new FSOL-sound with all the amorphous-vibes going on and all the sax´n violins thing would want a proper new FSOL album rather sound like those ep-tracks.
Magnificient Insignificance
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Well, if the '9' is any indication, that track is new and made for the EBS 9 mix :)

And I think all of them are new.
You're doin' too much, do less.
moxlox
Tingler

Post by moxlox »

Still 'processing' on Wednesday. I ordered CD and vinyl. Any one got the vinyl, may be that hasn't been pressed yet?
Repetition Is A Form Of Change
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

MIne still said "processing" on Monday morning, but it showed up on Monday anyway.

And a previous order of mine from months ago for the Cartel albums STILL says processing, even though I obviously received them ages ago! So I'd say not to worry too much if the website still says processing ;)
Ross

Post by Ross »

It's available on Amazon so I'd say the vinyl has been pressed...
Ross

Post by Ross »

Nothing in the post again today... sigh.
Jack Absorb.
Hardhead

Post by Jack Absorb. »

Mine arrived in the post today. I got a "Your order is complete" email last night. Can't wait to listen.