Blackhill Transmitter EP

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Blackhill Transmitter EP

Post by mcbpete »

So it's kinda got a bit hidden in the FSOLDigital uber-topic so thought it'd be best to have a split topic about it.

So what are we thinking then - a side project by Brian and/or Gary ? Personally I'm going for a solo thing by Brian, there's quite a bit of Woodlands of Old-esque vibes in there, and Polemical style / old EMS sounding glitchy noises too.

Really nice though, great little EP that I'd love to hear more in this style. The opener is an absolute belter and the granularly stretched (Paulstretched ?) Karman Line is bloody nice an' all !
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: Blackhill Transmitter EP

Post by Pandemonium »

I'm gonna just copy my previous two comments, because I still feel them 100% :)

Blackhill Transmitter is scaring me a lot.
I mean, like there's something in the background, something in the shadows...

If I listen to it with 100% attention, it's really good and, what I would say normal scary for FSOL,
but if I leave it in the background and not pay 100% attention, it creeps me out every damn time...

I really can't remember the last time I so literally scared from a piece of music...

---

Blackhill Transmitter - I'm 90% sure it's Brian & Gary, and if not, I'm 100% sure it's Brian solo - I'd bet real money on this :)

Over the years, and especially this last one, going over chronologically - I see a pattern where Yage is the imaginary entity producer that emerges when Brian and Gary put their heads together in a studio. I'd say there can be no Yage without these two brains together...

So yeah, I'd say its a safe bet...

And I wouldn't mind being proven wrong - I'd just like to hear the official word from the guys...
You're doin' too much, do less.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Acutally, I know what the EP reminds me of now. The album 'For Those Who Hear Actual Voices' by Zane Trow (previews here: http://boomkat.com/downloads/76493-zane ... ual-voices - the intermittent beeps aren't actually part of the tracks, Boomkat add them for copyright purposes)
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

are we sure Yage denotes both brains working together? It sounds awfully like Brian solo, unless these are cast off tracks from their recent sessions they feel didn't fit into any upcoming albums.
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

"Produced by Yage" on both EMS and Blackhill Transmitter, since Yage=FSOL the only thing for sure is that it has been produced by both of them, now who wrote the material is a question.
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

BHT EP has a lot of analogue noise, organized, coincidental, both, who knows... I'd go with both...
I imagine its one of those compositions where the people making it have gone that far in mastering unique analogue instruments,
to the degree that "wrote the material" isn't something we could say about this...
Made the material on the spot is more like it, and those machines should be credited too :)
(I wonder what exactly they use these days to make their sound, I imagine Brian building instruments for experiments in that church...)
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

My rule on this is if it's purely electronic, it's Brian solo. This is just a hypothesis, but I still don't think Gaz is particularly into purely electronic sound - the amount of actual instrumentation on Environments 4 really suggesting this to me. Remember that Polemical was credited to the pair of them on the FSOLDigital Mix, and that's blatantly Brian's circuit bent experiments. Also I remember Seafar suggesting that Yage was Brian with help from Will White.
I'd love some confirmation too (if you're reading, Brian?), but for the moment this is all we have to go on.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Ok yeah, this EP is really lovely, kind of wish it was an album, would be great to hear more with this creepy rural feel to it. Marvellous stuff.
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

As much as Brian records by himself or without Gary, I would love to hear Gaz take a swipe at recording solo, even if it was acapella! Lol
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages