From the Archives 7 out November 19th

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: From the Archives 7 out November 19th

Post by Pandemonium »

Shifting Sands:

Outer Heaven:

Many Moon Away
You're doin' too much, do less.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Great listen start-to-end
Probably the most flowing in the series, the tracks just trip-out...
Wonderful release.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

That was brills - as a whole probably my favourite of all the From The Archives releases
and ... and.... No glitches 'tween tracks - Cheers guys ! :D

Love the bonus tracks too, proper dark beaty stuff which has always been my favourite style of theirs.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Dennis wrote:strange. weird. hallucinogenic.
Well, what do you expect from FSOL? :P

Excellent as always... the quality of these releases is really stable. It's really hard to say which one is my fav. I certainly like this more than Vol. 3 & 4. The whole series is becoming really, really epic body of work. Keep 'em coming..
from the source flows the endless...
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

fking brilliant!! can't wait for my prepaid card to be sorted out so that i can order my copy :(
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Nice extras. Just had an email with a link to download the rest of the album, saying the cd has shipped. Sadly the link doesn't work, says Invalid download. It's the thought that counts eh?

As ever these days, the new release seems to be freely available to download from more dubious sources the moment it got out there, complete with bonus tracks.
I am the eye that looks within
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

dell1972 wrote:As ever these days, the new release seems to be freely available to download from more dubious sources the moment it got out there, complete with bonus tracks.
I'd be very disappointed if it's been upped by any of you folks on here :(
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

It appeared on various sites a few hours after it was made available from FSOLDigital. Typical, really.

I am hoping mine will be waiting on my doorstep when I get back home this evening.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Only FSOL manage to make a gunshot sound dreamy. To be heard in 'Temples'.

The album grew on me immensly during the last days, I would it now rank it on the same level as the last two archives, if not even better.
'Shifting Sands' is the killer.
Magnificient Insignificance
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Was my post removed - I poster right after Dell... about the illegal downloads...

All I said was - there will always be free downloads - people thinking this could b stopped are deluding themselves for over a decade now...

I download albums every day - but FSOL and a handful of other bands hold a special place in my heart, so I support them and buy originals from them.

PS - Pete, the places that I know of, where the new album is uploaded - the What-people and the main Russian site - it wasn't done by anyone from here. I know 'cos you can see who uploaded the album, the username, and I know the usernames of the people that reside here - so my educated guess is no. :)
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Pandemonium wrote:Was my post removed - I poster right after Dell... about the illegal downloads...
Just checked the logs and nothing seems to be removed, so not sure man :?
Pandemonium wrote: PS - Pete, the places that I know of, where the new album is uploaded - the What-people and the main Russian site - it wasn't done by anyone from here. I know 'cos you can see who uploaded the album, the username, and I know the usernames of the people that reside here - so my educated guess is no. :)
Ah, that's good to hear - cheers for the heads up :D
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Let's be honest guys, I really dont think there are any angels in here, including myself of course. Even before the era of our digital world, mp3 and filesharing, people had tape recorders, and I cant really imagine somebody who is in love with music not taping stuff from friends and stuff, everybody whom Ive known in my life, everybody has made tons of copied tapes, and this is a reality. Since the copying of tapes was/is is also illegal, then everybody is illegal. This is a very bizarre issue, on one hand it is not fair for the artists who spend countless and countless hours to create beautiful music, and in the end watching your soul and creation being shared by thousands of people, while only a few people have bought it, everybody can imagine how heartbreaking this could be.

Even though I have a whole library of Cd's Ive bought, I used to be probably one of the worst download freaks out there, a pure maniac id say, even since the time of dial up when u needed probably an hour to download one song from old free napster or audiogalaxy. And then ADSL came into our lives...

My opinion about the issue is when you truly love something and it means a lot to you, you will always want to return this joy somehow and buy it. But I also wonder, what would an artist prefer, somebody to go and buy his CD that will be thrown to some shelf and get dusted for years after the first listen or a passionate lunatic who will be playing his album on mp3 non stop all day long and be happy as hell. i think this question has some sense.

As for Archives 7, yesterday morning i saw that it is shared on a massive Russian private torrent tracker and already has had 265 downloads, I dont have a what account so dont know whats going on there. After listening to some samples from A7 on youtube its obvious that i wanted to download it like fucking crazy from Russians, but FSOL have given me so much, they have practically made me who I am, so I didnt even care. Im not going to spoil my surprise and will wait for my copy, even if Im going to be the last one who will listen to A7 on fsolboard. Im not saying that to sound cool or something, that would be pretending because as i said Im no angel, but what i mean is that when u truly love something, something that has changed your life, you will always try to find a way to give this love back, this idea could only make you happier.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

In a perfect world or some other society, the artist should not make his art for money or for a living per se -
but we don't live in that world.

On the other hand, the music fans and music lovers should not rely on money (or to be more precise, the lack of money) to be able to listen as much music as they want - and here lies the beauty of download piracy - you can hear anything you want as much as you won't.

And about the download-mania, while we're on the topic, I'm ashamed and amazed in the same time by "me" and my downloaded archives. I have more than 24000 releases on 6TB hard-disks (and 6 more for backup) - I've been collecting these since 1997. And yes, I've heard almost 70% of those :)
As for the originals, I have around 700 CDs - bought for support only, most of them are opened only once to be recorded on the HDD, and some aren't open at all. And about a 100 releases in other physical formats.

PS - Pete, I've uploaded on the What-place some of the expired FSOL releses, like KissFM and some vinyl-only old releases, but that's just because I think that that community does more good for FSOL (and musicians and music in general) than harm. I hope that's OK :)
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Pandemonium wrote:PS - Pete, I've uploaded on the What-place some of the expired FSOL releses, like KissFM and some vinyl-only old releases, but that's just because I think that that community does more good for FSOL (and musicians and music in general) than harm. I hope that's OK :)
So long as it's done outside of these 'ere forum walls and not mentioned here you can commit treason for all that it concerns me* :D

* p.s. I'm not condoning treason of any form !
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

a facebook post from displacer (M-Tronic/Tympanik/Hymen) a few days ago. . .

To follow up on yesterday's post about torrents and filesharing... It's been one day... Foundation is now on over 15 servers I can see from one quick search. I know I can't stop this... and blah blah blah insert musician rant here... you've heard it before. Everyone is suffering... but I just thought I'd like to put it out there anyway so maybe a few more of you might understand that this is not in any way good for me or the label if you download it for free. One server alone has over 1100 likes already. wow. Do you understand I might have been able to pay my rent with the amount you just stole from me? I made a conscious decision this year to stay freelance as an art director so I could also focus on my music career. I spent so much time and effort making music for you, if you could just support me this one time by at least purchasing the album through a digital medium for the FIRST WEEK my album is released I might feel a little validated that a year of my life went to something worthwhile. We really count on this to move forward in our lives. This may be my last album on a CD even... we don't even know where we'll end up in a year. I even spent an ungodly amount of hours just designing something nice for you to keep in your collection. That digital pdf you stole with all the print art was easily over 80 hours of my design time. And if you don't know what a label does I could easily keep going here. They're trying to keep music alive. Please help and do the same by giving your support. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Last edited by dubmasta on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.