What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Pandemonium »

The best thing I've heard in indian/electronic/fusion music is definitely Tabla Beat Science

http://www.discogs.com/artist/99374-Tabla-Beat-Science

- the album is awesome, the live is even better, and the DVDs are fucking Madhouse! :)

---

PS - also, the McLaughlin / Husain project - Remember Shakti

http://www.discogs.com/Remember-Shakti- ... se/3757831
You're doin' too much, do less.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

yes those are both great the former of which is a laswell offspring

never seen the dvd so i'll see if netflix has it ;)
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I've been listening to The Assassin Outtakes by The Orb, which seems to be never ending, but has some interesting alternative versions - seems to get more ambient and zoned out towards the end.

I'll be giving the Intelligent Communication EPs a listen after that and then will revisit Blackhill Transmitter EPs 1-3 in one go, now I have them all on one device together.
I am the eye that looks within
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

I'm really hoping for a physical release of Blackhill Transmitter in the future, it's such a good set of EPs, and I'm likely to listen to it a lot more if I have it on disc. Listening to them now, in fact...
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Yeah, I am a big fan of these EPs, I was quite surprised at how well they fit together when played sequentially. I thought the 2nd one was going to stick out as being very different because of Loko Motive but it didn't really. Probably the best latter day alter-ego of them in my opinion, though in some ways it's not a million miles from the Yage album.

The Principles of Motion EP sounds fantastic sound quality wise in this incarnation. I'm loving the Drive EP as well, that 2007 version is really surprising. I hope some of the other early EPs creep out in a similar vein. I know a lot of it ended up on Earthbeat, but there's a lot of remixes and b-sides that are hard to get hold of. Fuzzy Logic for example with at least Theme from Hot Burst as a bonus from Earthbeat.

Today I was playing Brendan Pollard's expansion on the way in and am now listening to Bob Marley's Songs of Freedom.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I dunno Dell, we should make a poll for the next re-release :)

Yage - Fuzzy Logic (with some bonus Yage tracks from the early days) and Twitch - Bacteria From a Baboons Stomach are some of the obvious choices :)

I also wouldn't mind seeing a whole album/compilation of Mental Cube: Chile of The Bass Generation + So This Is Love + Q + bonuses... - they were released on Debut though, so I don't know about the copyrights.
(Passion Music is parent label to both Debut and Jumpin' & Pumpin' so it probably wouldn't be a problem...)
You're doin' too much, do less.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Yeah, there is a lot of Mental Cube stuff from way back when - 3 singles, a track on Pulse Four, plus of course that remixes EP that came out a couple of years ago. The original stuff was pretty high quality and reasonably successful. I guess only they know what bonus stuff they have sitting around, or possibly they don't of course, it might get Brian digging though boxes anyway.

Mind you, if only about 10 of us on here buy the Intelligent Communication stuff, us suggesting these things might be short lived!
Ultimately, it would be nice to have all of these early singles rereleased in some form on fsoldigital, and any bonuses would be a, er, bonus...

I guess it's all down to licensing, as is the occasionally mentioned remixes compilation.
Ross

Post by Ross »

It'd be great to have their entire back catalogue available through FSOLDigital at some point - even just a digital compilation of all the early tracks that aren't on Pulse EPs, Accelerator or By Any Other Name would be fine. Would like to have some high quality, clean copies of some of those tracks.

np Neotropic - Mr. Brubaker's Strawberry Alarm Clock
Not at all a breaks fan, but Riz's two '90s albums are superb.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

I'm sure their ultimate goal is to have their whole back catalogue on fsoldigital in some form.

Virgin might have a thing to say about that though, or which ever conglomerate it is now owning virgin's back catalogue... Universal?
Ross

Post by Ross »

Yeah, probably not cost effective for them to license digital rights from them, but they have still secured physical stock to sell...
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

dell1972 wrote:Bob Marley's Songs of Freedom.

great box! ;)
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

This lovely mix - http://datashat.net/music_for_programmi ... ssette.mp3
Tracklisting - http://musicforprogramming.net/ (#31)

Nicely Electronic Brainstorm esque....
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

nice budd type of vibe here

tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Been getting into The Cramps (been meaning to do so for ages), listening to new Swervedriver some, a guy called Ethernet (he's on Kranky), The Cartel Remixes and Thrill Kill Kult.

The new Swervedriver is making some impact, nice to see.. it's not a classic or anything mind blowing IMO but still pretty listenable. Yen Pox (dark ambient gods) just announced a new album, can't wait for that..

from the source flows the endless...
Ross

Post by Ross »

Brian Eno - My Squelchy Life

Still baffled by him scrapping this and releasing the incredibly inferior Nerve Net in its place.