Record Store Day 2023 - Tales of Ephidrina and Life in Moments expanded reissues

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: Record Store Day 2023 - Tales of Ephidrina and Life in Moments expanded reissues

Post by Ross »

Ephidrina is out there, not sure if Bandcamp will have it but if it does I'd imagine they'll have to grab any remaining copies from the label so it might not be yet. Given RSD's general focus on vinyl, I'd imagine there'll be plenty of CDs to purchase for a reasonable price, though.

And yes, it's on Bandcamp now. CD and digital are available, the remaining vinyl copies (looks like they had 90 copies) sold out pretty fast.
tengram
Hardhead

Re: Record Store Day 2023 - Tales of Ephidrina and Life in Moments expanded reissues

Post by tengram »

Indeed. I'm in the US--email came through here in the middle of the night. Woke up this morning, and the LPs were already all gone.
adreamingandroid
Hardhead

Post by adreamingandroid »

Got both reissues on CD on order. Whilst I do have the first issue of Life in Moments, I couldn't turn down the chance of more material thanks to the expanded issue. Also because I no longer collect vinyl I do not run the risk of seeing the sold out label on items.

Saw one of the reissues on Ebay yesterday with an asking price of £300, just insane
tengram
Hardhead

Post by tengram »

adreamingandroid wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:20 am
Saw one of the reissues on Ebay yesterday with an asking price of £300, just insane
But is anyone actually paying that much for it? Sellers can ask all they want...
adreamingandroid
Hardhead

Post by adreamingandroid »

But is anyone actually paying that much for it? Sellers can ask all they want...

I wouldn't be tempted for various reasons. There were others on there but not for anywhere near that amount, if I recall there was a copy with an asking price of £60.
I grabbed a .wav version whilst I await for the CD to arrive, artwork is a bit lacking in my opinion, just one image, I was hoping for more.
Really looking forward to hearing the remaster of Ephidrina though.
nanio tine
Hardhead

Post by nanio tine »

mixed feelings on this - fresseline sounds like amorphous and doesn't really fit even on that album, the others are nice tho. the alt swab is annoying, mountain path is now released as both fsol and aa which is confusing. here's hoping virgin decide they want to do expanded versions of other albums though, I imagine there's some nice alt mixes of 94-96 tracks.
soop
Hardhead

Post by soop »

Still looking to nab the new Ephidrina CD… Any advice on where to look?
Neil
Hardhead

Post by Neil »

soop wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 3:16 am Still looking to nab the new Ephidrina CD… Any advice on where to look?
Try Action Records in Preston, or Assai Records. They both do online orders and delivery. Looks like they might have a copy left each on CD and some vinyl.

https://www.actionrecords.co.uk/buy/tal ... 669485.htm

https://assai.co.uk/products/amorphous- ... 3fbf&_ss=r
Ross

Post by Ross »

Copies on the FSOL Bandcamp this week.
Blu Mar Ten
Hardhead

Post by Blu Mar Ten »

Tales of Ephidrina is still an extraordinary LP. It really hasn't aged at all.
tengram
Hardhead

Post by tengram »

If anyone is still looking for a copy of Tales in LP at retail price, Soul Brother has a copy:

https://soulbrother.com/shop/tales-of-ephidrina/
sigESANg5
Tingler

Post by sigESANg5 »

Now available in the FSOLdigital bandcamp, and t-shirts! glad they have size small available.

https://fsol.bandcamp.com
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Ross - Do you know if the Ephidrina remastering by Matt Colton was done by just re-tweaking the '93 CD version or did the boys supply them with higher quality original sources (presumably Baz's big box of DATs :D )? I notice there's also a 24 bit version (way beyond my terrible ears) on 7digital so am curious if 7digital have just done a naughty upscaling of the 16bit CD or they actually did have that high a bit-rate source from Universal/Virgin ....
Ross

Post by Ross »

I can double check but I would imagine it was remastered from source. Given that Brian sought out the bonus tracks it’s likely they were sent over with the original album.
tengram
Hardhead

Post by tengram »

I don't have the digital files for the RSD 2023 remaster, and I don't have the original Quigley vinyl, so this comparison is not fully apples to apples, but...

comparing my original 1993 Astralwerks/Caroline (US Pressing) copy of the CD with the vinyl of the 2023 remix, it sounds like a fresh remaster to my ears, rather than just a re-tweak