What are you listening to?

Any NON-FSOL based music chatter can go right about here....
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by epitome »

seedy wrote: when i think of music universally labeled "prog" i think of complex rhythms and lots of composed structure that goes along with it. surely there are bouts of improv but they still fit tightly into the framework and once that section is over it's back to the notation
I'm on the same wavelength as you again. Particularly with modern prog like Porcupine Tree, I don't think they get overly noodly. I do listen to quite a lot of prog-alt rock crossovers, or even prog metal stuff though and I tend to stay away from the wankier side like Dream Theatre.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

well i do hope you listen to king crimson

and i don't believe you are there yet......but once you are ready to enter the realm between say....ozric/floyd/sabbath/crimson........you simply must check out some GONG :!: ;)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

What I've heard of King Crimson seemed to vary between really good and kinda boring, so I didn't bother getting into them.

I have seen Gong popping up on my Amazon recommendations but haven't tried them.

np:
Bush - Man on the Run
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

This week has probably been the best week for new releases this year. Quite varied too:
Slipknot (metal)
Bush (pop-rock)
Burnt Belief (prog rock, jazzy weird instrumental)
Audio (drum n bass or something)

Good times. Except for everything non-music, which is shit.
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

hmmmm i can't really think of too much boring crimson aside from maybe sections of "Lizards"
i mean their latest albums are straight heavy sounding

gong....without a single doubt the intro about i would recommend is "YOU"
space rock masterpiece right thurr 8-)
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

I recently saw an interview with David Allen on TV, and noticed 2 things:
1. This man obviously must have got stuck on some acid-trip years ago
2. Having arrived his 70th year or something he slowly turned into the living version of those little dwarfs from the ozrics covers (i think they are called 'erps' or something) - not sure if this man is terrestrial...

np - ozrics - everything from 94´-99´ - cranium is ready for take off - :D
Magnificient Insignificance
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

lol dennis - i had both of those observations very long ago!

he actually is just getting over a bunch of radiation therapy for cancer
supposed to be totally weak and frail....but now cancer free and back on the mend

here's hoping, that's for sure.
man is still an awesome musical presence at his age :)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

and dennis - this will spook you out EVEN more

there is a book i at times read to my son - "Happy Halloween Little Critter"
the artist really must be an ozric fan or something because the mask that this dad tries on in the book is the SPITTING IMAGE of an Erpman

check it (thanks google, interwebs):

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/bpwCWDBWzAA/hqdefault.jpg
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Right, I'm going to have to say it...

I think Cydonia might be my favourite Orb album. Or at least it would be if it wasn't for the track Egnable, which spoils it. Why would they think anyone would want to listen to two minutes of someone talking crap in the middle of the album?

In fact, The Orb have some pretty bad choices for samples, in most of their albums. I presume they're going for humour, but it doesn't really work, especially not if it's something you're listening to repeatedly for a few weeks - it gets old pretty fast.

But anyway, the rest of Cydonia I'm really loving. It feels fresh and even the tracks with vocals (which I often worry about from musicians who are primarily instrumental) are good.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

epitome wrote:I think Cydonia might be my favourite Orb album. Or at least it would be if it wasn't for the track Egnable, which spoils it. Why would they think anyone would want to listen to two minutes of someone talking crap in the middle of the album?
This is the version for you then :) - http://www.discogs.com/Orb-Cydonia-Vers ... se/1302022
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Cool! Don't suppose I'll be able to find that though!

I'm going to try and get hold of the Orbsessions things though, which look like they have some of those tracks on them?
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

epitome wrote:Cool! Don't suppose I'll be able to find that though!

I'm going to try and get hold of the Orbsessions things though, which look like they have some of those tracks on them?
Though it's naughty and illegal and wrong as it's not commercially for sale maybe hunt for Cydonia demo version 1 and 2 on a torrent-y place. IMO the longer 2xCD version is the best - http://www.discogs.com/Orb-Cydonia/release/668898
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I will have a search when I get home tonight. I thought it might be a bit too obscure to find now though.

Are the tracks that made the released version of Cydonia much different in these versions?
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

epitome wrote:I will have a search when I get home tonight. I thought it might be a bit too obscure to find now though.

Are the tracks that made the released version of Cydonia much different in these versions?
It's been a while, don't think there's too much difference in the tracks that got released - Think Terminus might be a bit longer.

Seem to remember it being circulated quite widely on the net when I hunted for it before
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I had a quick look for it just now on a few sites and with a Google but I didn't see it anywhere. I'll look again tonight though.