What are you watching at the moment? (TV, DVD,whatever)

Anything goes. But keep it clean buster...
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Re: What are you watching at the moment? (TV, DVD,whatever)

Post by tryptych »

Not exactly at the moment, but lately.. some movies you've may not seen:

The Holy Mountain (1973) / http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071615/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The definition of (oc)cult film, I watch this at least once a year.

______

Upstream Color (2013) / http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2084989/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Went to see this in the cinema. Disappointing. It never really captured me.
_______

Enter The Void (2009) / http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1191111/?ref_=nv_sr_1

At first I didn't like how the psychedelic community (and especially DMT, I hate when it's associated with drugs) is portrayed in this film, it's unnecessarily gory. The visual appearance OTOH is absolutely stunning. The opening credits/scene is probably one of (if not) the coolest I've ever seen. A little bit of bad vibes, but it does make a point in some way.
from the source flows the endless...
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Sorry to hear you didn't really get on with Upstream Color - It's stuck with me ever since going to the cinema to see it over a month ago

Big fan of Enter The Void - I've actually purchased it on Blu Ray twice (first got stolen), and had to navigate through the German version of Amazon to pick up a copy - as it seems to be the only country that sells a copy that's compatible in the UK with removable subtitles (they're burned in on the French version, the US one is a different region, and the UK only has it released on DVD)
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

To me, Upstream Color seemed kinda hollow.. it's surrealism for surrealisms sake, a bit like the latest David Lynch movies, weird for weirds sake. It's almost an art film. I can really see where the director is coming from and what he's trying to do but I like to have at least some kind of plot. It was also in a way too "soft" for me, that's one of the reasons I didn't care for Mr. Nobody either, even that I really wanted to like it.

UC has some great pretty cool cinematography too, and the bathroom scene (which is featured on the cover) was probably the most memorable one.

About Enter The Void.. I'm kinda touchy about how the psychedelics are presented to the masses, it's already a pretty controversial subject.. although the movie makes a pretty good example how not to do DMT and in what kind of surrounding. Yes, the visuals are pretty fucking cool, but I disliked the way the substance is completely taken out of the spiritual context and that side of the of the experience. It portraits the trip WAY too dark. DMT isn't really like that.

Visually it's just super, super beautiful, a masterpiece even. The transitions, floating scenes.. unbelievable execution. It's a pretty long and heavy trip.

I know that the dark, nihilistic presentation is Noes' trademark.. there was an article about him where he told about his journeys to the Ayahuasca retreats in Peru and experiences with the Curanderos.. so I find his nihilistic world view kinda strange and surprising.

______

Reading this myself, I've come to the conclusion that the golden road lies somewhere between the ultra-harsh (sur)realism and the soft dream-like state that these movies both represent. Maybe these guys should get together :D
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I watched Elysium ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535108/?ref_=sr_1 ) yesterday at Cineplexx.

It's a really solid sci-fi movie.
I like Blomkamp's work very much, how every detail is in place, every CGI is made with perfect attention, everything is dirty and real. I guess that what you get when a visual effects guy turns into a director. Ans he's still very young and I believe he'll get even better.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535108/tri ... tt_trv_trv (I spotted 6 of these when I watched it).

Copley (the main actor from District 9) had an excellent performance once again.
This movie was maybe made better than District 9, but D9 had better story.
You're doin' too much, do less.
The Haze
Hardhead

Post by The Haze »

Ancient Aliens.

It's interesting, but i wonder if even they themselves believe some of the wacky theories that they come out with. :D
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Ancient Aliens can be only summed with this age old meme:

Not doing anything positive for the already dubious field of UFOlogy :D
The Haze
Hardhead

Post by The Haze »

tryptych wrote:Ancient Aliens can be only summed with this age old meme:

Not doing anything positive for the already dubious field of UFOlogy :D
:D I hear you, but i admire Giorgio's enthusiasm lol. He looks like a cross between a mad scientist and a used cars salesman.

I'm a skeptical person myself and can't really say I've experienced anything that was unexplainable. But I've had an interest in the paranormal from a young age and there are some things that happen which can't be explained by science as we no it no matter how many people attempt to brush such occurrences under the carpet. There is evidence, and in some cases even scientific explanations given to try to debunk something as paranormal seem to hold no water.
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

I don't actually think that the UFO phenomenon has anything to do with "paranormal".. since I think, in the end, everything has a logical explanation. I think that what we think as paranormal is actually something that has yet to be explained by science. Otherwise it wouldn't exist, right? :D

As some leading UFOlogist said (can't remember who it was) something like "95% of the sightings are hoaxes, misinterpretations and natural aerial phenomenon. Then there's the 5% that cannot be explained straight away, and then there's the 1% that are left unexplained".

We saw something during one summer a few years back. There were five of us, we were going to a beach party one night here in Helsinki. Suddenly everybody just looked up as something like 3 star-like objects moved synchronically into a single point, across the whole sky. I mean, they came from different corners of the visible sky, in a perfect triangular formation and then met in the middle. Then it just disappeared after a few seconds. It's hands down weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Later we met two other guys who were elsewhere at the time and they had seen it too! There is NO WAY it's anything man made, since they were obviously very, very far away and they just filled the whole sky.. and I can't think of any natural phenomenon that fits the description.

I'm not saying what it was.

I've probably seen every decent UFO documentary there is, discussed sightings and similar experiences for years.. I was pretty obsessed. UFOlogy is weird, seems like you can't even penetrate the surface, and it leads to other things.. it such a shame that the scene is mostly filled with con men and hoaxers.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

I have a lot to discuss on the UFO theme...
but right now I'm too lazy to type :)

I'm just gonna say I definitely believe in intelligent life on other planets and that they've come to observe,
because as they say - it would be a gigantic waste of space if there was nobody else out there :)
Akkya
Expander

Post by Akkya »

they do exist - to me at least

Disclosure Project is interesting this year...
tryptych
Smokin Japanese Babe

Post by tryptych »

Unfortunately Mr. Greer has been exposed millions of times of being nothing but a con man.. but that doesn't make the guest testimonies bunk 'tho. Also William Cooper (who I at first thought was the real deal) has been debunked in several occasions.

Finding good info on the subject is like finding a needle in a haystack. Too many hoaxers and just plain out crazies.

But I guess that everybody who's into the "thing" know now that we're being told fuck all.

Any ATS:ers here btw? ;)

www.abovetopsecret.com

You'll meet some of the strangest, weirdest, most wonderful people there. And a whole lot of loonies.
The Haze
Hardhead

Post by The Haze »

Speaking of UFOS, History (UK) are airing a new program starting Sunday called "Shaun Ryder on UFOS ".

With the amount of drugs this guy was on back in the day, nothing he saw would surprise me. :mrgreen:
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Come see the other half of cubus do acting as I do the soundtrack and editing (some of you guys might recognise the track from a variation appearing in a recent Terminal Radio appearance -

[vimeo]78868243[/vimeo]

Watch in HD and full screen if poss.
beetles
Expander

Post by beetles »

I watched Berberian Sound Studio a couple of days ago.Not too bad.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Masters of Sex
a great new TV show - it sounds too much but actually is a great true story of how the sexual revolution begun (no, the hippies did not started it :) )

check it out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_Sex

the real story:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_and_Johnson