What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Ross »

Ah yes, shredding, that works.

I suppose it just sounds a bit too rehearsed to my ears - it's so flawless that it doesn't seem to exist in the moment. I prefer solos that are more 'individual' maybe - I also value subtlety, which definitely doesn't come into play there! Also, I've never met someone who could play like that who wasn't super-super arrogant.

It's actually your point about genre that comes across most here, however - I really don't understand how that kind of playing fits a melancholy electronic / ambient record about a man meditating after losing his wife in an atomic bomb blast.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Ha ha, I agree it doesn't lend itself much to the concept of meditation. I think he's actually a guitar teacher which speaks volumes. He does tend to go at 900 mph whenever he lets a solo fly. He's actually fairly melodic compared to the likes of Yngwie Malmsteen who friends at school used to get worked up over in the eighties. I've read stories of Edgar being spotted at Joe Satriani gigs occasionally so it's a not entirely unexpected progression from the Zlatko's of the '90s.

Guitarists can be pricks at the best of times, I've been playing for over 20 years and have encountered both ends of the scale: the shredder nazis and those who castigate you for actually trying to practice a bit. The trick is doing what suits/interests you and not being a huge anus about it to others.
I am the eye that looks within
Ross

Post by Ross »

Mm, yes. I suppose in some ways the style seems so odd given that when TD formed, Edgar was big on the idea of forgetting any kind of formal training. I love that exploratory krautrock style. I suppose it had already begun to go out of the window with Force Majeure, but it still seems a bit strange.

Just listened to Winter in Hiroshima. Probably won't be doing that again.
Ross

Post by Ross »

The Endless Season. All the momentum from 2005 is lost by now. What is this Edgar? Why did you do it?
Ah well, that's the seasons worked through. Back to the chronology with Views From a Red Train next. After that I'll see how I feel about doing Chandra and the Sonic Poems.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I think what happened broadly is he got ill. They never really specified what it was but his output tailed off around about 2009/10 and he visibly aged and lost weight. He passed it off as saying he'd been exercising on doctor's orders, but a recent interview with Film Producer William Friedkin said he'd been ill for a long time before he died.

Endless Season was the highpoint of 2010 when you consider the other studio output was Under Cover - with the ominous suffix "Chapter One" implying he was threatening a follow up...
I am the eye that looks within
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

dell1972 wrote:Under Cover - with the ominous suffix "Chapter One" implying he was threatening a follow up...

still gives me nightmares
Ross

Post by Ross »

Haha oh God, I listened to that one when it came out. I am not doing so again. At least it was intended to be somewhat light-hearted...

Not sure what to make of Views From a Red Train... I really appreciate the sound and energy of it after the tepid final parts to the Seasons, and the first and last tracks are great, but most of it seems to fall into the Edgar solo category of sequence-based tracks that just go on and on, each chord change heralded by that electronic-harpsichord-type sound he's been using since 1986, and never really resolving satisfactorily.

After Jeanne D'Arc and Springtime I really hoped I was in for a lot more treats, but it seems to be back to picking the occasional strong tracks from an otherwise uninteresting batch. Not surprising, really. Going to give them a break for a few days, then come back to Chandra next week maybe.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

going to take a vangelis journey

last tune the dude sings i think 4 notes of that blade runner tune that my kingdom samples

i guess vangelis had the melody in his head long before that soundtrack came out :)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

You're gonna have one hell of a journey Seedy :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

yes i'm ready!

like so many others my original impression was meh
just seemed too new agey too chariots of firey for me

but...i never give up on the supposed greats that easily and as you know i've come to really like a few releases thus far

i listened to that paris may 1968 album....the renamed version of that french title
liked that one just fine too :)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

A very cool vinyl Czech story:

http://seattletimes.com/html/businesste ... ylxml.html

quotes:
- A Czech company that mothballed instead of sold off its vinyl pressing machines is riding the wave of the LP revival, thanks to a fleet of half-century-old presses still capable of producing top-quality discs.
- Lodenice, a village 16 miles outside Prague, is home to the world’s biggest producer of vinyl.
- A computer transmits the signal to a turntable outfitted with a diamond needle. The needle cuts the copper-plated master disc in real time, which means Leber usually has to listen to the entire album while checking the freshly cut disc through a microscope. The job has broadened his musical horizons, he says. “It enriches you.”
- To make its records, GZ employs a widely used technique called direct metal mastering. A master disc is submerged in a “galvanic bath” for about an hour until it’s covered with a layer of nickel.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Concerning Vangelis:

'Heaven & Hell' & 'Albedo 0.39' are pretty awesome imo. Not too much New Age on there, its all more in the vain of classic 70ies progrock style, with a lot of surprising weird and jazzy sounding pieces. Ok, Heaven &Hell has got the Yes-vocalist on there, but its still far from their 80ies stuff a la "Find my way Home" (although I actually like that one - childhood memories you know :) )
Magnificient Insignificance
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I took a swing at Vangelis about 16 months ago :)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=309&p=5120&hilit=vangelis#p5170
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Oh, didn't see that, cool. I only got the remastered editions of Heaven & Hell, Albedo and Spiral so far. I think those 3 are among his best work and a good way to start.

In 1974 he was supposed to be the replacement of Rick Wakeman as keyboardist for Yes on their 'Relayer' album. Still damn curious about what THAT would have sounded like...
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross

Post by Ross »

Just finishing Chandra The Phantom Ferry Part II, nearing the end of my TD journey. Given that they're both Edgar solo albums, was surprised by how much I enjoyed these two. Much more atmosphere-led than most of the post-'70s stuff, particularly tracks 2 - 5 on Part 1. Certainly not TD classics, but not painful to listen to either.

I have the four Sonic Poems to listen to this week, which will contain a refreshing number of Thorsten pieces, then I think I'll have listened to enough Tangerine Dream to last me a lifetime! Also, Idlewild just put out a new record and that's going to be taking up a lot of my listening time for the next few weeks.