What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Pandemonium »

Tito Lozano wrote:Fleedwood mac - albatross
Fucking classic!
You're doin' too much, do less.
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

FSOL - An End Of Sorts

Easily one of my top5 favorite FSOL tracks. I don't understand why it's not on the reissue! :evil: That part where they combined all the different percussions is epic.

This track has Lifeforms written all over it, might as well have replaced one of the weaker ones on the album (minus the jazzy outro of course).
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

They obviously liked the track too - it turns up as Cascade Pt 5 and Environments Pt 2. And yeah, I much prefer it to Snake Hips.

np Zola Jesus - Stridulum II
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Snake Hips is MENTAL. Absolutely love that track. Makes my mind wandering around somewhere in the twilight of a big metropolis in the far east with with some strange horns or elephants trumpeting into my brain... :)

But yeah "An End.." is great too, never noticed that it´s the same synth like on Cascade EP and Environments part2. Would like to see it come up on some future archive CD!
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross

Post by Ross »

Never been such a fan of the, er, 'funkier' end of the ISDN material like Snake Hips - not massively my kind of thing.

Currently listening to the Lifeforms EP. Probably one of my least listened to FSOL records. I'm sure it'll sink in one day...
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

dear goodness snake hips is awesome!
lol ross just when i think i finally have you figured out musically you throw another one at me ;)

anyhoo....right now listening to Michael Stearns for the first time - album is Planetary Unfolding
So far this is nice......celestial sounds n such

anyone listen to this dude?
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Dennis wrote:But yeah "An End.." is great too, never noticed that it´s the same synth like on Cascade EP and Environments part2. Would like to see it come up on some future archive CD!
Am I the only one who listens to the black version of ISDN then, rather than the white one? I just listen to the three different tracks on the white one by themselves sometimes, but when I want to listen to ISDN, I pop in the black version :)
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

@seedy: Two big fat thumbs up to Planetary Unfolding!!!! So hard to find (I still don't have a legit copy..). This album showed to me how powerful ambient music can really be. I'm not a big fan of most of his other work though.

@epitome: For me it's the other way. But I prefer the black version, only for the last track :-)
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Michael Stearns.. Sorcerer and Kiva (kinda part of the same series) are great and maddening, especially Kiva. The Storm has a few good tracks and is part of the series.

Robert Rich and Michael Stearns and a few of my favorite traditional ambient artists, recommended especially if you're into ISDN era and fields recording etc.
from the source flows the endless...
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

ok great i'll be sure to check those two albums next.
yeah robert rich i've heard 2 albums thus far and thought they were quite good

epitome......you are simple said, my clone! or i'm a clone of you whatever.
i only have a full version of the black ISDN.....and have the unique white version tracks on a different disc with some other random stuff

get on that NODEN ICTUS recommendation dude.....since we're the same person i KNOW you'll love it! :P
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

From Robert Rich I prefer the stuff with no drums, not a fan of the tribal drumming..

"Music From Atlas Dei" is great, great ambient. "Below Zero" is also some of his best work IMO (and probably the darkest).

Lately been listening to the Björk remixes and less known stuff from her EPs, absolutely love 'em.. especially stuff from 1993 to 1999.
Ross

Post by Ross »

seedy wrote:dear goodness snake hips is awesome!
lol ross just when i think i finally have you figured out musically you throw another one at me ;)
Ah really? I suppose I've always gone for melody first rather than rhythm/groove - which I think is where a lot of our differences lie.

I bought replacement white ISDN earlier this year as my original copy was scratched. First time I've listened to it sinceI bought my black copy 12 years ago. Superior.version for me.

np The Dukes of Stratosphear - 25 O'Clock
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

tryptych wrote:From Robert Rich I prefer the stuff with no drums, not a fan of the tribal drumming..

"Music From Atlas Dei" is great, great ambient. "Below Zero" is also some of his best work IMO (and probably the darkest).

Lately been listening to the Björk remixes and less known stuff from her EPs, absolutely love 'em.. especially stuff from 1993 to 1999.

i like me some tribal drumming so we'll see how that goes when i reach that far. yes, atlas dei is a nice listen - this is one of the two i've heard thus far (the other being echo of small things). video for atlas dei is pretty cool too!
ok so below zero will be on my radar in the near future

bjork is a weird one.....i've never been turned off by her strange vocals and have understood her music to have some quality electronic elements to it. i just never really gave her a legit listen. i know very little of her music.
what would be a top electronic recommendation from her catalog?

ross - ah yeah.....melody vs. groove. surely does make sense when i think about the music you've commented about over the years!
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Homogenic for sure.. and Telegram (remixes). The double-issue singles are absolutely gorgeous and full of great remixes. She has a pretty massive body of work when you start to look into it.

Right now, listening to ISDN New York '97.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

seedy wrote:ok great i'll be sure to check those two albums next.
yeah robert rich i've heard 2 albums thus far and thought they were quite good

epitome......you are simple said, my clone! or i'm a clone of you whatever.
i only have a full version of the black ISDN.....and have the unique white version tracks on a different disc with some other random stuff

get on that NODEN ICTUS recommendation dude.....since we're the same person i KNOW you'll love it! :P
Haha, I'll try and check it out soon!
seedy wrote:i like me some tribal drumming so we'll see how that goes when i reach that far.
You won't be surprised to know that I love tribal drumming. Mixing tribal stuff with synthy electronics is almost perfection to me :twisted: